IGNORED

Donkey Kong 3 Arcade

ColecoFan1981

A period-piece Colecovision release would deserve a period-correct box. Recall that boxes like Congo Bongo, Bump N Jump, and Spy Hunter had full artwork on the front, and used the slogan "For Colecovision and ADAM Family Computer System".

It looks like the one I made for CBS.

3d-dk3cbs.jpg

Edited by Crapahute
  • Like 2

That looks great, Greg, but I dunno... Maybe it's the blue color along the edges, but when I look at that box mockup image, my mind says "Intellivision!". :P

Haha Luc! You've got a point there. That'd be enough to scare me off. Inty DK suuuuuucccckkkkkkssss!!

It looks like the one I made for CBS.

3d-dk3cbs.jpg

Yah Vince, nice work too! I love the 3D images you've been generating.

Actually I wouldn't mind to see this game appear on the CV if the controls are done smoothly. I used to be really good on the arcade game because of the joystick controls and when it was released on the NES with the D-Pad it was just awful. Playable but I wasn't nearly as good or as fun.

• 3 years later...

My feelings on DK3 are very mixed. While I didn't hate the game, it most certainly was my least favorite of the 3 DK arcade games released and it rarely gets played in my DK arcade cabinet at home. (Which has all three games in it.) On the other hand, it would be nice to have the "complete collection" of DK games on the ColecoVision, but I can't help to think there are many other arcade games I'd rather see ported first.

My feelings on DK3 are very mixed. While I didn't hate the game, it most certainly was my least favorite of the 3 DK arcade games released and it rarely gets played in my DK arcade cabinet at home. (Which has all three games in it.) On the other hand, it would be nice to have the "complete collection" of DK games on the ColecoVision, but I can't help to think there are many other arcade games I'd rather see ported first.

Finally, someone who agrees with me on that. As much as it was criticized when it came out, it seems that people today are always calling it their favorite. I don't think it deserves either. Most of the arcade games I like have been ported, the only ones left for me would be some more Pac-Mans (including Baby Pac-Man, using digital pinball) and, because it never got a single home port and deserves another chance, Radar Scope. And since I'm a Nintendo fan, I would like DK3 to be ported. I've only played the arcade version a few times, but from my little experience and from what I've heard, the NES version is quite lacking in comparison, so maybe the CV could do better there.

However, something I would rather have done than DK3 would be better arcade ports of games. Since DK Arcade is already just a few months before release (and DK Jr. possibly coming next near as well), my top pick would be Mario Bros. It'd also be nice to have ones such as Moon Patrol, Time Pilot, and Rally-X.

Either way, a website claims that Opcode is releasing DK3 next year.

It has been also ported on Japanese 8bit computer NEC and Sharp , i think.

Yes, under the name "Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu" (great counterstrike). This was sort of a semi-sequel as well, as it played much more like Galaga, such as having the platforming elements removed and adding bonus stages.

Grazi!

Yeah, it's a real shame there's not a single other controller option for the ColecoVision besides the stock one...

Collectorvision released a great real arcade feel controller a couple years back, but they stopped producing it. Maybe they'll start again, though. They also planned to release arcade controllers for specific games, but I believe that either this never came to be, or only a limited number were released.

Yeah, it's a real shame there's not a single other controller option for the ColecoVision besides the stock one...

Collectorvision released a great real arcade feel controller a couple years back, but they stopped producing it. Maybe they'll start again, though. They also planned to release arcade controllers for specific games, but I believe that either this never came to be, or only a limited number were released.

I was being sarcastic. ;)

Yes I had that in mind.

I was being sarcastic. ;)

I have you on my ignore list but now that you're a global moderator I'm now forced to read your posts unfortunately for me.

• Like 1

GRAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO GUYS, I'M HERE!
I'm still discovering this whole forum thing so I was not receiving the notifications about this thread and today Ed woke me up saying "Baby, thousand fans are requesting you at AA, they want existential answers!" and I was like :sleep: WHAT?! :-o hahaha But here I am. | :)

I answer this and I get in trouble with Grazi. So I better steer away and leave to her... :P

Graaaaaziiiiii!!!

Yes, husb! You have to focus only on coding games and loving me. =P

Besides, my arcade todo list is already full. For any new game to get it, some other must get out.

Indeed, our game list for 2016/2017 is mostly full, and to put a new game on the list means to take off one game, but anyway it's always good for us to see what game you guys are interested in, sometimes I receive emails from people saying "Do you have plans for game 'X'?? because i'd love to see this game in Coleco/Intellivision, it's part of my childhood, etc." and it's really nice to read that stuff, it guides us for what you like most. =)

• Like 1