IGNORED

Donkey Kong 3 Arcade

ColecoFan1981

I've never minded flicker, so that wouldn't be a problem. Other than that, for the other palettes I mean giving Mario and Luigi their arcade colors, and making everything a bit darker. For the sounds, I just mean making the sounds sound more like the arcade in terms of pitch and tone and things like that, not rhythm.

For the most part, you're asking for things the ColecoVision cannot technically do.

And how would the SGM allow you to save high scores? All it offers is extra RAM and an MSX sound chip. :)

Actually it is the Super Game Cartridge that allows that, not the Super Game Module. They are complementary, and you will see that SGC feature in action once we release Gradius, and of course with almost every single arcade port after that, as well as some adventure games.

• Like 1

I never tried this: can you plug your joystick into the roller controller and use the stick for control and the buttons on the roller controller at the same time?

I am almost positive that the four Roller Controller firebuttons can be used at any time you want... even if you are using the Hand Controller(s) plugged into the R.C. ports.

It's been a long time since I hooked up the R.C., so verification is needed.

Speaking of the Roller Controller trakball, it makes a great mouse for the Adam, especially with PowerPaint by Digital Express.

I wanted to chime in that I started in June 1st, 2013. I redrew the sprite graphic to CV Sprite 2 tool and then used ICVGM to draw the tileset. I have it programmed very little, having the character moving around and able to sprite. I have the 4 color Stanley sprite flicker between sprite 2-5 1 frame, and then 28-31 other frame. To ensure that Stanley is visible to the player at all time. The puffer object is limited to 3 at a time. I have the control to press up to jump up, and down to jump down(Have the pointer table for the jumping part. You could automatically slip off the edge to the lower platform, however the NES version does not allow that. At the time, I didn't know how to program it to debounce the side button so I could do rapid fire. So you can hold down the side button to have it fire continuely whenever the "cooldown" timer reach zero. There's only 2 puffers on screen at a time for the NES version. I have DK with sprite overlay for the face.

Graphic:post-24767-0-64658300-1467863387_thumb.png

Gifeo:post-24767-0-02051300-1467863607_thumb.gif

My thoughts:

One thing would be hard for me to figure out how to do enemy AI and their behavior.

Do the game in screen mode 2 bitmap mode so having DK being behind the vines in the later level would be possible.

DK big sprite once he fall off the vine would clear the enemies, spritesheet swap, and then fall down and Stanley would be doomed. Stanley victory dance animation would be swap in once he get DK into the beehive and fall down. This is missing in the NES version.

I had to stop since it is a ton of work for me to do, I'm sorry. I do suffer depression and bipolar disorder stuff. Opcode can take the rein if he want to do the project.

• Like 6

Kiwi, That looks fantastic! More than enough to show proof of concept. It can be done well.

I wanted to chime in that I started in June 1st, 2013. I redrew the sprite graphic to CV Sprite 2 tool and then used ICVGM to draw the tileset. I have it programmed very little, having the character moving around and able to sprite. I have the 4 color Stanley sprite flicker between sprite 2-5 1 frame, and then 28-31 other frame. To ensure that Stanley is visible to the player at all time. The puffer object is limited to 3 at a time. I have the control to press up to jump up, and down to jump down(Have the pointer table for the jumping part. You could automatically slip off the edge to the lower platform, however the NES version does not allow that. At the time, I didn't know how to program it to debounce the side button so I could do rapid fire. So you can hold down the side button to have it fire continuely whenever the "cooldown" timer reach zero. There's only 2 puffers on screen at a time for the NES version. I have DK with sprite overlay for the face.

Graphic:attachicon.gifDK3.png

Gifeo:attachicon.gifDKAnimation.gif

My thoughts:

One thing would be hard for me to figure out how to do enemy AI and their behavior.

Do the game in screen mode 2 bitmap mode so having DK being behind the vines in the later level would be possible.

DK big sprite once he fall off the vine would clear the enemies, spritesheet swap, and then fall down and Stanley would be doomed. Stanley victory dance animation would be swap in once he get DK into the beehive and fall down. This is missing in the NES version.

I had to stop since it is a ton of work for me to do, I'm sorry. I do suffer depression and bipolar disorder stuff. Opcode can take the rein if he want to do the project.

Actually it is the Super Game Cartridge that allows that, not the Super Game Module. They are complementary, and you will see that SGC feature in action once we release Gradius, and of course with almost every single arcade port after that, as well as some adventure games.

What is a Super Game Cartridge? I thought it just meant that it was an SGM game.

For the most part, you're asking for things the ColecoVision cannot technically do.

Really, I'd be fine if a few colors were changed, mainly making the enemies two colors (as I've mentioned before, I don't mind flicker), and, to match the arcade colors making Mario's hat blue and Luigi's shirt black. The only other things would be an increase in difficulty and icicles on later levels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...