IGNORED

Zellers 2600 Games

Pong

Well, you certainly found one of the rarest Zellers Games.

CIB or loose?

For some collectors these are highly collectible and they will give you a good price for it.

Why they exist?

Because they do (and because Zellers in Canada once decided to sell a load of imported Taiwanese 2600 Compatible carts).

Ask Omegamatrix if you want to know more.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

It's loose, sadly, but it doesn't take up so much space on my shelf because of that.

Amazingly, Zellers still exists here (meant to be replaced by Target), so I think I'm going to go and ask them if they have Atari 2600 games that they "produced". And film it.

Amazingly, Zellers still exists here (meant to be replaced by Target), so I think I'm going to go and ask them if they have Atari 2600 games that they "produced". And film it.

Good luck with that! I have made several inquiries over the years (well above the individual store level) and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. Remember that the vast majority of people do not care about old video games, and they are highly unlikely to remember a product last in the stores some 25 years ago.

It would be very interesting to find out who the original manufacturer (or, at least, wholesaler) was, but that information is probably long gone to dust.

Good luck with that! I have made several inquiries over the years (well above the individual store level) and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. Remember that the vast majority of people do not care about old video games, and they are highly unlikely to remember a product last in the stores some 25 years ago.

It would be very interesting to find out who the original manufacturer (or, at least, wholesaler) was, but that information is probably long gone to dust.

Actually, I just want to play a joke on them, that's why. It would be hilarious to get a reaction of "what are you talking about" and then, if they actually do have it (horrendously unlikely), I'm going to buy them.

I remember back in the summer of 2000 when I picked up my Sega Dreamcast at Zeller's when they we're discontinuing stock (a sweet haul!) And in the "Bargain/Junk" Bin was Double Dragon for the 2600, complete in the box, however it wasn't shrinkwrapped of course, plus quite a few creases in the box, and it was priced at $29.99, while the Dreamcast games in the same pile/section were $5. It sat there forever, wonder what happened to it when that store closed down...

My local Zellers had a handful of titles -- I specifically recall seeing Defender II, California Games, and Activision Tennis -- well into the late-1990s. They were eventually written off and dumped (I asked the section/unit manager).

Around the same time, I checked a handful of other stores, especially in smaller communities where there is less traffic, but I did not see anything else. I am truly shocked that Zellers would still have Atari 2600 games in 2000. That was probably due to laziness or simple oversight rather than any hope to still sell the game (at any price).