IGNORED

Screen Flicking Problem

Pong

Connected my Atari, finally, to my TV set-up. It's connected the TV in coax port of my Genesis switchbox, that switchbox is connected to my converter (modern RCA -> COAX, very useful), which is connected to my VHS, which is connected to the TV. It's a horrible method, yet it works.

Anyway, I can play some games like Combat and Missile Command and even Mario Bros. fine on it, but once I choose something like Swordquest and move my character, the screen flickers like mad. I thought it might have been my channel signal selection, yet it changed nothing. My TV has no option on flickering, though, so I can't really do much. The other option was that it's a PAL cart, but I tried my duplicate and the same thing happened.

If anyone wants, I can record myself trying it just so there's some idea on what's going on, but I think that data might be enough. Running on a Darth Vader.

EDIT: Tried every channel combo possible, still nothing. I've tried a few puzzles like the nuclear waterfall, which flickers if you DON'T move, and the run-across-a-highway thing, which flickers whenever it wants.

Edited by Pong

Well, my TV only has the two forks/coax input, it's made of wood, and it doesn't support newer items (anything with the three RCA plugs) well. But, yeah, it's a rolling screen. So, this just happens and I have to live with it?

Ah it is an older tv.... Id say the complex array of inputs you are going through is creating a slight delay. And with the atari which generates the screen one line at a time, timing is important. Try to connect the unit directly to the tv. And you are still getting a rolling screen in these games, does the vcr or genesis have any sych issues?

No issues at all with the VCR or the Genesis, or unless they're way off on the channel settings. Trust me, I've tried changing that, still nothing. I disconnected it from the switchbox and the VCR straight to the TV, and guess what? It still rolls the screen. Also, it started fuzzing out a bit for a minute, but quickly changed back after I stopped my character, probably light connection.

Tried it, webcam made huge file with horrible quality. I'll see if I can get it on VHS with a few other stuff I want to record and then export it when possible. But it's the weirdest thing ever, no documentation at all.