IGNORED

Coleco convention this July 2012, Are you ready?

newcoleco

As I write this, I'm currently chatting with people on the AdamCon.org chatroom. Did you know that you have to pay a fee to attend AdamCon for a single day? Not sure if retroillucid and coleco_master are aware of this... I wouldn't want them to be turned away at the hotel entrance...

EDIT: I was also told that those who cannot come but want to record a video can do so. Such videos will be shown in the main convention room.

Edited by Pixelboy

I'm not sure you have to pay a fee...I thought that was just if you wanted the whole deal (hotel room, meals, etc.)

As I write this, I'm currently chatting with people on the AdamCon.org chatroom. Did you know that you have to pay a fee to attend AdamCon for a single day? Not sure if retroillucid and coleco_master are aware of this... I wouldn't want them to be turned away at the hotel entrance...

EDIT: I was also told that those who cannot come but want to record a video can do so. Such videos will be shown in the main convention room.

I'm not sure you have to pay a fee...I thought that was just if you wanted the whole deal (hotel room, meals, etc.)

I can 100% confirm that you have to pitch in to help pay for the conference room and the lunches. This is what Richard Clee himself told me, and he's the money guy for AdamCon.

So much for just dropping by to check it out and say hi...

I can 100% confirm that you have to pitch in to help pay for the conference room and the lunches. This is what Richard Clee himself told me, and he's the money guy for AdamCon.

That's what I said to Rich last night, in different words. I asked him if people who just wanted to drop by unannounced could pay when they arrived at the hotel. I never got a precise answer from Rich. Or else he may have answered, but the AdamCon chatroom was a little hectic last night...

EDIT: Come to think of it, I don't think Rich even mentionned how much the "vistor's fee" would be...

Edited by Pixelboy

Well, if the truth's to be known, some of the old-timers who are entrenched in these ADAMCon probably don't want outsiders just dropping in. They are a tight-knit bunch and are content with the group they have, rather than encouraging new blood. That's just my personal feeling. I'll probably never get to one of these things anyway. They seem to always be in Canada, or the midwest or east coast of the U.S. ...far out of my travel budget.

That's what I said to Rich last night, in different words. I asked him if people who just wanted to drop by unannounced could pay when they arrived at the hotel. I never got a precise answer from Rich. Or else he may have answered, but the AdamCon chatroom was a little hectic last night...

EDIT: Come to think of it, I don't think Rich even mentionned how much the "vistor's fee" would be...

Well, if the truth's to be known, some of the old-timers who are entrenched in these ADAMCon probably don't want outsiders just dropping in. They are a tight-knit bunch and are content with the group they have, rather than encouraging new blood.

As someone who attended AdamCon two years ago, and will attend again this year, I can say that the above statement is 100% untrue, Joe. You won't find a more welcoming bunch than the "Adam old-timers". :)

I won't be able to make it this year, I think, but I hope to one of these years. However, I can't afford hundreds of dollars to attend the whole event. I just need a few hours or so to meet the people I've communicated with here on AA.

Would be nice if you could spend a weekend in Quebec and by the same time spend a couple of hours at AdamCon

I would be very happy to meet you there!

Perhaps, but that is the perception I've gotten from years and years of email dealings with them. I would hope they would want new people to be interested in the ADAM and ColecoVision...but charging a fee if you just want to stop by to say hi and see what's going on seems a little counter productive. Of course, it would depend on how much that "fee" is...

To be honest -- despite being in this thing from the beginning -- I have never met another person who has owned an ADAM (or even a ColecoVision). All my dealings have been through newsletters I wrote for, postings on CompuServe and ancient BBS systems, or in the modern age -- email!!!

Well, if the truth's to be known, some of the old-timers who are entrenched in these ADAMCon probably don't want outsiders just dropping in. They are a tight-knit bunch and are content with the group they have, rather than encouraging new blood.

As someone who attended AdamCon two years ago, and will attend again this year, I can say that the above statement is 100% untrue, Joe. You won't find a more welcoming bunch than the "Adam old-timers". :)

Well to me it is essential to have a first-timer at AdamCon -- and I always try to find at least one each year. Variety is the spice of life to be sure. And it is a great joy to me to meet in person someone who I know only online or through newsletters. I worked for 10 or 15 years on getting Geoff Oltmans to come in person. And I was very glad he finally did last year.

The fees for AdamCon are based on paying for the event and it is designed to only just break even. I've always made sure that Thursday evening, which is purely social, is free. If you are coming all day on Friday, Saturday or Sunday and want to fully participate, it seems reasonable to have you help pay for the facilities and lunch or Sunday banquet. If you just want to visit for a bit, there is no ticket taker at the door though.

In my opinion if you drive more than a couple of hours to join us, you'd get the best value by spending a whole day. And most people who spend a day want to spend an extra day. So to me that means that there is value in experiencing your obscure retro hobby in person with other like minded people.

So if you want the folder, the lunch and to spend the whole day, the registration form is at: http://ann.hollowdreams.com/ac24register.doc

Edited by hardhat
  • Like 1

Quick news ... I'm not dead, but seriously, some quick news about the convention

First of all I'm looking forward to see you there, even those who can't be there physicaly, because I've a suggestion : Make a video to be presented there!

Video idea : talk about "What ColecoVision is or was for you?" and try to cover from the 80s to now and even give your opinion about the future. And remember "Your vision is our vision, ColecoVision" and it's the 30 years celebration time, don't miss it!

The convention is in about 2 weeks now, and I'm not ready to present anything yet, so I'm gonna concentrate on making my presentations more than coding or doing anything else. I'm looking forward to see again some friendly Coleco guys ... and those of you who still want to go at the convention will have to find a room in another hotel (reason : no vacancy).

Another thing... apparently the convention can be broadcasted (partially) on stickcam web site, ask Dale Wick for more details.

• Like 1

Good Luck with the upcoming ADAMcon, wish I could have gotten the necessary time off work to attend as well as it not falling on my daughter's birthday weekend AGAIN... she's 5 going on 30 so I would definetely be on the hot seat!

I hope the video broadcast with Stickcam or other means will work out again like last year. I really enjoyed it for the other days that I didn't attend.

I will be broadcasting during AdamCon from http://www.stickam.com/adamcon -- I will post notices so that you can drop in and get a gist of what we are doing. The more the merrier. I know that last year opcode and niad were both able to participate via stickam. Sometimes it works better than others but it is always worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope there is some interesting news coming out of ADAMCon this year...anyone heard from the SD Drive guy? Is that ever going to come about?

The member here, else, who create the ADAM SD Drive did not gave us new update about it

It was shown at AdamCon by coleconut , but since David send back the prototype to else, no more news since then.... :|

Hope there is some interesting news coming out of ADAMCon this year...anyone heard from the SD Drive guy? Is that ever going to come about?

The member here, else, who create the ADAM SD Drive did not gave us new update about it

It was shown at AdamCon by coleconut , but since David send back the prototype to else, no more news since then.... :|

and also no further word on the Horse Racing game that he was developing an had shared some demos of.

Technical issue always occurs at conventions

Friday was the welcome speech but my computer didn't worked with the projector. I've improvised based on what I remembered of my slides and it went well. The speech and the following discussion was broadcasted on the web, but the frame rate was really low.

Saturday I should talk about Coleco BIOS sound format in order to introduce homebrewer to creating and adding sounds to their projects the same way I do.

Sunday I'm expecting to make people compose a simple chiptune with the same tools that I'm using to compose all the incredible musics that I've made. It's not gonna be easy but it should be fun to have this interactive session.

I've updated my cvdevkit on my web site, go check it out.

Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 1

Just got back from the convention. I was there for one day and it was fun seeing the regular gang, there was no new blood unfortunately this year. I expected to see many more new people due to the proximity of the Adamcon this year (Quebec). Quebec being a hotbed of Coleco activity... Perhaps I left too earlly and the new visitors will pop up during the week-end presentations.

I think that your technical issues Daniel could have been avoided by simply being better prepared. You can't go to war with a dull sword.

So what did I bring back from this Adamcon?

I realized that my programming days are long gone for me, at least for a long while. Glad to see that the scene has many people that are even more capable than I to release awesome titles, I will support the scene by buying high quality titles when I see one. I'm still interested in seeing the untapped potential of the Colecovision being brought out.

I will try to work on some hardware products for the Colecovision though. My first one will be to design a high arcade quality joystick solution for the Colecovision probably made out of arcade quality wood. (MDF)

Well, nice to see everyone and if next years Adamcon is not too far away, count me in!

Just got back from the convention. I was there for one day and it was fun seeing the regular gang, there was no new blood unfortunately this year. I expected to see many more new people due to the proximity of the Adamcon this year (Quebec). Quebec being a hotbed of Coleco activity... Perhaps I left too earlly and the new visitors will pop up during the week-end presentations.

I think that your technical issues Daniel could have been avoided by simply being better prepared. You can't go to war with a dull sword.

So what did I bring back from this Adamcon?

I realized that my programming days are long gone for me, at least for a long while. Glad to see that the scene has many people that are even more capable than I to release awesome titles, I will support the scene by buying high quality titles when I see one. I'm still interested in seeing the untapped potential of the Colecovision being brought out.

I will try to work on some hardware products for the Colecovision though. My first one will be to design a high arcade quality joystick solution for the Colecovision probably made out of arcade quality wood. (MDF)

Well, nice to see everyone and if next years Adamcon is not too far away, count me in!

What!?

You were there and did not meet you, Steve?

Damn! That would have been nice to finally meet you!