IGNORED

Atari's Plato Cartridge question

DarkLord

As I recall, the Cart was originally designed to run on a 16K system (400/800/600xl).

If it can be re-engineered to permit a DOS to be present, there's a wide array of options open... like a screen capture, or support for the Dragon Cart, or support for other R: drivers (MIO/BB with LANTRONIX, I'm looking at you...)

EDIT: For those interested, the initial ANTIC review is at: https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n3/platorising.html

No, you didn't follow, surely I didn't explain clearly.... probably doesn't matter anyway. As others point out, in a larger memory environment and re arrange would be the way to go. Making it free of the cartridge also a plus. Night

Edited by _The Doctor__

a run through means to go with the Atari and run all of the available selections, keeping an eye on how much memory the Atari uses and where so that the reserved areas can be adjusted (not on the server, but rather on the Atari) to decrease the size of memory being reserved and allowing the code to be moved by that much....

Edited by _The Doctor__

OK, online w/ PLATO server using a 130XE, Ultimate Cart w/ TLP patched rom, MIO w/ rs232 disabled(TLP & PBI are fine but pbi serial can't inject properly), 850 interface on and active, and an MSS 100.

Patched rom is from this thread.

Using the original cartridge does not work because term id being recycled for Mac and though it would be TRIVIAL to assign another number to the Mac, we are forced to use the patched (nonsense term id) rom. The original rom has a problem with the standard (start shift s) stop. It doesn't make much sense why it was done, or why it wouldn't just get fixed that way, but at least there is this fix... It still bothers me just a little bit that one of the first and best PLATO terms would be handled this way... but it is what it is...

This test was at 1200 baud, I'll go for 2400 next. So the MSS100 (lantronix) is a go!

interesting note... while messing around I noticed the serial port is at 1200 baud, 7 characters, 1 stop bit, even parity, with no flow control while using the patched rom...

I'm going to set the MSS at 2400 to try and force a change at 8 1 n

TLP & 850 forced the MSS100 back to 1200,7,1,even,no flow

Edited by _The Doctor__

I've downloaded the second patch which is for 2400 baud,

Lantronix MSS 100 now reports 2400 7 characters 1 stop bit even parity no flow control

I'm back in...it's working...no problems so far

Why is this important? because you can preset the MSS100 to the proper settings making things move along faster instead of repeatedly hitting the return key or typing in your dialing string and have nothing happen the first time around... setting it up ahead of time and saving the settings in the MSS makes it work the first time every time.

info for those who never used a modem or other old school serial devices....Pressing the return key a few times or typing something more than once is how a device often figures out what protocol or scheme is to be used, a method of detection and synchronization.

Edited by _The Doctor__

So this Plato thing is some sort of communications program that some how lets the Atari communicate to a BBS, possibly through the internet.

How many people were able to get the Atari to communicate through the internet or hook up to an Ethernet network. What hardware is available?

Reason I am asking is that I am making these Secretum Labyrinth games that are Fantasy Role Playing Adventure Games that currently are single player only. As always something that has been done is people do MMORPGs with this type of stuff. (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.) Maybe do a version of my game programming that support network, modem, or access to some internet server that has all the game data, stats, locations, etc. for stuff for players to use.

Most of these online game things charge a monthly fee with setting up an account. They let you download some software free, but it is useless unless it is connected through the website.

Now I have not made no decisions about doing anything like this. I am more focused on making the next game on cartridge. It is a big question of how many people out there have the capability of networking the Atari 8-bit computer right now and how many will show interest. Honestly I would probably making more money having someone help me do "Secretum Labyrinth Online" with PC and Mac software with 3D graphics. May need to get a 3rd party involved.

Edited by peteym5

Excuse the clutter from the test fest. It's dead simple...

Get TLP 2400 baud term patch ROM, add an 850, serial port 1 connected to LAN/WAN device and have at it.

post-21949-0-18744300-1519305220_thumb.jpg

The MMS100 and EDS devices work well, I prefer these units that resolve names. The Lantronix boxes normally provide for a 4k or so buffer, which can be advantageous when flow control get implemented.

side note most UDS units are IP address only and the patch to fix them is long lost, though someone skilled in linux as well as C could add it back in again....

added thought, you can just press return key on the Atari to scroll forward in BigJump... no need to use +++ at all, though it's an easy fix withing most serial devices to make the character be something else, change guard time, or simply disable it..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I got away from the jumble and went to the index, there a found some of the wonderful lessons of years gone by, most of which use the touch screen and it works well

post-21949-0-23804900-1519325876_thumb.jpg

I should however point out, that the arrow keys don't appear to be mapped any more. This is something to look at.

Okay when the screen demands arrow keys it remaps to...

qwe

asd

zxc

so it also handles diagonals... Hivolts for the win.. but you have to time your inputs!

for those who have DNS issues the direct IP address for cyber1 PLATO server is ....

your port number 5004 or 8005

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I'm going on record as being officially impressed with the Atari PLATO cartridge.

Why? I'm in the middle of implementing a PLATO terminal for Android devices (a friend and colleague is implementing the same for iOS devices), and after seeing EVERYTHING you need to implement to make a FUNCTIONAL terminal, I am FUCKING AMAZED that they not only managed to implement an almost complete IST-III implementation (no code loading), AND implement a workable image scaling algorithm, in 8K of ROM space. Jeebus.

-Thom

• Like 2

If you can tackle the Atari 8 bit, you can handle just about everything that came after no matter what the device is, micro controllers on up. I tend to think they should be required in all engineering and technical schools. Understanding and forcing the Atari to do all it can do in one area or another requires true skill and hard work that you will not get on other devices or test sets. It changes the individual in ways that produces better results in all fields they tackle later on, just look at all who have come from here, and where they have gone on to, it's incredible.

A wave of 'Happy' came over me reading the last post. It is impressive. I just want the other code crunchers that make all the fine games and utilities to look at it, there is more to do... and I am CERTAIN with some of the skill, knowledge, and modern tools... more can be done.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

omg, That's a sight!

bad on me for not remembering, and then for taking so long to have it come back me thinking about it. I haven't truly read the guide as posted, is it mentioned in it somewhere? If not, A better ordered more complete but abridged guide should be made.... workflow style perhaps?

Edited by _The Doctor__

I don't see a problem with that, 8k was chosen for a number of reason that for the most part no longer exist. That being said, doing all you can in 8k sure will sharpen your skills and make any future work taking up more room that much better. 16k 24k - My Lord! think of all you could do!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1