IGNORED

Season 9 Round 1 - Mega Man

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 1 of the 9th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

The first 9 games have been pre-selected and entered into a random list generator. So you guys know the games, but not the order.

Let's try 1-week rounds this season.

This round ends on Monday, April 16th.

Title: Mega Man

Developer: Capcom

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: December 1987 (US)

http://youtu.be/slD8IzS5kOA

Rules:

Scores so far:

1. Austin 1,254,000 +9

2. peculiarsatyr 532,800 +6

3. asponge 446,440 +3

4. cparsley 301,400 +1

5. atarilovesyou 284,100 +1

6. theKLT 99,700 +1

7. roadrunner 30,900 +1

8. jblenkle 16,500 +1

Current standings:

None!

Edited by Jibbajaba

That's up to you. In general, Mega Man games are easiest when completed in a certain order, so doing so should give you a higher point total since you can keep your game going longer.

Chris

I read the comments for a youtube video of this game and people found it easier to start on different stages.

One person likes to start on Fireman, another person Bombman, and another person likes to start on Gutsman.

I started on Cutman, but couldn't beat the boss.

Bomb Man's stage is the easiest (counting the boss fight as well), so I might recommend starting there first.

IIRC, these are the weapon combos to use against bosses (to make life easier, especially against Elec Man):

Bomb Man - Use against Gutsman

Cut Man - Use against Elec Man

Elec Man - Use against Ice Man

Ice Man - Use against Fire Man

Fire Man - Use against Bomb Man

Gutsman - Use against Cut Man

Also, be sure to get the Magnet Beam on Elec Man's stage (requires Gutsman's special). It beams out temporary platforms that can go all the way across the screen. Very useful on the end of Iceman's level with the floating moving platforms (likewise at a similar spot on Wily's stage).

• Like 2

I thank you as well for the tips Austin. Those were a big help. Although I found this evening that I like to start with Gutsman instead of Bomb Man because I'm not doing to well with the rail platforms at the beginning of the stage. I'm not consistently getting through there without a problem so if I lose too many lives I can just reset and try again. Plus the guy is pretty easy to defeat with the standard arm cannon.

I'm a total Mega Man amateur so here's a tip from one amateur to any others that may be playing: In the Electric Man stage, the Cut Man weapon will destory those G** D**** mines that take away half of your energy while you're ascending the initial part of the stage. I'm sure that anyone who has played this game with any regularity already knows this, but for relatively new players this is not obvious.

Anyway, I made it through Gutsman, Cut Man, Bomb Man, Electric Man and bit it trying to get to Ice Man.

post-27362-0-61299000-1334209812_thumb.png

I thank you as well for the tips Austin. Those were a big help. Although I found this evening that I like to start with Gutsman instead of Bomb Man because I'm not doing to well with the rail platforms at the beginning of the stage. I'm not consistently getting through there without a problem so if I lose too many lives I can just reset and try again.

No problem!

I busted this out last night and ran through it. First time in years, so I decided to start with Gutsman's stage as well. Those moving platforms gave me trouble on my first few tries, but then after that (fortunately) it was smooth sailing for the most part. :)

So when is this round ending exactly? On a Tuesday like when it was listed? Just want to make sure I get my score in (Already played through it, just need to grab the score from my footage).

Austin, you know I love you, but for Pete's sake, I put it in bolded red text. Help me help you.

Chris

• Like 1

So when is this round ending exactly? On a Tuesday like when it was listed? Just want to make sure I get my score in (Already played through it, just need to grab the score from my footage).
Austin, you know I love you, but for Pete's sake, I put it in bolded red text. Help me help you. Chris

:lol:

The red text must have thrown me off (yeah I know, it's a poor excuse)!

• Like 1

224,500 is the best I've done so far. Started with gutsman, then got through cutman, The green things that shoot lightning at you ended up killing me on eletricman. I got up the left side of the boop boop boop blocks and fell down:-(

Will try to do better. Probably would go gutsman-cutman-bombman-eletricman next time.

You guys are animals! Great scores!...I'm going to just follow the patterns recognized here as the most efficient, but I can't see myself logging in more than a couple hours towards the goal...one million plus?...insane! :thumbsup:

One million-ish is about baseline for getting through the entire game. So if anyone can at least do that, their score will be about the same as mine. It's hard to actually aim for a high score in this game any other way without point pressing... which of course is unethical. :P