IGNORED

Vectrex Controllers from RecycledGamer

boxpressed

I'm thinking about buying a modded Genesis or SNES controller for my Vectrex but can't decide which one. I like the feel of the Genesis controller better, but it uses the Start button as Button 1, which may affect gameplay for a few games. The SNES controller maps all 4 Vectrex buttons to the standard action buttons. Here's a link to the Genesis page: http://shop.recycledgamer.com/products/modded-sega-genesis-controller-for-vectrex

Can anyone recommend either one of these?

• 4 weeks later...

When you get it would you be willing to show the workmanship inside?

No need to really.

Go to his site. Link above, just then go to the SNES controller page..

He has a video showing the complete process for the SNES controller.

Just watched that vid..

Wow, that's a lot of steps.. ;-)

desiv

When you get it would you be willing to show the workmanship inside?

No need to really.

Go to his site. Link above, just then go to the SNES controller page..

He has a video showing the complete process for the SNES controller.

Just watched that vid..

Wow, that's a lot of steps.. ;-)

desiv

Yeah, I beat you to that post with my edit. The price is clearly due to the creation of a new board when really that is a waste IMHO. You are paying for that. Why wouldn't you want to save $20 - $25 bucks and use the same perfectly good board?

The price was in the upper range of what I was willing to pay, but I know this will be a high-quality product. I think it's going to make a big difference in how much Vectrex I play. I'm always so worried about damaging the original controller or stretching out the cord. I'd think that these would fly off the shelves for $25-$30, especially if Ax could put a matching Vectrex skin on them.

• Like 1

I bought Recycledgamer's SNES pad a few months ago. Although I use it all the time I've actually had a problem that the buttons are not as responsive as they should be. The compact layout of the SNES pad makes it great for a majority of Vectrex games, and the orientation of the corresponding buttons is acceptable. Not the ultimate Vectrex controller, but pretty darn good.

Chuck Van Pelt, huh? Well, his controllers are too expensive, but I wonder if he'll give me psychiatric advice for ten cents.

Anyway... I've modified controllers to make them Vectrex compatible, but you really have to be careful which ones you select. Hint: the PS Arcade stick designed for the Playstation isn't an ideal candidate. Red Octane's old arcade stick is better, but heavy, and as IGN mentioned in its review, the plexiglass edges are jagged enough to cut your wrists in what could be the nerdiest suicide ever. A little sandpaper fixes the problem, but it's worth mentioning.

I bought Recycledgamer's SNES pad a few months ago. Although I use it all the time I've actually had a problem that the buttons are not as responsive as they should be. The compact layout of the SNES pad makes it great for a majority of Vectrex games, and the orientation of the corresponding buttons is acceptable. Not the ultimate Vectrex controller, but pretty darn good.

My SNES pad arrived today. I had only enough time to test it with MineStorm, but it is just as responsive as the original controller. Took about a week from the time I placed my order to when it arrived. As I think I mentioned, I think it's going to revolutionize my Vectrex playing. I can sit farther back from the screen and not worry about breaking the controller now!

Hi everyone,

Chuck here - the maker of the RecycledGamer modified controllers for Vectrex. Rick Weis was kind enough to point me over to this discussion.

I definitely appreciate getting feedback on my controllers. I'm a huge Vectrex nut and love making these controllers as a hobby so it's nice to hear commentary, both positive and negative. Hearing from users is the only way I can make them better.

I'm working on getting the prices down and have lowered them quite a bit since I started making modded controllers for Vectrex. I charge what I do because I use only the best condition donors and completely disassemble, clean and reassemble them. The labor for each controller is substantial. The SNES controller is my most popular and each one requires a SNES controller donor, a Genesis controller donor for the cord/connector, and a few dollars in parts.

Incidentally, thanks to all of the Pacific Northwest folks who have been collecting donor controllers for me! Such a great community of collectors up here.

Gliptitude mentioned that the buttons are not as responsive as he would like. This is a known issue I have where the button contacts on my boards sometimes oxidize because they don't have enough tin on them - especially of they don't get used much. What AX said is true about the existing boards being perfectly good and I have, indeed, already changed my manufacturing to simply modify the existing board by adding on a small daughterboard instead of making a whole new board myself. On the SNES controllers this means that the buttons use the original carbon button contacts and the Genesis controllers are split between gold and carbon contacts depending on when and where they were manufactured. The labor to do this, however, is actually substantially more than just making my own boards. Reliability on these new controllers is much higher.

Glibtitude - PM me your address and I will ship you out one of the SNES Vectrex controllers that uses the existing board. If you like it better, just ship back the old one so I can use it for a donor. This goes for anyone else having issues with one of my controllers - contact me and we'll work something out.

If any of you will be at CGE this year, I will be introducing several different types of arcade sticks modded for Vectrex. I have some Sega and a few other types on my site now, but I was able to secure several lots of new old-stock controllers that I will be selling in Vegas. One of sticks I will have is the Sega Saturn Virtua Stick - there was a warehouse find and I will have a bunch of those, new in box, modded with special RecycledGamer labeling. The Virtua stick is quickly becoming my favorite controller for Vectrex. That and the Interact Pro-Shock sticks.

Thanks again for the feedback. Feed free to toss out any questions you have and I will monitor this thread.

Chuck

PS: You will have to talk to my sister Lucy for psychiatric advice. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Gliptitude mentioned that the buttons are not as responsive as he would like. This is a known issue I have where the button contacts on my boards sometimes oxidize because they don't have enough tin on them - especially of they don't get used much. What AX said is true about the existing boards being perfectly good and I have, indeed, already changed my manufacturing to simply modify the existing board by adding on a small daughterboard instead of making a whole new board myself. On the SNES controllers this means that the buttons use the original carbon button contacts and the Genesis controllers are split between gold and carbon contacts depending on when and where they were manufactured. The labor to do this, however, is actually substantially more than just making my own boards. Reliability on these new controllers is much higher.

Glibtitude - PM me your address and I will ship you out one of the SNES Vectrex controllers that uses the existing board. If you like it better, just ship back the old one so I can use it for a donor. This goes for anyone else having issues with one of my controllers - contact me and we'll work something out.

PM'd my address to you last night. Look forward to your response! I didn't mean to bad-mouth your product, it is still quite useful and I use it all the time. Just that it could be a bit more responsive :) . I love that you are doing this stuff and that the Vectrex community has a guy like you!

PM'd my address to you last night. Look forward to your response! I didn't mean to bad-mouth your product, it is still quite useful and I use it all the time. Just that it could be a bit more responsive :) . I love that you are doing this stuff and that the Vectrex community has a guy like you!

No problem at all! Like I said, I love getting feedback and making my controllers better if I can.

I will respond to your PM momentarily.

Chuck

• 2 years later...

I wondered the same thing.. he seems to be MIA. Thought he was just restocking since the gaming expos but have noticed the website being down now is not a good sign. :skull:

Looking for a Lightpen myself, although I'm sure I could just build one since the instructions are out there.

Might want to think about getting a VecAdapt, since you can use just about any Genesis controller (unmodded); options of rapid fire and a button swap feature too.. They are still available on eBay or directly, via his website. ;)

I purchased a light pen last year from Chuck. There are a lot of people getting high prices on ebay for items that you can purchase brand new for much less.

Chuck may return. He's the only one I know of who offered a SNES controller for the Vectrex and there was never an SNES adapter. If he doesn't return I hope that he makes his board designs available so people can use a service to get their own boards printed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently acquired a Vectrex, and I love it. However... I have only one stock controller. It works well, but I'd like to pick up a second controller, both for 2-player games and as a backup for the single controller I have now.

It looks like Recycled Gamer is no longer making his SNES conversions.

Is there anyone else folks can recommend for making Vectrex controllers? If I look on eBay, stock controllers are hard to find and command a premium price. I would be okay with a converted Genesis or SNES gamepad.

I also notice that there is a guy in Australia making the VecAdapt, a blackbox converter: plug one end into the Vectrex port and plug a Sega Genesis pad into the other end. That might be alright... can anyone who has one recommend it?