IGNORED

Multiple Controllers

Ben Klammer

I kinda want to, in the future, make a bartop arcade machine out of an Atari 2600. I'd get one where the case is really screwed up, but it still works. Just so I don't ruin much. But, it'd be using actual arcade parts for the controls. Now, I'd want to have a joystick, with it's button, and the two paddle spinners with their buttons as well. I'd also have a port for connecting some other flavors of controller into P1's spot as well. But, would it work to have all these controllers 'plugged in' at the same time? Or would I have to rig up some sort of uber switch?

The Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone) had multi-function controllers in which everything was hooked up at the same time. I believe the Sears Video Arcade II had similar controllers. But, it only implemented one paddle controller per port. One of the joystick directions acts the same as the paddle fire button, but that should be of no consequence if you're not hitting the joystick while playing paddle games.

Off the top of my head, I can't see a reason you couldn't have the 2 paddle set plugged in at the same time as the joystick. As was mentioned above, the joystick is completely invisible to the controller port unless something is actuated.

I can fairly confidently say that you won't damage the 2600 by trying it as long as you don't short anything out. It shouldn't be impossible to find a "Y-cable" that just duplicates the port's signals on two identical connectors.

BTW - you might consider using a Flashback 2 as the guts of your machine if you are concerned about taking an original 2600 out of circulation. Personally, I'd have no heartburn at all about using a "Junior" in a project like this. Those cases are kinda brittle and I've seen quite a few of them with broken cases. The "Junior" wouldn't as readily lend itself to relocating the cart port off-board though if that is necessary in your design.

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

Well, I wouldn't need a Y cable. I'd be using ardade parts for the joystick and buttons, and just dials for the paddles, and solder the wires right to the console. But like I said, a plug in case you want to use another controller. And another plug for P2, since there'd be no P2 controlls built in ('cept the second paddel). As for the cartradge slot, I would likely have to move it. I'm not sure where I'd put it, though. I'd make the arcade have the same flavor as the six switcher, with the six switches on the front, just below the screen. But if I put the cart in the middle of the switches, like normal, it might get in the way of the controlls. So I think I'll put it on the side, like a Vectrex. And yeah, in my imagination, I thought I'd be building it off of a grodilated 2600 Jr. But I don't know what I'll find.

Well, I wouldn't need a Y cable. I'd be using ardade parts for the joystick and buttons, and just dials for the paddles...

I think he meant you could use a Y-Cable to test your wiring of simultaneous controllers on a stock system. (If he didn't mean that, I do!)

Well, I wouldn't need a Y cable. I'd be using ardade parts for the joystick and buttons, and just dials for the paddles...

I think he meant you could use a Y-Cable to test your wiring of simultaneous controllers on a stock system. (If he didn't mean that, I do!)

I did.

(Of course, you'll need to attach two things to one port somehow in your permanent solution. Though, myself, I'd just solder some wires to a cheap 9-pin connector rather than chopping the ends off of a perfectly good Y-cable.)