IGNORED

FA: Venture II-Treasure Chest Edition-ALPHA-First one made!

Snider-man

Yup, you read the subject right. I, Sniderman, am auctioning off my own personal copy of Venture II - Treasure Chest Edition. This is number "Alpha" and was literally the very first one I made for CGE 2001.

Reasons for parting with it are 1. I need the capital for a new game project in the works. (NO, I will NOT discuss it now.) and 2. it's just sitting there in my collection, looking forlorn. I figured someone else might get more use out of it and enjoy having it more than I do. (Besides, I've played the hell out of it over the years. It's someone else's turn.)

This is probably the last time you'll ever see one of the original 2001 Treasure Chest Editions available (unless one of the other 23 who have one sell theirs), so if anyone's interested, this is your chance.

Thanks for hearing me out and good luck.

Venture II-Treasure Chest Edition-Number "Alpha"

Aww, come on, this is what you wanted to see isn't it ?

It's nice, yes. And appreciated. I'm referring to events leading up to CGE 2K1 and other myriad controversies that broke out over these. THAT'S why I'll never again create something like this. It's serving me well now, yes, but what a headache in the past... ;)

Ok, question here. In the auction it states that there were "5 pre-production carts" and when you named them only 4 names were mentioned, "alpha, beta, gama, delta" what was the 5th cart's name??? I could be missing something (it is early and I'm still waiting for my coffee) and was hoping it could be cleared.

Thanks.

Ok, question here.  In the auction it states that there were "5 pre-production carts" and when you named them only 4 names were mentioned, "alpha, beta, gama, delta" what was the 5th cart's name???   I could be missing something (it is early and I'm still waiting for my coffee) and was hoping it could be cleared.

Thanks.

Epsilon, when I not wrong. :) :D

to be honest.....

I don't understand why someone will pay 200 and more for this game.... :?

I think this game has enough history to be worth some good money and it's worth a lot because of the great packaging anyway.

I'm mainly amused because Marco keeps saying how much rarer the original games are compared to modern homebrew games but he and the other bidders are creating a very nice rarity here :)

I guess it's still a little different but $$$ = $$$.

Folks are e-mailing me about the numbering system of the carts. I can understand the confusion, so let me try to summarize:

* The ad is incorrect. There are 25 carts in the run: 20 numbered and 5 "pre-production" that were given greek letter designations.

* First there were the first 4 "pre-production" carts - made to make sure I knew how to do this (stripping the ROMs, soldering, labelling, chest assembly, etc.) Those first four were given the greek letters "alpha, beta, gamma, and delta" and were given away to folks who helped me out. (I kept "alpha" which is now for auction.)

* There were 20 carts made and assembled that were sold to private parties at CGE 2001. The last one - #20 - was actually auctioned off at the CGE 2001 auction. That was the first hint of how sought-after these were.

* A month later, 9/11 hit. The Als at AtariAge asked me for a donation for their charity auction, so I made one more specifically for this. This cart was designated "Sigma" and is identical in every way to the carts released 30 days earlier. This cart brought $400 for the event, of which I'm pretty proud.

So, those are the "25." Some folks consider Sigma as an addition to the run, but I consider it just as viable as the other 24 - more so because it was made for a very specific reason.

There was one final cart made for CGE last year - numbered "Omega" (As in "the last one of these I'll ever mess with). "Omega" is NOT considered "one of the initial 24/25" and is its own specially-created entity. It *is* a "Treasure Chest edition," but the cart label clearly says it was released at CGE 2002 and the instructions have a color cover and are signed. So it doesn't count (by my reckonning). It was made just for someone who may have wanted the boxed edition, but is seperate from the inital 24/25.

So, there you have it. Five greek-lettered versions (which includes the 9/11 cart) and 20 numbered carts. "Omega" is a CGE 2002 release and is not part of original run.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for the interest, gang.

Hey Snider-man.  

What is the new project? Futurama?

Sweet Zombie Jesus, NO! :o No, no, no, no, no. Never existed. Never made any. Fox said no, and 'No' means 'No.' To answer your question, I'm not gonna answer ya. It's a surprise. It's currently in development. And it's not a game cart - although that is also underway. Stay tuned.

If anybody's checking, I snuck a bid in the auction early on just to be part of "history" knowing damn well I had neither the money nor the inclination to win this cart. I'll buy a generic brown paper bag version if the AA Store has one (I think they do but I haven't looked). Judging by the auction though I think Tim will have his money raised in spades. :D

I'm mainly amused because Marco keeps saying how much rarer the original games are compared to modern homebrew games but he and the other bidders are creating a very nice rarity here :)

Okay, let's assume you expected a serious answer from me :)

I never say that originals are rarer, I say they shouldn't be in the same league or category as homebrews. Some of the homebrews are artficially created rarities, that's kind of 'cheating', I think. Others are artifically created valuables. Sometimes that's the same, sometimes it's not.

In this case, I cannot but admire the work sniderman put into this. I know some of you programmers think "what, it's only a hack!", but I think "to each his own" couldn't be more suitable in this situation.

Cheers,

Marco

PS: WIZ, why are you such an angry man? :wink: