IGNORED

FlashMasta Lynx flash cart

PsychedelicShaman

But flashcards already exists - do you dont know it?

what is the difference beetween the existing ones from Lynxman, karri and lars?

I have the one from Lynxman, what are the flash carts from karri and lars? I'm not sure how this one will turn out, just creating a thread about this flash cart in case someone wants to follow the progress.

That's not PsychedelicShaman's flash cart. He was just kind enough to post news he knew about.

I am building that new flash cartridge. I haven't posted here about it, because I din't feel it's far enough along to start discussing much.

As far as the question about what the advantage is, I guess I don't see this as a competitor to something. I know that there are other carts available. This is just something I want to work on to see if I can implement some new things. If it all works out, I will produce some and make them available if others also want these features. A couple of the features I plan to add include software-selectable banks and MicroSD storage. The MicroSD is the big thing I want to implement. I think it would be a great way for homebrew developers to retrieve larger chunks of data and write save-game/configuration sort of data.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Sorry guys, the project has been on hiatus for a while due to summer travel and other irregular schedule issues. I hope to get back to it soon. My initial tests have all gone well. I just need to do a redesign to add more intended features and fix some issues I had to work around on the initial build.

Some of the features might be a bit DIY at first. I think I'll try to implement the hardware features, but they may require some new code to take advantage of. Anyway, I'm out of town at the moment, so I can't really elaborate. I may need some help with that part, though.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey guys. I know it's been a while since I talked about this project. It's still on my list of things to do, but, honestly, I have not put much time into this project lately. I really would like to fully build this cart and a WonderSwan flash cartridge. Those are on my list of goals, but there is no timetable on them at the moment. I'm hoping that "real life" slows down in a couple months here. Thanks for the interest, guys!

• Like 2

Hey guys. I know it's been a while since I talked about this project. It's still on my list of things to do, but, honestly, I have not put much time into this project lately. I really would like to fully build this cart and a WonderSwan flash cartridge. Those are on my list of goals, but there is no timetable on them at the moment. I'm hoping that "real life" slows down in a couple months here. Thanks for the interest, guys!

Updates of any kind are awesome - even if just that you're alive and well! Take your time. Do it right. Flash carts for these systems will be a BIG boost to homebrew. You can only do so much with emulators.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that the project is still in mind. Take your time. :)

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. Thanks for keeping the interest up.

I have some updates, but they are much more about my personal/professional life than they are about the Lynx flash cart project.

Friday (yeah, 3 days ago) was the last day at the job I've been at for 15 years (18 years if you count internships during college). It was a good run, but it's time for me to move on to work on new ventures. One of the ventures I want to have more time for is this Lynx cart, and I am also very interested in building a WonderSwan flash cart.

However, the main project I will be working on over the next several months is an iPad/iPhone game. Even though I know this is my top priority project, I will still have time for my electronics projects. In fact, I should be able to devote more time/effort on projects like this than I had in the past, becuase I will be viewing them more as a business instead of a hobby (even if no particular project is a substantial source of income).

This last Friday was also the day we put our current house up for sale. The market for my type of house should be strong here, so I hope to sell within a month. Once that happens, we will move to another state and work on making our new house livable before moving in. This will take substantial time and resources, but when it's ready, then I will settle into my new life/profession/etc. and start these projects back up.

Thanks guys! I'm leaning on support from people like you to make this work out over the next couple of years.

If you would like to follow along with my progress in any of this, please check out either http://www.flashmasta.com (for flash cart stuff) or my personal site http://www.edmandy.com

Edited by Flavor

Thanks for the update! Hope the job and house move goes well. Regards iPad and iPhone gaming, check out cocos2d, its what i've used and it works really well with tonnes of options.

I will be porting a Windows/DirectX game to iOS. Would you still recommend cocos2d for that?

Tbh I would still use cocos2d with objective C, it's very easy to use and has tonnes of simple to use apis, for sprite rotation, scalling, distorting, colouring, flipping, etc.

Objective C can be a bit mind melting when it comes to memory management imo, hardest language i've ever had to learn.

Tbh I would still use cocos2d with objective C, it's very easy to use and has tonnes of simple to use apis, for sprite rotation, scalling, distorting, colouring, flipping, etc.

Objective C can be a bit mind melting when it comes to memory management imo, hardest language i've ever had to learn.

Thanks for the info. This will be a major task for me in the upcoming week or two. I have some other decisions and tasks to complete before I make that choice, but it is definitely looming.