IGNORED

ST Scandoubler VGA box

So I was the lucky one to win the first ST Scandoubler box which allows you to connect your ST to an LCD monitor via the VGA port.

I finally got some time to play around with a little bit and have to say it works great! The low res pics were under a setting which was not ideal - I noticed it more when I switched to medium res hence those shots are a bit clearer (ignoring the shakey camera hand blur :) )

Anyhow - here are a few pics. The creator said he is working on an edition that supports all 3 rez's from 1 box. I have a Mono->VGA cable so I dont need that, but still if you are looking for a solution to you ST monitor issue this is it!

If you want me to test something else with this let me know - the sound worked perfectly with my PC speaker set.

IMG_0566 800x600.JPG

IMG_0567 800x600.JPG

IMG_0568 800x600.JPG

IMG_0569 800x600.JPG

IMG_0573 800x600.JPG

IMG_0574 800x600.JPG

IMG_0575 800x600.JPG

I dont know whats inside - its a pretty fancy device if you ask me - there are 4 buttons that allow for picture correction/rez selection/language.

Whatever it is, its the first all in 1 solution Ive seen to get the ST on an LCD monitor.

So, what's inside?

I'm still speculating its a generic scan doubler board with some signal conditioning.

The signal conditioning is the key

It's GBS-8220 , search on ebay for "Arcade VGA" many of them are shipped from China at around $30 with free shipping.

I have one of those boards and it works great with Amiga PCs.

ST requires a sync combiner, because the 15KHz input needs composite sync and ST provides H+V only.

If you have a ST with composite OUT then you could extract sync signal from it using an IC (I forgot the #).

So, what's inside?

I'm still speculating its a generic scan doubler board with some signal conditioning.

The signal conditioning is the key

It's GBS-8220 , search on ebay for "Arcade VGA" many of them are shipped from China at around $30 with free shipping.

I have one of those boards and it works great with Amiga PCs.

ST requires a sync combiner, because the 15KHz input needs composite sync and ST provides H+V only.

If you have a ST with composite OUT then you could extract sync signal from it using an IC (I forgot the #).

Yah, I've got one here on my bench. The ST sync signals are a a bit squirrely tho.

Got some ideas.

There are few ways to get the composite sync:

1. Using LM1881, only works with composite out models like STFM

2. Using logic gates (I will look for a link)

3. Combine both sync with resistors

and http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17153&start=25 and http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51326

go and experiment!

4.5" square or so, plus a little bit of perf board for the xor gates and a mux

Hmm, and not very thick either. It does require a separate P/S?

I can't tell from the pictures or the items site or ebay, does it come with a cable

to go between the unit and the ST?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, seen it powers off the 2nd joystick port.

Er, so I can't tell from the pictures or the items site or ebay, does it come with a cable

Thanks! :)

Yes it comes with everything you need to get going. I used it with my Mega2 ST with no problems powering on 2nd joystick port. The power cable is a bit short which I told the author who will make it longer with the new boxes (he only had a 1040ST)

If someone in the US can produce these for a lower cost that would be great - I got mine for basically $100 shipped to me.

Er, so I can't tell from the pictures or the items site or ebay, does it come with a cable

Thanks! :)

Yes it comes with everything you need to get going. I used it with my Mega2 ST with no problems powering on 2nd joystick port. The power cable is a bit short which I told the author who will make it longer with the new boxes (he only had a 1040ST)

If someone in the US can produce these for a lower cost that would be great - I got mine for basically $100 shipped to me.

2 amps is way too much to pull off the joystick port, Heck a 1040ST PS is only rated for 3A total on the 5v rail.