IGNORED

Wanted: Old VHS or Beta tapes pre-1990 TV recordings

Grig

Hi. Yes, mainly commercials, not the programs - unless it is an interview or a "making of" special or something like that. Another option is to ship them to me and I'll send them back when I am finished (which won't take too long because I am do not have any projects going at the moment) but that is up to you. I completely understand if you don't want to do that. The DVD option would be fine. I can pay you for the cost of the DVD's and the shipping and your time of course. I'm open to many options. Thanks very much!!!

Jon

I found two old BetaMax tapes in a drawer last weekend, with recordings on them from the early eighties. Next weekend I will dig around and see if there are anymore in hiding.

Toshiba L-125 - Looks like some Sugar Hill Gang Music Videos and Mr. Wizard Episodes

Sony L-750 - Nothing written on the label, but for some reason I believe Dr. Detroit is on it, along with some comedy routines from HBO

Let me know if you are interested...:)

• 2 weeks later...

...anyone have tapes of 70s or 80s saturday morning cartoons with the ads?

Nope, mine are all from the early 90s.

Yeah, I've got my fill of early to mid 90's stuff. My mother taped over about 90% of my 80s tapes with 90s junk n garbage. I was JUST a bit peeved, but hey - it's my mom so I got over it ... sort of. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look!

Great score - movies on Betamax are scarce. i think I have Raiders of the lost Ark but that's it for 80s movies on Betamax.

PS - I'm almost done with your DVD's. Sorry the quality won't be super good but those tapes were old! Still a lot of fun - I found "The Great Laff Off" with Eddie Murphy - Also a Diana Ross concert and a Hank Williams Jr concert (I think) on those tapes.

Many thanks brother. I haven't found any more BetMax homebrews where I thought they might be stashed. But plenty of other places they could be hiding, you know you'll get them if/when I find some more.

I'll PM you the movies I scored when I get home, they were all in very good condition. I know one was Raiders of The Lost Ark - The Last Crusade.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look!

I didn't look, I just know ;)

I might have stuff with 80s commercials and stuff on it, but I would have no way of knowing if it actually was 80s or just early 90s. But I think my parents didn't get a VCR until at least very late in the 80s, so chances are probably slim.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look!

I didn't look, I just know ;)

I might have stuff with 80s commercials and stuff on it, but I would have no way of knowing if it actually was 80s or just early 90s. But I think my parents didn't get a VCR until at least very late in the 80s, so chances are probably slim.

Well, if you want to send me the tapes anyway I'll pay for shipping (media mail is fine) and then send them back to you when I'm finished - or I could just pay for shipping and a little $$ for the tapes and keep them. It's up to you but I'd be willing to take the chance and look at them! Just let me know. Thank you!

Holy overpriced tape machines, Batman! 500 bucks?????

I was lucky enough to find three in one store. I think I paid $17 each (which was still too much considering they were at a thrift store) - but originally the manager wanted to charge me $65 each because she said they were "receivers" - i said "OK, I guess they are - they receive a Beta tape, play it, and then send it back". She was not amused. But I got them for $17 each anyway because the guy working the register said that the manager was a crack head who yelled at everyone and he hated her and besides she was stupid. (True story!) I'll be in town this weekend and I'll look. Hope you are able to get through today!

Well, if you want to send me the tapes anyway...

I could just rip them myself and send you the video files, but I'm fairly certain I don't have anything from the 80s.

Hey, that's cool too! If you do, let me know. Thanks!

So when you get these, do you upload them to YouTube or some other video service for all to enjoy? Or are these archived strictly for personal viewing? :)

I'm going to upload to youtube when I have enough good material. I'm still working on it but it's coming together nicely.