IGNORED

Wanted: Old VHS or Beta tapes pre-1990 TV recordings

Grig

Hi. I'm still looking for old VHS or Beta tapes with TV recordings from pre-1990 stuff. Anyone have some they'd like to get rid of, please contact me! Thanks!

If you find the long lost bubble-eeze bubble gum commercial from the 80's I believe there is a bounty on it, at least there used to be :)

I'm going to upload to youtube when I have enough good material. I'm still working on it but it's coming together nicely.

Awesome! Can't wait to check out what you've pulled together. Next time I'm out at my parents' house, I'll see if I can find our old VHS archive. I'm sure we have tons of old recorded stuff, although probably very little in the way of Saturday morning cartoon stuff that you're looking for. Mostly TV broadcasts of movies, etc.. And probably some Cosby Show/Family Ties thrown in in for good measure. :)

I recorded MTV when they ran a Top 200 on Memorial Day week-end. I believe it was 1992 or so because the #1 video was "You Could Be Mine" by Guns & Roses from Terminator 2 movie. I got them all in Super-Beta Hi-Fi stereo with a 2nd audio input from the FM tuner. Back then our cable company ran the audio in stereo on the FM band. Picture is not that great, as I used the slow speed, but the audio is great! It took up 5 tapes.

Hi. I'm still looking for old VHS or Beta tapes with TV recordings from pre-1990 stuff. Anyone have some they'd like to get rid of, please contact me! Thanks!

If you find the long lost bubble-eeze bubble gum commercial from the 80's I believe there is a bounty on it, at least there used to be :)

I haven't come across that gem yet but I've got some tapes from 1983 - 1985 to peruse through (I think the Grammy's are on them)

I'm going to upload to youtube when I have enough good material. I'm still working on it but it's coming together nicely.

Awesome! Can't wait to check out what you've pulled together. Next time I'm out at my parents' house, I'll see if I can find our old VHS archive. I'm sure we have tons of old recorded stuff, although probably very little in the way of Saturday morning cartoon stuff that you're looking for. Mostly TV broadcasts of movies, etc.. And probably some Cosby Show/Family Ties thrown in in for good measure. :)

That would be awesome - TV broadcasts are great too! Let me know and I can pay for shipping and then send them back to you (media mail please).

I've got about 10 more tapes to go through and I should have enough material to upload to youtube. I'll post the link here (or make a new topic) when I do. Thanks again.

i've got one more tape to go through and then I can start uploading my 80s crap. I found a Knight Rider promo that features an Atari Joystick as a "robot of destruction" control - it's sweet!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE - I've got a lot of stuff to share, I'm just now in the process of converting the DVD files to WMV or MP4 and it's going really slow (may be my POS computer too).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good DVD converter program that's fast?

BTW - still looking for some more 80s TV recorded Beta/VHS tapes. I've got plenty of blank DVD's that need to be used!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE - I've got a lot of stuff to share, I'm just now in the process of converting the DVD files to WMV or MP4 and it's going really slow (may be my POS computer too).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good DVD converter program that's fast?

Last time I needed to rip a DVD, I used the free version of WinX DVD Ripper. I seem to recall it being quite fast, certainly faster than HandBrake.

Edited by gzsfrk

I will try that, thanks. I think a lot of it has to do with my THREE POS computers. My newest computer (2.4 GHZ quad core, 1 GB video card) is now shutting off all of the time on its own and seems to be on the way out. I will be replacing this one as soonas I can (damn HP computers). The other two are older and much slower but maybe the winx ripper will work OK. I'll update asap.

I will try that, thanks. I think a lot of it has to do with my THREE POS computers. My newest computer (2.4 GHZ quad core, 1 GB video card) is now shutting off all of the time on its own and seems to be on the way out. I will be replacing this one as soonas I can (damn HP computers). The other two are older and much slower but maybe the winx ripper will work OK. I'll update asap.

When your system shuts down, does it do an immediate power off? Or does Windows crash? Or does Windows shut itself down?

The whole computer just turns off, like a power switch - Windows (Vista) does not crash and it vdoes not shut itself down - it's like the plug was pulled away from the wall. I do have an upgraded power supply, 700 watts I think (or maybe 650) - a Corsair. It has not given me any trouble until now and I've had the power supply/video card upgrades for over a year. I do have a theory - there was a game i installed for my kids on all three computers I own (the Curious George PC game) and apparently it has the StarForce copy protection. It must contain some malware (read the Amazon reviews - they are just horrible) and ever since then all three computers have had major crashing issues. I got a new HD for one computer and re-installed XP which took care of the problem so I'm thinking I will have to replace my 750 GB HD and start fresh. :(

The whole computer just turns off, like a power switch - Windows (Vista) does not crash and it vdoes not shut itself down - it's like the plug was pulled away from the wall. I do have an upgraded power supply, 700 watts I think (or maybe 650) - a Corsair. It has not given me any trouble until now and I've had the power supply/video card upgrades for over a year. I do have a theory - there was a game i installed for my kids on all three computers I own (the Curious George PC game) and apparently it has the StarForce copy protection. It must contain some malware (read the Amazon reviews - they are just horrible) and ever since then all three computers have had major crashing issues. I got a new HD for one computer and re-installed XP which took care of the problem so I'm thinking I will have to replace my 750 GB HD and start fresh. :(

Malware (unless it's a BIOS level trojan) will almost never cause your computer to just immediately power off. I would suspect the power supply is faulty, possibly with the internal fan going bad leading to the internal heat-sensor override to force a power-down. You can also have these symptoms if your CPU is overheating; that can happen because either your heat-sink has pulled away from the CPU, or whoever put it together used an inferior-grade thermal paste which has deteriorated to the point that it no longer efficiently transfers the heat from the surface of the CPU and into the heat sink.

Tell me--when you power it on, and it runs for a few minutes, then just shuts down, what happens if you try to turn it on again right away? Does it come back on, boot up, and do the same thing? Or does it stay off until you've let it set for a while?

I can re-start the computer immediately after a shut down and it will boot up no problem. Sometimes the computer won't even shut off at all - it is very intermittent on the shut downs. It's just wierd that all three computers that I installed/attempted to install the CG game had zero problems until after that game was installed.

• 1 year later...