IGNORED

WTB: Vectrex

RedRaider

Just sealed the deal on Vectrex #3... :D

Let the Vectrex hoarding begin .......

Should the day arrive where I need to replace mine, please grant me an audience to plead my case for one in your treasure trove. ;-)

I'll be starting a thread late next week to present my three new additions to the family. But the real kicker should happen within a month. Can you say quadruplicates? Bwaaahahahaha

• Like 1

Just sealed the deal on Vectrex #3... :D

Let the Vectrex hoarding begin .......

Should the day arrive where I need to replace mine, please grant me an audience to plead my case for one in your treasure trove. ;-)

I'll be starting a thread late next week to present my three new additions to the family. But the real kicker should happen within a month. Can you say quadruplicates? Bwaaahahahaha

Open up a Vectrex Museum!

Did you buy the eBay one from gooseberrysoda?

I've only head about an MB Vectrex (220v) with 110V internals.

Unfortunately it was sold for $200 plus shipping and I did not get enough info to make me comfortable buying (plus I have two, my orig 1982 one from the 80s and a 1983 one bought for backup recently from Canada).

There's another MB one pictured on eBay from the states US, but it is a picture from Wikipedia, and doesn't mention that fact. Can you report something like this?

I feel the people bidding are getting ripped off!

Oh well, their loss I guess if they didn't get more info...

What do you think?

Vectrex #1 arrived today. Sadly I'm unable to get my fix on, since this one was bought as one of my long term back-up's, no joystick included.

But it still loads games and man are these little babies throwing up a sharp picture, much better than I thought they would.

Did you buy the eBay one from gooseberrysoda?

I've only head about an MB Vectrex (220v) with 110V internals.

Unfortunately it was sold for $200 plus shipping and I did not get enough info to make me comfortable buying (plus I have two, my orig 1982 one from the 80s and a 1983 one bought for backup recently from Canada).

There's another MB one pictured on eBay from the states US, but it is a picture from Wikipedia, and doesn't mention that fact. Can you report something like this?

I feel the people bidding are getting ripped off!

Oh well, their loss I guess if they didn't get more info...

What do you think?

I did not buy from that seller.

I did win the auction for the MB joystick last week though, from a seller in Greece.

Very nice that you have a OG model you are the sole-owner of, very nice.

Well I just decided to pull the trigger on a NIB-NOS Vectrex, deal should be complete tomorrow. That will make #4 purchased in less than two weeks. Contemplating selling one of the two I bought without joysticks as a back-up for anyone looking for a back-up unit, don't know yet. But I will be having the caps changed out in all but the NIB-NOS unit, met a guy this weekend who is going to have an employee of his do it for me so he can have guaranteed suite passes for life to our suite at Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown. I love working for the owners of the track. The price will be nice, if i sell one, considering it will be re-capped.

The sellers that did not answer a single simple question I asked, rather replied "it works", I marked them off the list. The two sellers I dealt with we're very open to communication and we spent at least three days emailing back and forth. The one I bought last night, the seller took several additional pics of the unit and emailed them to me. He was very open about the units history. The unit I'm buying tonight, that owner shot three videos of him playing the unit and a video to show the joystick functioned 100% correctly.

what questions do you ask when buying a vectrex?

The sellers that did not answer a single simple question I asked, rather replied "it works", I marked them off the list. The two sellers I dealt with we're very open to communication and we spent at least three days emailing back and forth. The one I bought last night, the seller took several additional pics of the unit and emailed them to me. He was very open about the units history. The unit I'm buying tonight, that owner shot three videos of him playing the unit and a video to show the joystick functioned 100% correctly.

what questions do you ask when buying a vectrex?

Very simple, concise questions, regarding certain operations or lack thereof of the units they are selling.

Someone will either answer my questions or I will choose to not do business with them, it's really that simple.

In the RL, I deal in large dollar deals and no one avoids any questions if they want the work, period. So if some little eBay'er isn't going to take the time to honestly answer my simple/concise questions that I have taken the time, trouble and effort to write, then I will not to business with them now or in the future.

Ordering "cap kits" for all my babies. I'm also planning on having the "hum reduction" mod performed on the first that gets re-capped, to gauge if it is worth the expense.

I think the Vectrex buzz is half the fun! ;-)

Edited by omeganu

Ordering "cap kits" for all my babies. I'm also planning on having the "hum reduction" mod performed on the first that gets re-capped, to gauge if it is worth the expense.

I think the Vectrex buzz is half the fun! ;-)

Quick Q: what's the reason for that hum? A gf I had in highschool had a Vectrex (lol!) and this is back in the early 90s; that Vectrex hummed pretty noticeably, so I'm not sure how much age has to do with it....it was already at least a decade old by then.

The audio cable runs close to the CRT and there's some electro magnetic interference. It isn't shielded sufficiently. You can open it up and fix it, or leave it as it is. The hum is part of the Vectrex's charm imo. Some of the last models build did shield the audio properly and do not hum.

• Like 1