IGNORED

Replacement Jag Controller Buttons

Judas-Prime

Hi all! (I reposted this from the Homebrew thread)

Im new here but have been a Jag fan forever. I wanted to replace my Jaguar buttons from red to Orange. I prefer the classic Atari color scheme so...there ya have it. WHile i was making the orange I decided to play around and see what other color combinations i could come up with.

The buttons and D-pads are made from 2 piece silicone molds and filled with liquid plastic resin.

My silicon moulds made from original Jag Controller parts

post-32638-0-57633600-1334862389_thumb.jpg

"Classic Orange" (right)

"Blackout" (left)

post-32638-0-45267100-1334860320_thumb.jpg

"The GT"

post-32638-0-95265400-1334860376_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-37500100-1334860414_thumb.jpg

"Ivory"

post-32638-0-89244900-1334860459_thumb.jpg

A Fresh Batch of Uncleaned Ivory, Blackout, and a Grey color Im calling "Winter in Michigan"

post-32638-0-29497800-1334862253_thumb.jpg

Random Parts ready for cleaning

post-32638-0-74549900-1334860582_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

Judas-Prime

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 6

I think you should find plenty of people who want those judging by the popularity of the white cases that have been on eBay recently, lots of jag fans like customising their hardware but don't always make as good a job of it as you have with these. I've been meaning to try vinyl dye on one of my pads and a Jaguar... I'm thinking very black everything :D

Great work Judas-Prime. Very skilled.

Do you work with plastics as a job or just researched how to do this as a hobby?

I love the GT combination. Are these just for you or are you planning on making a batch to sell? If selling i'd be interested in a few colours.

The Joypad shells sound very appealing.

I dont work with plastics as a trade. I just tend to get attached to a task and I learn as much about it as I can. The resin casting has been a learning experience for sure. I originally made these for myself / my project but I would totally be open to selling some sets. I had an ebay auction up, but my original moulds were poor / failed on me during a routine casting....so I had to take the auction down until I sorted out my mould issues. I have a pretty good handle on it now and can consistently make near perfect replicas.

I would be open to making buttons for people. Do you guys think 5.99 is a fair price for a full set of buttons and a D-pad? Let me know what you want /think. At basically 6 bucks its the cheapest and easiest mod you can do for the Jag.

Judas-Prime

Edited by Judas-Prime

$6 for the buttons and d-pad that sounds perfect to me.

Oh, and if you end up managing some different colored controller housing, I will be interested in that as well (like mentioned above, it would be nice to have something that matches my white case). :)

Hi,

Can I get one in Skylar Green? Avoid the ground!

Allow me to clarify. As of right now I can only make White, Black, Grey, Orange and Red. I only have One colored Dye (Orange) but i can make red by over coloring and pushing the orange into the red spectrum. So as of right now I dont have all of the dyes one would need to make "Every" color. I plan on buying the three primary colored Dyes so I can mix and make any color I/YOU want.

As of right now, I have shown every color I can make in this post. When I get different dyes I'll update this post with more pics. No time table on when Ill buy the dyes though.

Thanks for all the cool feedback.

$6 for the buttons and d-pad that sounds perfect to me.

Oh, and if you end up managing some different colored controller housing, I will be interested in that as well (like mentioned above, it would be nice to have something that matches my white case). :)

Thats another thing......how many people have the while cases? I have a few as I live right near the business that makes the White cases. Im thinking about making the back plate in White so we white case mod peeps can have the back pannel that can be glued onto our white cases. Ill look into what it will take..but it seems like this would be super easy to do.....Ill research it and let you guys know.

Great work Judas-Prime. Very skilled.

Do you work with plastics as a job or just researched how to do this as a hobby?

I love the GT combination. Are these just for you or are you planning on making a batch to sell? If selling i'd be interested in a few colours.

The Joypad shells sound very appealing.

I do not professionally work with plastics...just something I picked up to do this mod. Ill be making the moulds for the controller shells soon..but will be taking my time as making the moulds is tedious and requires allot of effort to make a quality piece.

I like to see a clear Pro controller. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Me too....Sadly I dont have a pro controller (and wont be buying one due to the crazy high prices) to make case moulds out of....if someone has a broken one , or working, they wish to let me borrow I will gladly make a mould from the pro controller and sell the shells for cheap...something to think about for sure.

The person who donates their controller will get it returned in exactly the same condition it was lent out, PLUS a free set of replacement buttons and D-pad in whatever colors they choose. Any takers?

Edited by Judas-Prime

Judas-Prime: it is normal that you broke your mould as the resin is attacking it step by step.

You probably alreay do it but by putting vaseline inside the 2 parts of the mould it will have a longer life but silicon moulds allow small series anyway.

Judas-Prime: it is normal that you broke your mould as the resin is attacking it step by step.

You probably alreay do it but by putting vaseline inside the 2 parts of the mould it will have a longer life but silicon moulds allow small series anyway.

I totally understand what your saying....but I am the reason the mould broke, hahah!! I damaged them during the initial mould pour and curing phase.. I tried to move the mould to a warmer area and damaged it during the move. So Im not surprised that it broke.... just didn't expect it this soon. I fully expect to make new moulds soon, if only to improve the quality of my pieces.

Judas-Prime

I was just kidding. ;)

Hi,

Can I get one in Skylar Green? Avoid the ground!

Allow me to clarify. As of right now I can only make White, Black, Grey, Orange and Red. I only have One colored Dye (Orange) but i can make red by over coloring and pushing the orange into the red spectrum. So as of right now I dont have all of the dyes one would need to make "Every" color. I plan on buying the three primary colored Dyes so I can mix and make any color I/YOU want.

As of right now, I have shown every color I can make in this post. When I get different dyes I'll update this post with more pics. No time table on when Ill buy the dyes though.

Thanks for all the cool feedback.

$6 is a giveaway. Are you covering your costs okay? If I was buying in GBP I'd pay at least £10 a set plus P&P.

Creamscile ones will certainly be unique for each mould.

I had originally asked what everyone thought about pricing....I suggested 5.99 as a starting point of conversation. This initial price suggestions comes from my perspective that Atari Jaguar fans not only get a fair share of ridicule from the mainstream gaming scene, but these collectors who support the Atari Jaguar consistently get shafted on prices of "collectable" items for their collection. Im not talking about the home-brew scene, Im talking about eBay and such... the prices are ridiculous..so much so that I cannot afford or will not pay the prices for some items I really, really want.

So enter me with these buttons...I have a choice to make.....give them away? sorry guys cant do that.....charge a silly "Collectors" price and gouge an already gouged fan based? Nope, I wont ever do that. Or offer my goods for a fair price so everyone can enjoy....that sounds right to me. Buttons are pretty cheap to make, but its the set up, mould making, and time investment is where the work and money comes in. One bad mold means a new mold must be made, which cost money / time / etc.....So my Core goal is for the buttons to be affordable enough that Jag Collectors will want multiple sets so they can change the colors, mix different sets together, a basic and affordable form of self expression on the controller. I think $ 6.00 is a great price for anyone to get involved and be able to express themselves through color and style of buttons...its a small thing but we are a small / niche audience. I see no reason to kick the jag fan base while it is surviving well past other fan groups.

Also Im not really doing this for money but I appreciate you thinking my goods are worth 10.00 GPB. Perhaps Ill make 6.00 the base price and let people pay what they think its worth beyond that. Lets let the community decide...after all something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

I working on new molds for cases, I will announce something here very soon.

• Like 4