IGNORED

What Genesis game are you playing right now?

MagitekAngel

I thought I was going to hate Galaxy Force II -- when I first tried it out I was very put off by it. But after a couple attempts, I got the hang of it and ended up enjoying it quite a bit (enough to beat it five times in two days!). It's got serious issues with sprite breakup, but otherwise it's totally playable and even fun. It reminds me of Marble Madness in a weird way, since at heart it's really a timer-based game. And like Marble Madness it's got some great FM tunes.

I'll dust it off and see what happens. I'll admit I did NOT give it a fair chance, played maybe 5 min and retired it as a shelf ornament :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This thread needs a revival!

For the past few months I've been concentrating on my Genesis collection. Filled a lot of holes in collection lately!

Twin Cobra: I recall renting this once or twice at the local rental store when the Genesis was at it's zenith. You know what? Not bad! Tough as nails but really love the audio!

Undeadline: Finally managed to get this one (not cheap)! I love these type of quasi-shooters. Another one tough as nails and killer music!

I've been focusing on my Genesis collection all year, partly because it's the biggest segment of my collection and partly because Sega-16 is having a drive to beat all the licensed Genesis games in a single calendar year (see here if anyone's interested in participating, BTW -- we're close to the 50% mark, though not quite there).

At the moment I've been trying to complete ATP Tour Championship Tennis, which has a super-long career mode that I'm hoping can be trimmed down with judicious scheduling. I've also been messing around with No Escape, a Flashback-style game that though deeply flawed is not quite as bad as its reputation, and started working on RBI Baseball 4.

In recent weeks, I also beat The Addams Family, Chuck Rock, and Primal Rage for the first time; "re-beat" Double Dragon and Toys; and played a few tough matches of Columns III against my other half.

On a lark, I fired up Shanghai 2 about a month ago on my PSP via PicoDrive. Since, I've been playing Shanghai (mainly the Genesis Shanghai 2) on a daily basis, much to my own surprise. I played this game a fair bit many, many years ago in the form of Taipei on the Best of Entertainment pack for Windows 3.1, but I haven't seriously considered it as a fun gaming diversion in all the years following. Low and behold, Mahjong Solitaire has really grabbed me as a game, and I've taken it upon myself as a quest to find the best console version. Shanghai III on Super Famicom is my current top o' the heap, but Shanghai 2 on Genesis is quite good.

When not blowing time playing Shanghai 2, my go-to Genesis game these days has been Toki: Going Ape Spit.

There's definitely an element of luck/determinism to it, but I've found there is room for strategy in the way in which a player goes about clearing tiles, mainly to try and prevent a situation near the end of the game where no matches remain. Some versions of Mahjong Solitaire I've played don't offer a "shuffle" option in those circumstances, really forcing you to be more thoughtful in your approach. For the longest time I couldn't understand the appeal of this game, but there is a bit of depth if you look closely.

Finally smartened up and shelved Predator 2. What it is I think is that it has everything it needs to be a good game, it just does them so wrong, like when the guy at Subway throws your sandwich together so it's not even a sandwich, it's a bun with a garden salad scattered everywhere that's twisted up in a deli paper,.. yeah, that's Predator 2. Everything is fine by my standards, sure the graphics and music could be better, but they get the job done; but the gameplay mechanics are just toast. If only Arena hadn't done it, I'm sure Acclaim had rules against play-testing or something...

Now I'm playing some Abrams Battle Tank. It's so weird seeing Electronic Arts on the title screen when it's a black box genesis game/cart...

Edited by Torr

• 3 weeks later...

This evening I spent some quality time with "Altered Beast" and "Super Thunder Blade." I remember playing AB on my first Genesis that I split the costs of with my College Room mate. When we graduated, he kept the Genesis and the titles. Slowly adding those "lost" titles back to my collection. Did a chunk of time on "Ghouls & Ghosts" and "Zombies Ate My Neighbors" today as well as far too much time on "Virtua Fighter" for the 32X. Good day to be a Genesis fan. :)

• Like 1

Lately, David Crane's Amazing Tennis. It seems like a total disaster at first, has a rough learning curve, and is deeply flawed in several ways -- but it arguably comes closer to the dynamics of the real sport than any other tennis title on the Genesis.

I've also been working on Junction and RBI Baseball 4.

• 4 months later...

I've been playing pretty much only Genesis for the past 2 months. My game room is torn up so I am again playing on a 27" CRT upstairs, which is just fine.

I spent some time playing and exploring Quackshot, Stimpy's Invention, Spider-Man vs Kingpin (I prefer some aspects of this over the improved CD version believe it or not), Twin Cobra, Street Fighter/ Super Street Fighter, Max Carnage, Super Hang On, Bubsy, and others. I have to clean the carts with alcohol pads to get some to work.

After playing the diverse library, I returned to the Sonic series and I'm again impressed at its playability, fun, and quality. I beat Sonic with all chaos emeralds. Beat Sonic 2 with all the emeralds, and also played 2-player with my teenager (he was invincible Tails). Beat Sonic 3 a few times, again sometimes with 2-player Tails (Tails has more use in Sonic 3 2-player). Then I snapped-on Sonic & Knuckles to Sonic 3 and I'm in the S&K 2nd half of that huge game ("Sonic 3 & Knuckles", I guess its called). One of the S3 bonus rounds is really tough for me to beat and get that last Chaos emerald though!

Anybody who thinks that Genesis Sonic games simply require running as fast as you can to the right, never really played this series. True, there are sections in each game where you can do that. But much of the gameplay requires take-your-time platforming and skill.

Edited by Cafeman

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Bugs Bunny Double Trouble and the Roadrunner vs Wile E. Coyote game. Great artwork, animation and nostalgia for the old WB toons, but the games don't seem too fun to me.

I have been playing Super Monaco GP for a while now. I'm in year 2. Great game. Is R. Cotman (originally on Team Rigel) the biggest jerk in this game? ;)

Also just started playing Kid Chameleon , for the 1st time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finally played through Zombies Ate my Neighbors yesterday. Took several attempts on the later levels even on the easy difficultly to get through them all! Before that I find myself putting in Streets of Rage 2 quite a bit for pick up and play sessions lately. Like Cafeman my Genesis has been getting the most love lately of all of my consoles.

Tried to replay one of my old favorites, Super Thunder Blade, and am now wondering how I made it through this game as it seems to be unplayable for me now and has sadly, managed to age horribly.

With that sad, I still think it's a decent game. I almost beat it again. The collision detection is a pain in the ass though.