IGNORED

What Genesis game are you playing right now?

MagitekAngel

I enjoyed Batman Returns back in the day, and still do... I don't get why it's so hated.

I swing the opposite way, I find the Sega CD, while having better QUALITY music just doesn't have as good overall music, fitting the atmopshere, pumping you up... and the driving stages? Don't understand why they are so loved either. They're fun until you reach the "boss", then it goes from 'fun' to 'nuke the CD in a microwave' difficult... sometimes that firetruck can drain my full health bar in a second with it's flamethrower.

• Like 2

I enjoyed Batman Returns back in the day, and still do... I don't get why it's so hated.

I swing the opposite way, I find the Sega CD, while having better QUALITY music just doesn't have as good overall music, fitting the atmopshere, pumping you up... and the driving stages? Don't understand why they are so loved either. They're fun until you reach the "boss", then it goes from 'fun' to 'nuke the CD in a microwave' difficult... sometimes that firetruck can drain my full health bar in a second with it's flamethrower.

It's one of my favorites on the Genesis. It trumps the original in gameplay (my opinion).

The Genesis version's tunes are highly underrated even if Sunsoft wasn't associated with it. To me, I prefer the Genesis version over the Rock n Roll cd version.

And I agree... the difficulty may be a little too hard; another issue I had was the ability to see some of the enemies in that dark color palette in some of the stages.

It's one of my favorites on the Genesis. It trumps the original in gameplay (my opinion).

The Genesis version's tunes are highly underrated even if Sunsoft wasn't associated with it. To me, I prefer the Genesis version over the Rock n Roll cd version.

And I agree... the difficulty may be a little too hard; another issue I had was the ability to see some of the enemies in that dark color palette in some of the stages.

I always enjoy playing Batman Returns both cart and Sega CD version. I will agree that the cart tunes actually fit the game a lot better. But the CD audio is of course redbook CD audio, so its really a treat as well. I think the Batmobile and Batski-boat music is really good on BRCD. It isn't what one would expect.

The cart/platforming game is hard and offers many chances at a cheap death, and Batman isn't nearly as limber as you'd think - he's more an armored Knight than the comics Batman. Like many really difficult games, you just have to learn to play it "right" to survive. take your time, accumulate as many weapons as you can and memorize the levels and you should do well.

Batman Returns CD is from a magically sweet time period in the 90's, to me. Same time frame as Jurassic Park film and its games. I will always remember playing Batman Returns CD, one of my first CD games, along with the popular Genesis games back then like Sonic/Ecco/SOR2/ NHL Hockey etc. I couldn't believe the BOOM of the explosions on the driving levels of BRCD, and the carnage of blown up auto parts sprinkly down from the skies , the fire on a damaged Batmobile, and the eye-crossing sewer levels as you try to keep your speed up and hit those sewer openings just right. But right now I have my 2600/7800 hooked up so I'm not actually playing Genesis games. maybe in March!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just Ranger-X recently,but I think a lot more of it now than when I originaly played it back in the day.

Great game. Have you completed it? I still can't reach the final stage.

No I cant even get past Level two lol ,but I will keep playing it for sure.

I will always remember playing Batman Returns CD, one of my first CD games...

It was one of the first Sega CD games I'd ever seen, also. My uncle was borrowing one when we came over one day, I remember there were a few other games too...

Price of Persia, I remember being impressed at the violence when you died in the spikes. As I got older, I was confused that every other version of the game was censored.

Dracula, another bloody game (well, the cinematics at least), kind of traumatized me as a kid, and I still think the movie is pretty creepy (but not very good). Was always impressed by the super realistic graphics, they're still pretty impressive today, but the gameplay is a bit shallow.

I know it's a cart game, but I'm pretty sure we watched him play OutRun.

There was also Sega Classics Arcade Collection, I remember seeing Streets of Rage for the first time...and we tried playing two-player Golden Axe (the only game that wasn't new to us, one of the first Genny games we'd ever played), but we couldn't figure out how, so we ended up playing the versus mode instead, totally confused.

I think he had another game too, but I'm not sure. It was a space shooter (I know that doesn't narrow it down much), instead of a typical Sega CD case, it came in one of those fancy digipack style folding cases. Idunno, we never actually got to see him play it, maybe it was for a different console? Or, heck, it might have even been a game inside of an empty audio CD case...

The shooter could have been Sol Feace.

Just did an image search, yeah, that case looks very familiar.

There's a couple pictures of a "longbox" jewel case, too. Was it released both ways?

The Sega Classics disc version of Golden Axe is only one player for some reason.

Yeah, I know that now @_@ Total waste, really...who wants to play Golden Axe by themselves??

I've been trying my hand at Lightening Force again. Hard to beat, I am not the best at these kind of games, but man I'd like to see this one through to the end. The background art is amazing, I'd love to see an art breakdown on how they did it. What a blast though, becoming one of my favorite genesis games.

• 3 weeks later...

Got an EDMD last week and I've been sorting through my ROM collection B) Too bad the Genesis won't play SG-1000 titles, or the few SMS games that use the legacy video =( Apparently Korean pirates ported a couple of my favorite MSX games over. But on the positive side, SMS games work just fine with a six-button controller (I just need a light gun and 3D glasses and...).

I also feel like maybe now is finally the time to pick up a 32X.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me, I know of so many obscure Nintendo platform titles, and have so many great translations and hacks, but my Genesis collection looks pretty abysmal by comparison. Most of the real shining stars, I already own physical copies of (missing a few of the Treasure games, though). I really need to dig deep and find those hidden gems.

I was just playing Altered Beast on my 2 year old daughters At-Games Genesis (I have one in my bedroom, too). She can actually press buttons and directions when told and knows how to select games. She plays Ecco so she can jump out of the water. The system was usually used for music before she could use the controller. My oldest daugher plays Fatal Labyrinth a lot.

It's SO CUTE when my two year old wants to play or watch the system!! She asks for "Sega!?" when she wants to play Sonic and says "Power up!" when she wants me to play Altered Beast for her. I love explaining everything when I play, like... "That's Zeus and he's bringing me back from the dead!" and "That's his daughter who was taken away by Neff!!"! She says "Wolf" when I turn into a werewolf, and "Bear!" when I get to the werebear stage. She loves saying "Power UP!" when I get the 'get it' balls (I know they don't say 'get it' on the MD/Genesis version, it's just what I call them from being an Arcade whore..)! I almost beat it for her the other day but she walked in front of the controller and it cut out a few times and I got kicked down by a upright purple unicorn..

I've also been playing the At-Games 'Battleship' (I beat it!) and the chess games it comes with. When I play in my room I use a nice floaty pad instead of the RC ones that PISS ME OFF, AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

I also play my bootleg Estonia copy of MUSHA! OH CRAPITY SNAP I LOVE THAT GAME SO MUCH!!!

Picked up a decent complete copy of Super Hang On yesterday. Excited to see what that's all about as I'm a big fan of racers and motorcycle racers in particular.

IMO, out of the Super Scaler arcade ports on the Genesis, that one seems to have held up the best. The framerate is really smooth (especially if you overclock), and unlike most of the other games, it actually has an "arrange" mode, where there are different stages to beat, parts to upgrade, etc.

The other games haven't really aged as well...no extra features, poor framerate...probably super awesome back in the day, but today it's too easy to play a more authentic arcade port.

When I play in my room I use a nice floaty pad instead of the RC ones that PISS ME OFF, AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

I didn't even try the controllers that come with it, I went and grabbed one of my six-button pads.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me, I know of so many obscure Nintendo platform titles, and have so many great translations and hacks, but my Genesis collection looks pretty abysmal by comparison. Most of the real shining stars, I already own physical copies of (missing a few of the Treasure games, though). I really need to dig deep and find those hidden gems.

A few years ago I was on a tear a picked up some of the import titles: Alien Soldier, Undeadline, Battlemania II, et al.

I guess I was sorta xenophobic back than importing titles. Man, did I miss out on some gems! Especially considering the amount of coin some of these titles cost...Might eventually do the repro route .

• 2 months later...

You guys have some of the more overpriced games it seems xD I'm still working on my genesis (modding, fixing, cleaning, painting, a few LEDs), and I am thrilled to play Phantasy Star 4 soon! Got Castlevania Bloodlines and that's really why I commented, because it's such a great game. Shame about Wily Wars being a slowed down PAL game :( though I doubt you'll find the real Japanese Rockman version for any cheap price.