IGNORED

iPad Best Games - 10 of Win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZVwp98QMY

The iPad continues to be an innovative and experimental gaming format for those winning to embrace its touch interface.

Here are 10 games I recommend for both your time and money!

Blot

Bring Me Sandwiches

Montezuma Treasure 3

Pizza vs Zombies

Mage Gauntlet

Shogun

Draw Something

Blueprint3D HD

Bug Princess 2

Sword & Sworcery EP

For me, the jury's still out on whether I think the iPad is a good gaming platform. The visuals are beautiful (especially for a portable device) but I find that the only games that are the least bit playable are the ones designed with touch and tilt in mind, and I don't care for either. I really like FlipShip, though, and it's strictly tilt controls.

Games like Jetpack Joyride and Canabalt work well, but the drawback is that the control system is so damn simple that the games get dull quickly.

I'm also not sure what I think about the "commoditization" of games, where they're just churned out like nobody's business, sold for $2, used for 10-15 minutes, then discarded like a used Kleenex.

The iPad excels with "puzzle" and "quiz" type games, but to me, those are in an entirely different category than the traditional "video game".

PS--MJ, how did you guess my thong picture on Draw Something before I even drew it? It's like, you took one look at the big ass on the screen and that was all it took. :)

Just for the record it's "Pizza vs Skeletons" not Pizza vs. Zombies as you have listed.

On that note, Plants vs. Zombies is totally a game that works with the iPad. :)

GAH! I hate it when I make mistakes like that...especially when I know what the correct title is. DOH! Thanks dude!

The iPad excels with "puzzle" and "quiz" type games, but to me, those are in an entirely different category than the traditional "video game".

PS--MJ, how did you guess my thong picture on Draw Something before I even drew it? It's like, you took one look at the big ass on the screen and that was all it took. :)

The iPad absolutely rocks at shmups, like I mention in the video. You get such precise control over your ship when using your finger. Bullet hell shooters suddenly become much easier and more fun.

As for Draw Something, I'm at the point now where words are starting to repeat... Although they just released a free update to the game, which supposedly adds more words.

Although Im not really a fan of shmups, I sort of grown fond of shogun. Even on my android smartphone with its smaller screen, it performs and controls so smooth.

Other fun iPad/iPhone shmups are Phoenix, Super Laser, Buster Red, Skyforce and Air Attack. All of them can hang with the classics!

Anyone who thinks the iPad is just a casual gaming should check out these titles:

Starbase Orion: aka Master of Orion on crack. Ascendancy, Imperium Galactica and Spaceward Ho have also been ported. The iPad is a 4x players dream machine.

Combat Mission Touch: Full on WWII wargame. One of the best wargame series ever made, and the ipad version is no slouch

Sword and Sworcery: Awesome retro themed adventure. Moody and atmospheric.

Battle for Wesnoth: aka Linux Dark Wizard.

Battle Academy: Direct port of a PC wargame. A very good pc wargame.

Frotz: 300+ Interactive Fiction games of the highest caliber, including several titles by Emily Short and Andrew Plotkin.

Hunters 2: Aka Space Hulk

I agree on the shooters. All of the cave games are excellent. Bug Princess I & 2 (Mushihimesame), Dodanpachi Resurrection, Deathsmiles etc. Danmaki and Tyrian are excellent as well.

There are several awesome boardgame ports too, such as Elder Sign: Omens (HP Lovecraft themed) and Titan HD. GMT games is porting an enormous amount of awesome wargames, including Space Empires(!)

I've had an iPad since the beginning, and this year has been a banner year for awesome iPad games. Want to really drool? Check out this:

Anyone who thinks the iPad is just a casual gaming should check out these titles....

I didn't know about half of those! Awesome...

I listened to a podcast recently with the developer of the upcoming Baldur's Gate HD for the iPad, and he was saying that the iPad version is going to be freakin' awesome. In addition to BG1, they are making it so games like Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and more would be possible too. Check it out: TouchArcade.com

I didn't know about half of those! Awesome...

I listened to a podcast recently with the developer of the upcoming Baldur's Gate HD for the iPad, and he was saying that the iPad version is going to be freakin' awesome. In addition to BG1, they are making it so games like Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and more would be possible too. Check it out: TouchArcade.com

No worries. Theres a bunch more. I know youre friends with John in Longview. I'm heading up there tomorrow for cowltz. If you are coming to cowlitz, drop by my booth and I'll show you a bunch more.