IGNORED

Game console you wanted but never got originally?

I can think of two systems I really wanted as a kid, but never got. One was a very early CD-based "edutainment" system at Radio Shack, which I'm pretty sure was the VIS. It was a lot like the CD-i, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same system. I never got one, and I'm rather glad I didn't, since the system fizzled out.

I also spent a lot of time wanting a Game Gear, but didn't get one. Instead, I got a Genesis, and that was WAY better! I was kind of interested in the TV Tuner option, but once I'd seen the difference in the games, I never really worried about getting a GG again. Still don't have one, and I'm not super worried about it.

I'm quite amazed that you lusted after the Tandy VIS. Chacun son gout, I guess. :P

I was like, 10, it was shiny. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm now quite glad we never got one, since spending that much money on something that didn't take off would have super pissed my mom off. In the years since, I became the family electronics guru, and pretty much everyone looks to me to say "Hey, this thing is gonna be around a while, you should get on board with that." Being "VIS Boy" would have killed my credibility.

• Like 1

How 'bout.. a computer. One of my cousins pretty much always had one, as long as I can remember... another set of cousins had an Atari XE. I loved being able to use the Apple IIs at school from 1st grade onward. But my family, we never got a computer until my late middle school / early high school years. I'd still like to get an Apple II and/or Atari XE/XL.

• Like 1

The Virtual Boy. I almost bought one when they first came out, but couldn't really afford it back then.

I eventually did get a nice one off of eBay with several carts.

I enjoyed it (especially Galactic Pinball), but sold it after about 18 months because I just wasn't playing it much - there were only about 4 or 5 games I really liked.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I wanted the 7800 for xmas. For years I looked at the same sears catalog to pick out my gifts, but my folks should really have updated that every few years, since 7800 was long gone and I was asking for this thing circa 1990. We had an 800XL, so I can see their resistance to the 7800. Now that I have one, I'm still not sure it was much of an upgrade.

Then there's the turbo express. It took 'real' turbo grafx games, had a 'beautiful' color screen, and was the size of the gameboy (or so I was encouraged to believe). Well now I've got one of those...meh...

And yes, I really wanted the Jag too. Badly. Those stupid ads worked on me, but naturally I had no money, and my parents were repulsed by them. I ended up with a Jag ~1997, and luckily it was $30 new at a computer show with 3 games. If it would have cost $60, I'd have felt ripped off, but for $30 it was pretty fun.

• Like 1

I have pretty much always been a generation behind (except for the last and gen and the current one). When I was 7 I begged my mom for a Nintendo. She couldn't ever afford one, but she gave me her old 2600. As I grew older I bought older consoles as I could afford them with money I earned cleaning my grandmother's apartment. My father gave me an NES he got at a garage sale when I was 12. My first self purchase was a Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. By the time I got those, everyone had a Playstation.

• Like 1

The Virtual Boy. I almost bought one when they first came out, but couldn't really afford it back then.

I eventually did get a nice one off of eBay with several carts.

I enjoyed it (especially Galactic Pinball), but sold it after about 18 months because I just wasn't playing it much - there were only about 4 or 5 games I really liked.

I was about 13 or 14 when the Virtual Boy first came out. I begged my dad for one but he wouldn't buy me one, which is weird because I got an N64 for my birthday the next year. I wonder if the relaunch happened and was still in stores if I had gotten one or not. Well, now I have one and like 15 or so games for it (some both Japanese and English versions). I also am programming a game for it I love it so much. I don't know what I would do without my Flashboy for game testing.

• Like 1

i'd have to say a computer. hell, i still don't have one. i only got my first laptop 3 years ago because it was given to me but still no desktop. i'd have looooooved a commodore 64, apple or amiga as a kid however my family could never make that financial leap.

however i think the only consoles i didn't have were the intellivision, colecovision and 7800 purely because i didn't know they existed.

Edited by xg4bx
  • Like 1

Technically, all of our consoles were years after release, except for the 2600, which my dad already had before I was born.

But I always wanted a Sega Saturn, and I still don't have one. I really need to fix that some time.

I've always enjoyed the Saturn. You should just spring for one. There's just so much Sega goodness between Dragon Force, House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon, Sega Ages, Virtua Fighter, and Virtua Cop, just to name a few.

• Like 2

NEO GEO. It was WAY too expensive but the graphics were beautiful and arcade-perfect, obviously because the games were the same as the ones from the NEO GEO cabinet. Also, you can save your games from the console onto the arcade machines via memory card!

NEOGEO.gif

That was one of the reasons why I wanted to buy a Neo-Geo AES. I thought it would be pretty cool to take a game save from the arcade and use it at home.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

The Atari Jaguar!

I always wanted that system on launch date! Yet another system I didn't get into until I saw it in a discount section at EB Games in 1997 for $50 bucks!

Anthony....

Yep I wanted the Jaguar on launchday, but in the UK it was to pre-reserved customers only. I had to wait until the Jaguars second running.

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed the Saturn. You should just spring for one.

I'm sure I will one of these days. My aunt and one of my friends had one, I always really liked those weird Myst clones that were so abundant on it, like Mansion of Hidden Souls (though technically, I think the first Mansion of Hidden Souls game on Sega CD was before Myst, so not quite a Myst clone, but you get the idea).

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

I've always wanted a Gameboy Micro, even though I've had a regular GBA and an SP for years.

I love my Micro, though the R button is starting to give up the ghost. I'm doing a pretty good job of procrastinating fixing it...I kind of dread having to pop the thing open, I'm always afraid I'll have trouble getting it back together again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like most wanted everything I didnt have and but between me and my twin brother have been fairly fortuante to have managed to get alot of game systems for free or dirt cheap over years espically after they fell out of fashion. My twin brother always wanted a neo geo AES since 1992 I think and for years he asked everything christmast for oned and t around every christmas my parents would not buy a new one but tried really hard finding a used one and could never seem to find one.He finally got one last year after owning the cd system so it was pretty awesome seeing him get the one thing he always wanted for years.

I had an older cousion who let us borrow his turbografx 16 and one day he took it back and was kind of bummed but it was his and really wanted one after that. One christmas he gave it to me and my brother. This was around I think 94.I have it hooked up in my bed room this day.It used to be a tradition we would go shopping the day after christmas I remember trying to find bonk 3 but couldnt.I also remember trying to tell the kids at school who didnt no what the turbo grafx was that hu cards where the future.

I personally was hooked on NEC after that and had get a pc-fx. I remember seeing them in the old game pro or EGM that would always show the import stuff and thought it was the coolest looking system ever.I got one with battleheat and bunch of other games.Battle heat was awesome and everything else was a turd since I couldnt read japanese it was pointless to keep so I sold it.I had an inch and bought another one cause it was dirt cheap,intended to give it another fair shot didnt even play it and resold it.

I always had a thing for portables.Had to get a wonderswan and finally got one last year but like the pcfx most of it was in japanese and the few good games for it where way to expensive to justify keep it.

• Like 1

The Atari 5200.

I loved the much-improved graphics over the 2600, and while the controls were weird, they didn't actually bother me the few times I got to play a 5200 game. I wanted one as soon as I saw it, but I still made do with my Atari 2600.

I kind of wanted a ColecoVision too, but the 5200 held more allure to me. I finally scored one in the early '90s, the longest I waited between really wanting a console and finally getting one.

• Like 1