IGNORED

aLynx - Atari Lynx emulator for Android

rock88

fUKSeWD1.jpg

Hello, guys! I finished work on the Atari Lynx emulator for Android.

aLynx - Atari Lynx emulator for Android OS 2.1 and higher. aLynx supports on-screen keyboard, sound output, OpenGL rendering, load/save games states.

Link on a Google play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.rock88dev.alynx_free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rock88dev.alynx

Also, it will be interesting to hear do you think of emulator that could be improved, etc.

• Like 1

Nice to finally see it coming on Android.

I believe it is based on Handy, isn't it ?

Is there any difference between the free and non free versions ? Tested on a Archos 70 IT, the non free version shows as incompatible.

Would be nice to be able to move the buttons a bit, my tablet has a right shortcut menu which appears over the B button.

Anti aliasing would be nice too, the upscale on a tablet is a bit painful to the eyes :)

Thanks.

Edited by obschan

Says it's not compatible with Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire. Any idea why?

edit: Free version is compatible with all my devices, but the paid one doesn't like my tablets.

Will try it out on my Xperia R800 later.

Edited by Rex Dart

Hi. I just downloaded it into an 10 inch Android A500 from Acer. It uses the full screen in landscape mode and the sound is pretty good in Lemmings and California Games.

Even the controls are nice and do not take up too much space.

I assume that the only difference between the full and the free versions is to support the author by paying 2€ and 28 cents for it or not.

--

Karri

Interesting to see that Google apparently has more relaxed rules regarding the emulation of other hardware. I believe that in Apple Store and Microsoft Marketplace it is not allowed to emulate machines unless there is a license model for the games that run on it. Apple may have changed its policy there. Does anyone know details?

obschan,

Yes, it based on Handy/SDL 0.95. In the paid version it is possible to save / load and include screen filters for improve the image.

It is strange that the paid version is not compatible, so they are completely identical, to try to figure out that the realties on the subject.

You do not have Menu button, for open context menu? In the context menu you can select the button and move them.

If you select OpenGL or Native OpenGL, then the image will be smoothed by means of OpenGL. Also available in the paid version filters for smoothing on a Canvas mode.

doctorclu,

So far only available in Google play.

Rex Dart,

I made the free version based on the a paid, I do not know what is going on, but I will try to find out.

karri,

Hi, In a paid is available to save / load and screen filters

LX.NET,

Perhaps that is why Google play no pre-moderation of applications, that is, there it is possible to spread what you want, unlike the Apple Store and Microsoft Marketplace.

Thanks for the info.

I will try to run newer stuff on it later when I have extra time. If the sound emulation is as good as it appears to be this may become my next Lynx :cool:

Hmm. I wonder if I could port the cc65 compiler there too? Then I could code and run stuff on the tablet. Easier to bring with you on the plane :-D

--

Old consoles don't die. They just get emulated.

Very good start to an Android port! I'm using it on a Galaxy Nexus, and the joypad and buttons are very small. An option to resize the controls would be nice, as I'm finding I can't get reliable joypad response when the entire joypad is smaller than my thumb. ;) Good work!

I noticed the same thing on my HTC Inspire, and I also couldn't shoot and move at the same time (or something like that). First game I loaded was the first game I ever played: Zendocon. Oh and if using a phone, be VERY careful not to hit <HOME> cause it really interrupts your game ;)

karri,

If the cc65 compiler written in C/C++ and without x86 assembler, it is possible to make a port.

TrekMD,

Thank you :)

Songbird,

The next version be choice of sizes pads.

krslam,

I do not know of another place like Google play. If you have an idea where you can still post, I am pleased to listen. So far free version uploaded here.

JohnBuell,

Multitouch is fully supported, simultaneous pressing shall operate, you can try with another game? Or the problem is really with the size of the buttons?

And what happens after you click <Home> and went back? It seems no problem with that should not be...

gallenza,

Hello, as long as I did not distribute the source code, because I do not know what I need to upload. This project is closed source, and that means that I need to open only those sources that are licensed under the GNU GPL? I would be very grateful if you could help me clarify this situation. File GNU GPL License I will will spare the application.

gallenza,

Hello, as long as I did not distribute the source code, because I do not know what I need to upload. This project is closed source, and that means that I need to open only those sources that are licensed under the GNU GPL? I would be very grateful if you could help me clarify this situation. File GNU GPL License I will will spare the application.

rock88,

As your work is based on a software (Handy/SDL) which is licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL License (a license with a strong copyleft, so you can't choose your license, your derivative work is under GNU GPL too), you should comply with it :

- distribute the notice of copyrights of the original authors

- distribute a version of the GNU GPL license

- distribute the source code of your derivative work

Don't be afraid to be a free software, GNU GPL can be used for commercial works, all the fans of Lynx who want to thank you for your work will buy aLynx on the market, whether open source or not.

Edited by gallenza

gallenza,

Thank you for your reply. My project is divided as it were, into two parts:

1. Shared library, written with source code Handy/SDL.

2. The shell in Java, written by me and using the functions in this library (libalynx.so).

Is the second also falls under this license?

Edited by rock88

It might have been a combination of the size of the buttons, the small phone surface, and my fat fingers. ;)

One thing you may want to consider, that I've seen another company do, is that if someone hits 'home' and then goes back to the game, have a quick "Game resumes in 3....2....1...." countdown so that they can be ready to go.

gallenza,

Thank you for your reply. My project is divided as it were, into two parts:

1. Shared library, written with source code Handy/SDL.

2. The shell in Java, written by me and using the functions in this library (libalynx.so).

Is the second also falls under this license?

Yes, the GPL is has a strong copyleft, so if you are linked to the library, you code is under the same license.

As the original Handy by K.Wilkins is under a permissive license, you could do proprietary software with it, but you should rewrite by yourself all the SDL related stuff.

Your obligation is to distribute the source code to people who wants it, so it is possible to not have public acces to it, and send it by email to any people who asks.

But I think that the best way, for the future of this software, is probably to be a real free software project that people could help you to improve. And you will be de facto the BDFL.

Edited by gallenza

Just curious, where did you see that Handy is covered by GPL? Keith's original custom license was very lenient and is still included with the source distribution as the only license as far as I can tell. Even on the Handy SourceForge page it only points to the zlib/libpng License which also looks fairly innocuous.

Having said that, I don't want to discourage the author from creating an open source project for this, as it could be a good way to encourage more features and better support for specific devices.

Edited by Songbird

Just curious, where did you see that Handy is covered by GPL? Keith's original custom license was very lenient and is still included with the source distribution as the only license as far as I can tell. Even on the Handy SourceForge page it only points to the zlib/libpng License which also looks fairly innocuous.

You should read my posts on more time :

As your work is based on a software (Handy/SDL) which is licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL License (a license with a strong copyleft, so you can't choose your license, your derivative work is under GNU GPL too), you should comply with it :

HANDY/SDL is under GNU GPL.

As the original Handy by K.Wilkins is under a permissive license, you could do proprietary software with it, but you should rewrite by yourself all the SDL related stuff.

Not the original Handy.

gallenza,

In the first version I used the SDL, but there was no menu, settings, file browser to select the roms, etc. Then I started to redo everything and now the code is not used SDL, I wrote an implementation of its output images, sound, keyboard input, etc.

That is, from the Handy/SDL remained only part from Handy 0.95. Therefore, for clarity, I can remove all the sources of the project, based on the Handy/SDL, add the source of Handy 0.95 and my project will be is not licensed under the GPL?

With regard to the project open - I like the idea, but so far I do not know how long he will remain closed.

In the meantime I published the first update (v1.01):

• Homebrew rom support;
  • Support for pressing diagonal on a d-pad;
  • Ability to change the size of pads (for 800x480 screens and more);

That is, from the Handy/SDL remained only part from Handy 0.95. Therefore, for clarity, I can remove all the sources of the project, based on the Handy/SDL, add the source of Handy 0.95 and my project will be is not licensed under the GPL?

Yes, if you remove all code from Handy/SDL, and only use this one from the original Handy 0.95, you can do what you want.

But, if you have already distributed one version based on Handy/SDL to someone, you must provide him the source code if he asks for.

With regard to the project open - I like the idea, but so far I do not know how long he will remain closed.

In the meantime I published the first update (v1.01):

• Homebrew rom support;
  • Support for pressing diagonal on a d-pad;
  • Ability to change the size of pads (for 800x480 screens and more);

Yes, I have tested it, and that's great, I really love your work. But there is a bug in the new feature "Ability to change the size of pads (for 800x480 screens and more)", and an open project with a bug tracker could be great to fix it (and improve the project in general).

This is mind blowing news... I work nights so after 1am its pretty much party time. I would always take my Lynx or Game Gear with me to work. My GG has an Everdrive GG so of course, all games are on the SD Card... So its just GG and PSU...

My fellow staffers all look at me like I am crazy when I break out the Lynx/Sub notebook/PSU/Flashcart combination. lol... But this is the price I pay to enjoy the fruit of the Lynx.

Now I can enjoy Lynx a little more freely shall we say? :) :) :) :)

I am there like swimwear! Many kind thanks for this amazing work!!

• Like 1

But, if you have already distributed one version based on Handy/SDL to someone, you must provide him the source code if he asks for.

Yes, I agree with that.

But there is a bug in the new feature "Ability to change the size of pads (for 800x480 screens and more)", and an open project with a bug tracker could be great to fix it (and improve the project in general).

On bugs and errors can be reported in this thread, I will try to correct them. Now I rewrite the core using the source code from Handy and yet, most likely, the project will be closed.