IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

I would really like to see another run of these carts... I wasn't around for the first one and have sent a message of interest to tep392. I would like to see other people commit to the same and get another run produced! Don't be shy!

Sure, I will sign on for that. 2 down, 8 to go! ;-)

• Like 1

A great conversion for one of my all time favorite games. Pac-man was the reason that I bought the Atari 800 way back then!

I have a quick question. Will this game allow you to pass through the ghosts under certain conditions like the real arcade version?

I searched around on Google and found "The Pac-Man Dossier".

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3938/the_pacman_dossier.php?print=1

Here is what is says about the "Pass Through" anomaly:

"The [attached] picture illustrates the conditions necessary to produce this curious behavior. There are five consecutive frames showing Blinky and Pac-Man passing through each other. Below each frame is the same scene represented by the tiles they currently occupy and the per-pixel location of their center points. Pac-Man and Blinky are at just the right position and speed relative to one another to cause them to swap tiles with each other simultaneously. In other words, Pac-Man's center point moves upwards into Blinky's tile in the same 1/60th of a second that Blinky's center point moves downwards into Pac-Man's tile, resulting in them moving past each other without colliding."

I think that this anomaly would have to be intentionally implemented in the 8bit Pac-man version which would be really cool!

post-22778-0-02252300-1467427745_thumb.png

• Like 2

I searched around on Google and found "The Pac-Man Dossier".

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3938/the_pacman_dossier.php?print=1

Here is what is says about the "Pass Through" anomaly:

"The [attached] picture illustrates the conditions necessary to produce this curious behavior. There are five consecutive frames showing Blinky and Pac-Man passing through each other. Below each frame is the same scene represented by the tiles they currently occupy and the per-pixel location of their center points. Pac-Man and Blinky are at just the right position and speed relative to one another to cause them to swap tiles with each other simultaneously. In other words, Pac-Man's center point moves upwards into Blinky's tile in the same 1/60th of a second that Blinky's center point moves downwards into Pac-Man's tile, resulting in them moving past each other without colliding."

I think that this anomaly would have to be intentionally implemented in the 8bit Pac-man version which would be really cool!

Correct. Collisions are not checked using zones as in the Arcade version. The Atari version compares horizontal and vertical coordinates, in pixels, between the Pac-man and the ghosts to determine if they collide.

I'd like two with the updated code.

Status for next batch.

I'll order more carts when I have at least 5 people interested. Here's the current list. If someone wants to be added, please send me a PM.

Wait list:

zetastrike
DiscoDr.Bones
MacRorie
achtbits

These are the final binaries for my 8bit Pac-man hack. That is unless any more bugs are found. icon_smile.gif The xex is a fully functional version, minus the High Score save feature and animated intro screen of the cart version. The bin file is the 1mbit Maxflash version. I have limited it to three levels. The strawberry level repeats after that. Both versions require a machine with 48K of RAM.

Edit:

10-Jun-2016 I have made a few updates to the 1mbit Maxflash cart version.

1) I made the high score save feature more robust. A few people had the high score get corrupted so I now make several attempts at writing the score if it doesn't verify. I also added a flashing "saving score" message so hopefully people won't turn off or hit RESET while the score is being saved.

2) updated the score characters that are displayed when eating montsers or fruit to be more like arcade version.

3) adjusted vertical speeds to better compensate for the non-square pixels. No Pac and Monsters won't appear to move faster in vertical direction compared to horizontal.

NOTE: I will not be making any updates to the XEX version. It's too time consuming. Sorry. :)

28-Sept-2014 I have fixed a sound glitch in the xex version and the binary is now the full shipping version with all levels. :) Enjoy!

P.S. I still can make official carts with the Pac-man label by request. Price is $35 plus shipping.

attachicon.gifPacmanFinal.xex

attachicon.gifPacManArcadeFinalV2.0.rom - use with 1mbit Atarimax Maxflash cart

attachicon.gifcart.jpg

Thank You! icon_smile.gif
TEP392

Screen Shots
attachicon.gifintro.jpg attachicon.gifmenu.jpg

attachicon.gifchase.jpg attachicon.gifhunt.jpg
attachicon.gifinterm.jpg

If someone want to design a box and offer it for sale, that's fine with me. Maybe ask Marc Oberhauser who did the box for my 7800 Donkey Kong XM. At this point, I'm only selling in very small quantities, so I'm going to stick to cart/instruction sheet for this one.

• Like 1