IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

tep392, on 25 Sept 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:tep392, on 25 Sept 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

I don't remember changing it. It was probably just a mistake. I'm open to updating it if you make those changes.

Actually, I think I'm remembering it backwards. It looks like you may have just changed the color of Pac-Man in game and then I had expected change to be propagated into the title screen. Either way, the colors should be matched and it's an easy change. I also think I'm using a different red on the title, which should probably match the in game color too.

I'll see about getting the motion lines added. I think my idea was to composite the motion lines from the cabinet artwork and marquee together -- but added only to the characters.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Latest batch of carts are ready! They are $41 shipped in the US. For outside the US, I'll have to lookup the shipping and quote. The orders I just took for the UK were $23 to ship, so it might not be cheap. PM me to order.

edit: I was off by 1 oz on the package weight when I calculated shipping, which made a big difference. Shipping to UK dropped to $13 when I took off that oz.

TEP392

post-24519-0-47311700-1480348385_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am very glad you added the saving notice... most people don't realize a save into flash takes a small amount of time.... the notice is something that might need to be added to the tempest and honestly space harrier lines.... while I have not turned off the games during a save, my friends have almost done so..... that might explain why people like kjmann and peteym scorn the carts... it didn't occur to either of them to add a notice or check to make sure writes were successful or that a user should be notified to wait for the save to happen....

once again you common sense approach to things wins the day TEP392 ;)

I am very glad you added the saving notice... most people don't realize a save into flash takes a small amount of time.... the notice is something that might need to be added to the tempest and honestly space harrier lines.... while I have not turned off the games during a save, my friends have almost done so..... that might explain why people like kjmann and peteym scorn the carts... it didn't occur to either of them to add a notice or check to make sure writes were successful or that a user should be notified to wait for the save to happen....

once again you common sense approach to things wins the day TEP392 ;)

Thanks, I had a few people tell me that their high score was corrupted and when I looked into it, it appeared that the flash was erased to FF's but the new score wasn't saved. I couldn't make it happen unless I interrupted the save, so I added the notice just in case someone is quick to shut off the computer at the end of a game.

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound like a fussy and demanding twit, but I'll buy another one if you can make a run with translucent yellow or pink cases! I already have two of the blue. :)

My original desire was to make the cart in yellow, but Atarimax didn't have that color. I think they only had blue, red and green available.

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound like a fussy and demanding twit, but I'll buy another one if you can make a run with translucent yellow or pink cases! I already have two of the blue. :)

I have translucent yellow filament for my 3D printer. It's a real PITA to work with. Brittle stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a suggestion for pac-man arcade, an idea i was thinking would be a simple hack: change the pupils of the ghosts eyes from being the color of the ghost to just being see through. in other words, instead of filling in their pupils with color, just make them holes. then, the background (which is mostly black) will shine through...

I had a suggestion for pac-man arcade, an idea i was thinking would be a simple hack: change the pupils of the ghosts eyes from being the color of the ghost to just being see through. in other words, instead of filling in their pupils with color, just make them holes. then, the background (which is mostly black) will shine through...

I thought the same thing.

Bob

I may be wrong but I believe the white part of the eyes is a wide missile behind the eye area of the ghost, so you can't just poke a pixel sized hole through it.

• 5 months later...

I did the title screen. It does have 7 colors total.

It was done in Graph2Font. It's using Antic color character mode 4 which gives 4/5 colors (and a little Antic mode 2 for the hi-res text at the bottom) and everything else is P/M graphics.

It uses 3 character sets and a few DLI's for color and P/M position changes as well.

Here's what the P/M portion looks like.

post-6369-0-49287500-1503771989_thumb.png

I also did a similar title screen for the Ms. Pac-Man modification I was working on. Tep392 had his hands in this one as well with a sound update he did for me, and by providing a partially-commented disassembly.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

I never really cared for it myself. But it looks like it wouldn't be too tough to do.

Don't the ghosts disappear when you get the food item in the middle or something?

Maybe the ghost patterns and difficulty are different too. Other than that, it would

just be altering the graphics and colors. I don't know... how popular is it? I know it's

kind of a novelty, with the Coca-Cola and other items.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I never really cared for it myself. But it looks like it wouldn't be too tough to do.

Don't the ghosts disappear when you get the food item in the middle or something?

Maybe the ghost patterns and difficulty are different too. Other than that, it would

just be altering the graphics and colors. I don't know... how popular is it? I know it's

kind of a novelty, with the Coca-Cola and other items.

It's actually quite fun, more than a novelty. It adds some simple, but quite fun, changes to the Pac-Man formula. From Wikipedia:

The most noticeable differences between the original game and Plus are various tweaks to the graphics: the maze is green instead of blue, vulnerable ghosts are shortened and have a leaf sticking out of them, the fruits have been replaced by new items (including a can of Coca-Cola) and the ghosts are now slightly cross-eyed. In addition to these cosmetic changes, Plus also changes the gameplay slightly: eating a bonus item will cause the ghosts to turn both vulnerable and invisible, and doubles their point value while they are vulnerable. Eating a Power Pellet also sometimes has unpredictable results, such as turning the maze invisible or turning only three of the four ghosts blue (the latter of which makes it impossible to clear a round by using a pattern). The ghosts are also faster and more aggressive than they were in the original Pac-Man, which makes the game seem overall faster-paced and more difficult by comparison.

I'd totally be interested in this as a hack. It's more fun than original pac man.

• Like 1