IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, tep392 said:

I just had a report of the game not working on a 130XE.  If someone has the game and this machine, I would greatly appreciate it if you could check if it works.  

Thanks!

That report was from me.

My 130XE was the first Atari I tried it with. Even after multiple plug-out and plug-in attempts only the splash screen would show and the game wouldn’t start but show a black screen when pressing the fire button or pressing one of the function keys. 
On the 800XL and XEGS it worked right away without problems and I’ve reached a high score of 29k already ;).

After a memory test in the 130XE I inserted the game again and now it’s working there too.

So I think everything is ok with the game and I love it already.

Thanks for the great work and quick shipping.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 11:02 PM, tep392 said:

I wouldn't mind doing a PMP "arcade" version. But I need to finish the project I'm currently working on first, and it's going to take a while.

Any chance of this still happening?  I realize that the market for it would be rather small but I would love to see a version of Pac-Man Plus.

On 1/29/2023 at 1:20 PM, Psionic said:

Any chance of this still happening?  I realize that the market for it would be rather small but I would love to see a version of Pac-Man Plus.

It would not be anytime soon.  I have this other project I started years ago but just haven't been able to find the time to work on it lately.  I'm not starting anything new until I can get Donkey Kong Remix finished.

• Like 1

Kind of looks like Pixels movie ideas in there, hopefully you'll get it figured out.

Times running out for some of us. Everyone dropping to mysterious clots and heart issues. Looks like a developed nation phenomena. I think 2029 is the deadline for the 8 bit version, no, 28, er um 27, oh my 26- Yes 2026 sounds like I can make it- 2027 might be possible if we fight to hang on hard enough, keeping the fingers where the barrel doesn't hit us. The finger have to be throbbing by now though.

• Haha 2

I'm determined to make it until I'm ready to retire.  After that I need to avoid the "retire then croak" phenomenon. 

This is going to be an exact copy of the "Donkey Kong Remix" hack that was done by a DK fan originally for the CoCo3.  He started his journey by porting the original DK to the CoCo3 by doing a Z80 to 6809 code conversion.  Graphics code was specific to the CoCo, but the game code was a direct conversion.  He then did the Remix update on the CoCo3 and eventually decided to port it back to the arcade hardware. You can buy a ROM kit for it.  I'm basically doing the same thing for the 7800. I'm taking the DK Remix that he created for the Arcade hardware and converting the code from Z80 to 6502.  I wrote 7800 specific graphics code that behaves like the arcade hardware.  Sprites for all the objects are generated and animated with the same data structures.  The game code is then directly translated from Z80 with some optimizations so that it run's efficiently on the 6502.  I'm able to run the game code at a 60 hz framerate with all gameplay mechanics and timing identical to the arcade version. Take a look at this video at 1:20 to see how many objects I can have moving around the screen at once.

A have to give @Synthpopalooza a shout out for doing the POKEY sound.  It's sounding very authentic.

• Like 7

Many many thanks for bumping up this thread, I had no idea of the existence of this port, tried it today and it is absolutely awesome!

This was perhaps noticed before, did not read through the whole thread carefully, but there is a graphics / sprite fluke when all the moving characters are in one horizontal line and you die (or so I think, it was momentary and could not reproduce the problem later on). Unlikely to have this arrangement of characters, three ghosts need to be in the house, and the player in line with the fourth one outside going through the side-to-side passage corridor, nevertheless. I know this is due to sprite / color multiplexing, before I even witnessed it I turned on the GTIA debugging in Altirra to understand how the coloring and objects are done, and I know it is probably not fixable, but thought I would just say I noticed it if nobody else did. Oh, and the bug was witnessed on the actual hardware BTW.

I ran it from the SIDE3, so another question popped up which should be probably directed to @flashjazzcat, I guess there is no technical possibility to have the save state functionality of AtariMax cartridges working on SIDE3 too?  

3 hours ago, woj said:

I ran it from the SIDE3, so another question popped up which should be probably directed to @flashjazzcat, I guess there is no technical possibility to have the save state functionality of AtariMax cartridges working on SIDE3 too?  

There isn't (and it would be Candle who'd have to implement this, if there was any room left on the CPLD), although game developers could avail themselves of the omnipresent r/w CIO FAT filesystem driver for the purpose of reading and writing state data if they can bear to avoid using RAM below $2000.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello TEP392, I am a new user and was wondering if you could upload the final version of this game into the Internet Archive. I was unable to do so due to the lack of knowledge on how to set up MAME. There is one thing I'd also like to mention. If you or anybody else decides to make a Pac-Man Plus Arcade game for the Atari 5200 and other consoles, Here's a spritesheet that I made for the game along with a list of what's new to the original game.

• Colors remain the same
  • The maze is green instead of blue.
  • Pac-Man's size and death animation are more accurate to the arcade version
  • Ghosts have new scared sprites
  • Updated fruit sprites to match Pac-Man Plus (excludes the apple and Galaxian flagship)
  • The 50, 300, and 3000 fruit score sprites have been modified
  • "Naked Blinky" sprites and his skin are remade from scratch

This spritesheet was not made in any Atari editing software because I didn't know any, so I made the spritesheet via Pixilart

pm+aa5200sprites.png

• Like 1