IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

• 2 months later...

Forewarning: This will not be a popular subject, but I thought should be discussed.

Is this no more than cracking existing Pac-Man code and making some changes and re-releasing as a cart? How many carts does there need to be? If we created a cart for every hack or demo game doesn’t the value of the game and collectability of the whole population of carts diminish. I think it’s cool what he did. I think releasing the images is cool. But to slap onto a Flash cart and sell (though no one is suggesting you’re making any money here) seems to promote cart one-off’s, numbering them, for purchasers to capitalize on short runs to sell for a profit later (i.e. remember sunmark). I’m catching myself (at the moment) falling into this downward spiral. Halo 2600 is a perfect example of this in my opinion. The cart is going for $500+. And we all circle around hoping to be blessed to get one. Hell, I even see a signed 2600 cart on eBay and just went for $1,000+, do the math, released 50 at $1,000 = $50,000. I’m in the wrong business.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2710533507691?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item= 271053350769&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And yes :) I did ask originally for a cart, then after reading the replies got me thinking. If I really love the game and want just to play it, there is an image in which I can use however I want.

A modern release is a new game.

Food for thought. I'm just as guilty as the next guy :)

My Pac-man updates were released as carts because people who collect liked the game enough to want to buy it on cart. That is why Al offers the service of making custom carts. If someone see's a hack, prototype or rare cart that tickles there fancy, they can get it. I don't really follow your logic on how carts of hacks would affect value of of other carts. Every cart is a different story. Take Halo 2600. The Halo carts that a few collectors are paying big bucks for were the batch that was introduced and sold at CGE which makes inherently rare. That's also a special game because of who wrote it. I think there is a only a small number of collectors willing to pay $1,000+ for a cart anyways, so I don't think you will see a lot of them selling for $500+. People will still be able to buy them through AA for a reasonable price if they want to own a cart.

I want to make it clear that I don't intend to limit availability of my carts. Anyone who collects carts and wants a copy can get it at a reasonable price. I'm going to continue making the 5200 carts as long as anyone wants one. They are a lot of work to build because of the need buy doners, delabel, clean, buy boards,chips, buy labels, print, solder and assemble. I'm not going to do all that at cost. I need to make a small profit to make it worth my time. I'm only doing this because I enjoy writing code. It will never replace my day job. The computer carts should also be available through the AA store eventually. I discussed this with Al before disconinuing sales of them. No intent here to limit availability. The reason I stopped making them is because the flash carts are expensive and I don't want to have money tied up in inventory. It's not a business for me. I do want to avoid the gouging that we are seeing on carts like Halo 2600, not that I think my carts would ever be seen as special enough to demand high dollars. :)

• Like 2

I can't say I've seen any homebrew go for more than about 60 bucks on first sale, even the limited stuff.

If it comes to pass that a run of 10 or 50 starts going for $200+ on resale some time later, then it's market forces at work, and the original seller isn't benefitting at all unless for some reason he's foreseen such a situation and deliberately made more and starts selling them later (something I doubt has ever happened)

When you consider the hundreds of hours for a from scratch homebrew and dozens or more hours just for a hack, even at a $20 margin per copy, the profit to the author is minimal - you'd get more money packing shelves at the local supermarket.

I’m very much amazed and appreciative that people are still creating original (or derivative) works for the 8-bit Ataris. And it may be shocking news to some, but people who do so need to at least recoup their costs and it is their right to make a profit. Yes, due to demagoguery, many see “profit” as a dirty word. But it isn’t.

I’m hoping that this 8-bit version of Pac-Man will be released again as a cartridge for the Atari 800 series of computers. If it’s priced within about $40.00 or so, I’m in. :)

. . .Is this no more than cracking existing Pac-Man code and making some changes and re-releasing as a cart? . . .

I got the impression that this was a start from scratch effort to duplicate the arcade look, sound, and behavior as closely as possible. Much closer than Atari's PacMan cart. I have cart #5. It plays AWESOME.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...