IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

Something to keep in mind about running on an Atarimax cart. The game is setup to be the only game on the cart. You won't be able to load other games with it. Alternatively, you could use the .xex version that's posted and load it with how every many other games you can fit. All you loose is the animated menu and high score saving.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the xex would work either and it's nice to know that it does. You definitely picked a good game to hack too. 800/5200 Ms. Pac-Man is one of my favorite versions, despite the slightly choppy slowdown animation. It does a nice job capturing the feel of the arcade and even holds its own against newer versions like the one in Namco Museum PSX.

• 4 months later...

I've had a few reports of the high score getting scrambled. When a new cart is flashed or the score is reset by the user, the memory is programmed to $00's. For some reason, the flash memory containing the score is getting cleared ($FF's). The game didn't expect those values and displayed graphics characters. I couldn't replicate the cleared score so don't know the cause. I suspect pressing reset or something similar at the end of a round while the score is being updated. But I did add some code to recognized the cleared memory and reprogram to 000000.

I've had a few reports of the high score getting scrambled. When a new cart is flashed or the score is reset by the user, the memory is programmed to $00's. For some reason, the flash memory containing the score is getting cleared ($FF's). The game didn't expect those values and displayed graphics characters. I couldn't replicate the cleared score so don't know the cause. I suspect pressing reset or something similar at the end of a round while the score is being updated. But I did add some code to recognized the cleared memory and reprogram to 000000.

I'll try this update after this weekend's VCF East. I don't want to screw up my cartridge before the show. I'm planning on having this one in high rotation in my exhibit.

OK, that's what I figured.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 8 Mbit Atarimax flashcart. I can't get Pac Man onto the cart. When I drag pacarcadeFinalv1.2.bin into the cartidge studio window I get this error:

[user Interface] Error loading file "pacarcadeFinalv1.2.bin" for slot #1, Unable to identify file:
C:\Users\Martin\Desktop\pacarcadeFinalv1.2.bin
Not a known or supported image.

Can anyone help me what I'm doing wrong? I had this error also with binaries for Space harrier and the GUI... Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere before..

I have an 8 Mbit Atarimax flashcart. I can't get Pac Man onto the cart. When I drag pacarcadeFinalv1.2.bin into the cartidge studio window I get this error:

[user Interface] Error loading file "pacarcadeFinalv1.2.bin" for slot #1, Unable to identify file:

C:\Users\Martin\Desktop\pacarcadeFinalv1.2.bin

Not a known or supported image.

Can anyone help me what I'm doing wrong? I had this error also with binaries for Space harrier and the GUI... Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere before..

I believe that this is a 1 Mbit Flashcart image and is converted to a flashing atr using the tools menu and convert bin to Atr function..

After opening the Studio program click tools and select convert bin to atr. The program should allow you to change the name of viewable game, and then press SAVE, and the program will allow to save the newly made bincartridge to disk(folder,drive) now you are done.

Take the atr to favorite SIO2PC program and set to drive one. etc....

Never mind, I just found out how to use <cartridge/program> to get a .bin file onto the cartridge. Until now I only knew how to drag/drop onto the menu. I'm missing a decent manual for the programmer. Never found one..

I will try <tools/convert> to get the 1mbit bin onto my 8Mbit cart tomorrow. Thanks for the hint!

Never mind, I just found out how to use <cartridge/program> to get a .bin file onto the cartridge. Until now I only knew how to drag/drop onto the menu. I'm missing a decent manual for the programmer. Never found one..

I will try <tools/convert> to get the 1mbit bin onto my 8Mbit cart tomorrow. Thanks for the hint!

It will not convert into an 8Mbit cartridge space...........this bin requires a 1Mbit cartridge......

I am a bit late to the party but I fired this up on my 800XL via SIO2PC cable today. Very nice! I have always sucked at Arcade Pac-Man and I can say that I pretty much suck at this too, so it seems pretty arcade quality to me! :P

• 3 months later...

I decided to make a couple minor changes.

1) Now using Dintar816's sprites for the 200/400/800/1600 bonus values. They look more authentic compared to the slanted bonuses which I carried over from Ms. Pac-man.

2) I added speed adjustments for the vertical axis so Pac/Ghosts don't move faster up/down compared to left/right. I assumed an NTSC pixel ratio of 1.6:1. I didn't make any changes for PAL with a pixel ratio of 2:1. It should have been fine as it was.

Here's the 1mbit Atarimax cart image.

PacManArcadeFinalV2.0.rom

• Like 6

I just remembered that I made an update a while back to address some complaints of high scores getting corrupted. I havn't been able to test in hardware yet because I've lost my 1mbit carts in storage. So please let me know if you have any problems running it on your 1mbit carts.

Oops! I forgot to update the fruit points. MrFish is working on some for me. I'll post an update in a day or two.

Will there be an XEX version of this also for those of us that only have 8Mb AtariMax cartridges.. And or for use with AspeQT (RespeQT). APE Mirror..

• 9 months later...

I've updated the 1mbit Maxflash cart rom to V2.0. See the first post for file and details. Sorry, but I won't be making any updates to the XEX version. It's a different source file and would be too much work to make the updates for these minor changes. There aren't any bugs in the XEX version either. I would rather spend my time on new projects.

Regards,

TEP392

• Like 2

I've updated the 1mbit Maxflash cart rom to V2.0. See the first post for file and details. Sorry, but I won't be making any updates to the XEX version. It's a different source file and would be too much work to make the updates for these minor changes. There aren't any bugs in the XEX version either. I would rather spend my time on new projects.

Regards,

TEP392

Will there be a new cart run with the latest revisions?

Sure, if there is interest. I would want to get at least 10 orders though. The earlier carts can be updated to the latest ROM using the Atarimax Maxflash Studio s/w from their website. It's easiest to do with the USB programmer, but can also be done with an ATR file and SIO device.

If people want the update and don't have the programmer or SIO device, they could always send the cart to me and I can re-program for them.

• Like 1

Regards,

TEP392

Thanks for the cart update I've just finished updating my cart.

Sure, if there is interest. I would want to get at least 10 orders though. The earlier carts can be updated to the latest ROM using the Atarimax Maxflash Studio s/w from their website. It's easiest to do with the USB programmer, but can also be done with an ATR file and SIO device.

If people want the update and don't have the programmer or SIO device, they could always send the cart to me and I can re-program for them.

No, I'm waiting for you to sell one in a red, purple, or yellow translucent case so I can have a rainbow array of "Pac-Man Arcade" carts.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Cart updated.

It's always an awesome game, thank you!