IGNORED

Mod Log for 7800 with BEST ELECTRONICS Euro OS and LittleJoe Video Mod

atari2atari

Can you buy the easier comp mod in a kit with instructions? Yes i know you have instuctions on your topic. But going out to a electronics store to find they have none or half what your looking for or know nothong what your talking about dont sound like fun. I would rather pay a bit more and buy a product.

In short your mod sounds better, can I buy it?

I installed a momentary button switch in line with the circuit, so that when Decathlon boots up scrambled with a droning noise and multicolored screen, the trigger short-clears the charge in the circuit and allows Decathlon to boot.

Is there information on this mod, as I would like to try it. Or is this the same mod in the original message "Compatibility Mod for Certain 2600 Games on 7800 Console'

Can you buy the easier comp mod in a kit with instructions? Yes i know you have instuctions on your topic. But going out to a electronics store to find they have none or half what your looking for or know nothong what your talking about dont sound like fun. I would rather pay a bit more and buy a product.

yes, best electrics sells the mod, buy it at the same time you buy the os mod :)

This mod works great on pal systems, not sure if it will work on NTSC though

http://www.circuit-board.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2436

Edited by mimo

yes, best electrics sells the mod, buy it at the same time you buy the os mod :)

This mod works great on pal systems, not sure if it will work on NTSC though

http://www.circuit-board.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2436

That mod lists a 750 ohm resistor, but the drawing shows 75 ohm.

The NTSC mod uses a 75 ohm ( or close ) resistor.

I can't read that, but it's the same parts as the "easier 7800 av mod" thread, just different connection points.

longhorn's 2600 video mod looks way cleaner than it's 7800 one

That's mainly because the 2600 only has one chroma signal whereas the 7800 has two (one for the TIA and the other for the MARIA). I had the interference problem with my LHE board so I wound up mounting a switch that turns the TIA chroma line "on" or "off".

Amen to that. Radio shack sucks

Extremely interesting thread atari2atari. Thank You for posting this. All the cool homebrews make me want to get a 7800 and littlejoe seems like the go to guy for mods.

Did littlejoe end up leaving the 2 sockets stacked for your Euro OS mod, or did he just use longer pins on the video mod board? In the pics it looks like 2 sockets stacked.

Extremely interesting thread atari2atari. Thank You for posting this. All the cool homebrews make me want to get a 7800 and littlejoe seems like the go to guy for mods.

Did littlejoe end up leaving the 2 sockets stacked for your Euro OS mod, or did he just use longer pins on the video mod board? In the pics it looks like 2 sockets stacked.

Thanks, Yurkie!

I highly recommend LIttleJoe and this particular 7800 video mod. Some may prefer the scratch-built nature of the other video mod that is listed above, but having done quite a few resistor mods on other systems and seeing the results, I'll take a mod any day that uses a 4050 integrated circuit instead!

He didn't "stack" the IC sockets like I was trying to do, although it does look that way in the pictures I provided. Normally, the mod kit itself comes with an IC socket that you have to place on the motherboard, and then you insert the video mod board, which has long pins coming off the bottom and another socket, into that socket. So, in a sense, it is already a "double" stack.

What he did for mine was lengthen the pins to that come from that second socket, so that the whole board clears the other chip that is just next to the installation spot.

Here you can see the socket I have on the motherboard, and then LittleJoe's board, which consists of elongated pins, and a socket with pins at the end of those pins - -

DSCN2067.JPG

I hope that's clear . . . it's hard to explain!

Bottom line - - the proper installation does involve TWO sockets minimum, but the stacking I was doing MIGHT not have been the problem anyways, it is more likely there was a bad solder joint or trace somewhere . . .

-a2a

The 7800 DOES have stereo sound! Saw a post above where it says it's only mono. The 7800 uses the 2600 TIA chip for audio. I play all my 7800 games in stereo. The downside is the audio line from the cartridge port to hear the extra audio from Ballblazer and Commando if I'm correct. You just have to take that audio and "split" it and connect it to the stereo outputs. I believe you would need a couple of resistors and caps to do it. If you don't "split" it, it will make the sound come out mono. 7800 Asteroids is great in stereo because of the shifting or moving the sound from channel to the other and back. Happens when an enemy saucer comes out. Great in surround sound!

The 7800 DOES have stereo sound! Saw a post above where it says it's only mono. The 7800 uses the 2600 TIA chip for audio. I play all my 7800 games in stereo. The downside is the audio line from the cartridge port to hear the extra audio from Ballblazer and Commando if I'm correct. You just have to take that audio and "split" it and connect it to the stereo outputs. I believe you would need a couple of resistors and caps to do it. If you don't "split" it, it will make the sound come out mono. 7800 Asteroids is great in stereo because of the shifting or moving the sound from channel to the other and back. Happens when an enemy saucer comes out. Great in surround sound!

Could you post details on how you got stereo sound?

Oh, darn! Now I'm gonna have to tear the unit back open and do THIS mod, too! ;)

Seriously, though, if you wouldn't mind sharing how this is done, maybe with photographs, that would be GREAT!

I assume that this is just the standard stero mod for an ATARI 2600, where you lift pins 12 and 13, attach the appropriate resistors and capacitors, and send it to the LEFT/RIGHT audio jacks?

Here's some of those stereo mods I have done recently, one that I did directly near/on the TIA chip, and then one where I used a "sub-board" under my video mod board - -

post-27961-0-97978900-1337271287_thumb.jpg

(Don't mind the leads on the resistors and caps, they don't touch, and are actually very far away from each other, but the perspective in these shots skew the appearance)

post-27961-0-15193800-1337271403_thumb.jpg

(The stereo mod is the smaller per-board under the larger one, and is the same setup as the last photo, just on perf board)

The details on the Ballblazer and Commando sounds issues and solutions would be most helpful . . . those are the two carts that use POKEY sound. It sounds like you take some leads from the correct trace on the cartridge slot where POKEY sounds comes from, and link those to the LEFT/RIGHT jacks as well? And, there might be some caps and resistors that would be needed for that mod, too?

All in all, very cool to know - - it seems that ATARI 7800 programmers once again, like the 2600, HAD stereo programmed into their games, but the console did not have the right outputs to implement it! Fascinating!

I wonder what other 7800 games take advantage of stereo sound?

Thanks!

-a2a

Here's some of those stereo mods I have done recently, one that I did directly near/on the TIA chip, and then one where I used a "sub-board" under my video mod board - -

-a2a

Since your connecting to the TIA, does that mean that sound from POKEY chip games is still in mono?

I just finished installing the EURO OS Chip and Best Video Mod. The OS chip is pretty cool and I love how the game just comes on with no delay. I was lucky since my mobo already has sockets installed so that saved some soldering.

The Best video mod is ok. There is no more RF distortion which was just horrible with my 7800, but there is just a very slight ghosting. The whole video mod thing has been very frustrating because it seems like some mods work great for some people and suck for others. Wish there was one video mod that just worked for everyone. Anyway, its not perfect, but its better than it was so that's good enough for now. The Best instructions for the video mod now include the wire to fix the the sound for games with the audio on board.

Now to figure out how to install bluetooth on my 7800 :)

Edited by H311bender

• 2 weeks later...

A2A: Where did you go to get your s-video and composite Y,W,R plugs from?

Radio Shack actually has the gold-plated W / R for audio as "loose" components, but the nice yellow-plastic composite jack came as a Radio Shack jack WITHIN a larger housing that I then removed it from.

I will photograph the Radio Shack package later tonight for you. It was the most convenient and cost-effective way to get a nice yellow-plastic core jack to use for composite. If I had been doing an order from Jameco or somewhere at the time, I would have gotten them there, but as it was, I was working with "local" options.

The S-video jack actually came from LittleJoe, who has them and will include it with the boards, if you ask, however I wanted to/should have used these, which I bought a while back from the console5.com webstore (great store, by the way!) - -

http://console5.com/store/s-video-jack-gold.html

I think those look classy, and I have been using them on other consoles I mod, too.

Hope that helps!

-a2a

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above posters, would love to have some detailed descriptions on how to get stereo sound out of my 7800. Been thinking about going ahead with a LittleJoe video mod but I'd like to know if I can get some stereo sound cooking there too before I proceed. Thoughts??

I too am very interested in the stereo issue.

I just installed the Longhorn 7800 video mod and have terrible results. I posted about my issues here. I absolutely must get the issues resolved, as this is my best 7800 which is compatible with everything. I had a great picture with RF before this mod and now it's completely unacceptable. I actually didn't even realize that RF would be unusable with the mod. If anyone can answer any of the questions in my other post, I'd really appreciate it. If not, I'll end up going back to RF which would be a real shame after the nice install job I did.

• 2 months later...

The red switch is nice, but I wonder if it comes in all black ?

Why yes, actually it does! :)

Radio Shack just sources their switches from the same place that most shops like JAMECO electronics and others do, too. Radio Shack just makes a nice branded bag for them to go in!

And, Radio Shack just decided to only carry the red one.

JAMECO, however, does have it in black - -

post-27961-0-43603400-1346535624_thumb.jpg

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_315492_-1

And, other switch choices can be found in this narrowed down search (link), too.

(Sorry, true-believers, if years have passed since this post was made, and those links are broken, go to JAMECO.com and start your search there)

:D

-a2a

• 1 month later...

LittleJoe Video Mod based on Longhorn/batari Model

<snip>

IMGP4278.JPG

Curious, since the LittleJoe (electronicsentimentalities) mod pushes out mono, did you just split the signal inside the case so you wouldn't have to use an RCA mono to 2 RCA y-cable when plugging into a modern sound setup?

Excellent writeup, by the way. Just picked up my first 7800 and have spent the last couple hours researching — your post was extremely helpful!

Edited by driph

• 7 years later...