1. 1. Which game should I take

• Warlords
    • Kaboom
    • Asteroids
    • Space Invaders
    • Combat
    • Beat'em an... no, forget this
    • Ms. Pac-Man
    • Antother game (precise which one in a reply, I may not have it)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Come on! If you are not going to bring in Pitfall at such a showcase you'll have to change your nickname over here! :-D

And have someone take a video and post it on youtube for us to see!

LOL Totally forgot about this one! I don't deserve my username :( Oh well I will take it anyway because it is such an iconic game

Since we are talking about a class presentation I think Space Invaders is the best choice. Space Invaders was associated with the boom of the Atari 2600. E.T. whether right or wrong is associated with the downfall of the Atari 2600, and video games in general. Space Invaders is the Yen to the E.T. Yang. It becomes a tale of two games/periods in the Atari 2600 history. With Space Invaders I feel you can set up for a better understanding what the fall fully meant because it contrasts so much with E.T. in regards to periods.

• Like 2

Great choices!

Space Invaders is great because it was the first "killer app" (it's why my family got one!).

Kaboom is great because not only is it from the worlds first 3rd party software company, but because it also shows that you only need a knob and button for a challenging game.

Kaboom is great because not only is it from the worlds first 3rd party software company, but because it also shows that you only need a knob and button for a challenging game.

... and a hanky for your forehead when you start sweating!

Good luck on your presentation tomorrow, Harry!

Asteroids has too much flicker, especially that I am guessing that they will be using an LCD TV.

There's an important point there: are you looking to live demo the Atari in class? It may not hook up to a TV at school unless it is an older LCD with RF input. It'd crack me up if they still had a CRT type TV on an aluminum rolling shelf in the library somewhere. That'd be the ultimate demo.

They do have an old TV, so I guess it won't be a problem

Well, I'd check ahead of time to be sure the TV is available, works, and can accept VCS input. You don't want to look like an ass in front of class! As for the games, I'd load up a Harmony cart fer'sure. If that is not doable, then my choices would be:

Combat

Space Invaders

River Raid

Slot Racers

Basic Math

CD-W's Star Castle (somehow)

Defender

Flag Capture

Basic Programming

Surround

Dragster

Demon Attack

I believe it important to have a little stack of games. Because, the VCS was programmable, and you want to show versatility. You don't need to play all these games. If you do, then play for 15 seconds each and move on.

Be sure and mention Atariage and emulation too. Bring others into the hobby.

Everything went perfectly, apart from my paddles that jittered too much, so no Kaboom :_(

I actually brought some extras like Pitfall, Frogger or Demon Attack. My classmates actually chose to play Combat. Only 3 volunteers though, but all my classmates enjoyed looking at the ones playing Combat :)

Then the 3rd volunteer was "lucky" enough to play E.T. And sorry, Random Terrain, but he didn't like it :(. The whole class (including me) seemed to enjoy looking at him playing ET :D

Finally I showed my classmates me playing Frogger/Pitfall...

Pictures coming soon :D

Edited by PitfallHarry2600
  • Like 1

Come on! If you are not going to bring in Pitfall at such a showcase you'll have to change your nickname over here! :-D

And have someone take a video and post it on youtube for us to see!

LOL Totally forgot about this one! I don't deserve my username :( Oh well I will take it anyway because it is such an iconic game

first of all I love that picture..