IGNORED

Season 9 Round 3 - Xevious

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 3 of the 9th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

The first 9 games have been pre-selected and entered into a random list generator. So you guys know the games, but not the order.

Let's try 1-week rounds this season.

This round ends on Wednesday, May 2nd.

Title: Xevious

Developer: Namco

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: September 1988 (US)

http://youtu.be/fjWIqtkSlQE

Rules:

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1(t). Austin 12

1(t). peculiarsatyr 12

1(t). asponge 12

4(t). atarilovesyou 2

4(t). theKLT 2

4(t). roadrunner 2

4(t). jblenkle 2

8. cparsley 1

88, 940

Man, this is a lot more fun on the NES than on most other systems I've tried. But my Advantage joystick isn't being kind, NAY in fact is putting me at a DISAdvantage! This is a thumb-masher for sure. Something about it makes me come back to try again, great little game. How bout that sound, though?...yikes. I'll try a few more times before the weekend is through, I'm sure.

Might have time to give it another go. We'll see.

Looks like you can only see your high score at the title screen, or right before you die. Had to hook my system up to the capture box because my cell phone is terrible with black backgrounds. :)

post-24675-0-09071300-1335633490_thumb.jpg

001.jpg

Here's a bit of improvement...it seems around the 50k mark that things can get goofy. I don't really know how the AI works in this game other than if you do well, it throws more difficult enemies at you. I figure that would mean more points, but sometimes you get those annoying black orbs that appear out of nowhere a lot faster than usual...or those kamakazi things that hurtle towards you.

I don't even know if there's an 'end' to this game, but I thought I got to a wrap-point after a big blank space of yellow dessert, but nope...kept on going. I'll keep trying to improve on this score, I'm having fun with it, much more than any other version so far.

Edited by atarilovesyou

001.jpg

Here's a bit of improvement...it seems around the 50k mark that things can get goofy. I don't really know how the AI works in this game other than if you do well, it throws more difficult enemies at you. I figure that would mean more points, but sometimes you get those annoying black orbs that appear out of nowhere a lot faster than usual...or those kamakazi things that hurtle towards you.

I don't even know if there's an 'end' to this game, but I thought I got to a wrap-point after a big blank space of yellow dessert, but nope...kept on going. I'll keep trying to improve on this score, I'm having fun with it, much more than any other version so far.

I'm also perplexed by this game. When I start off strong it starts throwing shit at me that wasn't there last time.

I'm pretty sure it goes by score as to what enemies you'll see, but then again I don't know how close to the arcade this port is. All I know is I've gotten a lot further in this version, and usually they make the NES arcade ports a little less 'quarter munchy', so the difficulty curve isn't so steep.

I'm going to try it both ways...I guess I could do a google search but I'm trying to keep my knowledge of the games to a minimum, almost like back in the day!...well, along with reading the tips from members here.

Had another chance to give it a second try!

Getting farther into the game helps propel your score higher, naturally. A lot of the quick flying enemy jets will give you 100 points a pop, and there's quite a few of them. Getting extra lives helps a lot, too. I think I got at least three, maybe four on this run.

post-24675-0-29045300-1335681077_thumb.jpg

Bit more of an improvement:

004.jpg

I got to this crazy part where two strange ships zoomed in and hover in front of my ship, then disappeared with a weird sound. After that, another new ship type blew up and shots went all over the place, a little cheap but I had like two lives in reserve, so I thought I could get by it...nope. They threw everything at me (including the kitchen sink) and I barely cracked 100k.

For laughs I tried to see what happens if you only use bombs. I did that right up to the first Mothership...all that happens is you don't get the points you would have gotten by destroying the flyers (and getting the tougher, point-worthy ships). Which means less free lives, which means: keep shooting.