IGNORED

How much does a full TI system typically sell for?

S1500

A few years ago, I bought a full TI system. Console, full PEB, some disks. Even came with some extras like disks(with programs on 'em, heh), some documentation, and at least the Extended Basic cart.

I never got around to my case modding project, and now I'm looking to de-clutter my house. Shipping would be a killa, and am strongly considering selling it. Wondering the practical price range is.

A few years ago, I was told all my TI stuff was worth next to nothing. And I've got a helluva collection. That said:

TI-99/4A system CIB w/ Speech Synthesizer to be given away for free with purchase - $10-$20

Pair of original joysticks - $10-$15

Original TI tape drive - $0-$10 (or to be given away for free with system purchase)

Loaded PE box - $60-$100

Dozens to hundreds of games on disk, Scott Adams Adventure tapes, misc. docs, many TI specific mags and other assorted Triton cats, etc., $0-$50 (or expected to be given away free with purchase of console)

Good sized handful of misc. carts - $5-$50 (or expected to be given away free with purchase of console)

People on Ebay are crazy, trying to sell a console for $50... How much you can get totally depends on who is buying, how much they know, and what kind of conscience you have. At the Chicago Faire, you can pretty much *walk out* with a full system including a console, PEB, drives, 32K, RS232, carts, disks, books, etc. There is always a ton of gear that is brought because a few people decided to unload that year. Tables *stacked* with hardware. Usually not much 3rd party gear though, that stuff is still pretty well hoarded, but every now and then there is something unexpected.

I can understand the cost of shipping a PEB, but to ask for, or expect, more than $10 or $20 (not including shipping) for a stock PEB, then you would be ripping someone off, IMO. As for a console, free is a good price. I have a few to fix, and when they are working, they will be free to a good home.

I suppose asking for the amount you paid for it would be a good place to start.

Edited by matthew180

People on Ebay are crazy, trying to sell a console for $50... How much you can get totally depends on who is buying, how much they know, and what kind of conscious you have. At the Chicago Faire, you can pretty much *walk out* with a full system including a console, PEB, drives, 32K, RS232, carts, disks, books, etc. There is always a ton of gear that is brought because a few people decided to unload that year. Tables *stacked* with hardware. Usually not much 3rd party gear though, that stuff is still pretty well hoarded, but every now and then there is something unexpected.

I can understand the cost of shipping a PEB, but to ask for, or expect, more than $10 or $20 (not including shipping) for a stock PEB, then you would be ripping someone off, IMO. As for a console, free is a good price. I have a few to fix, and when they are working, they will be free to a good home.

I suppose asking for the amount you paid for it would be a good place to start.

Hmmmmm. You sell TI items for profit. Does that mean you have no conscious or are crazy ? Does the fact that you have profit built into your items mean your ripping people off ? Personally I don't think so I wonder why you think this of others.

Now for some facts...

Last time I went to the Chicago fair it cost me about $1500 bucks (2 people.). That would make for a rather expensive system. As far as hoarding goes... There have been around 15 Ramdisks of various sizes sold on Ebay the last six months or so. 3 SCSI controllers as well as a handful of Geneves, tripple tech cards and various FDC's. Lots of 3rd party gear (relatively speaking.)

Hopefully this will enlighten you, this time.

Where are you located?

I'm in the twin cities. For this whole shebang, I paid $100 for it off of craigslist.

Not sure this is really worth $100 these days, especially if the buyer has to pay shipping for the PEB. My guess is $50 for the lot is a fair price, unless the PEB has some unusual cards in it. I live in the Twin Cities as well by the way, at least until June when I permanently move to Chicago. Some day this stuff is going to become quite rare as the number of TIers using real hardware continues to dwindle, so I suggest you hang on to it unless you have a very acute space issue. Heck I'm taking all my TI gear with me to my new apartment in Chicago where space is at quite a premium!

Now if you have absolutely no intention of using your setup, then that's a different story...

Hmmmmm. You sell TI items for profit. Does that mean you have no conscious or are crazy ? Does the fact that you have profit built into your items mean your ripping people off ? Personally I don't think so I wonder why you think this of others.

Yup, I'm a greedy muther fucker with no conscience. You are awesome at figuring people out.

Now for some facts...

You always know facts, never any opinions from you. Thanks for keeping the facts and setting everything straight.

Last time I went to the Chicago fair it cost me about $1500 bucks (2 people.). That would make for a rather expensive system. As far as hoarding goes... There have been around 15 Ramdisks of various sizes sold on Ebay the last six months or so. 3 SCSI controllers as well as a handful of Geneves, tripple tech cards and various FDC's. Lots of 3rd party gear (relatively speaking.)

Consider me enlightened. Sorry for all the trouble I have caused.

Edited by matthew180

Yup, I'm a greedy muther fucker with no conscious. You are awesome at figuring people out.

Now for some facts...

You always know facts, never any opinions from you. Thanks for keeping the facts and setting everything straight.

Consider me enlightened. Sorry for all the trouble I have caused.

Never said you are greedy Matt, nor without conscious. Just struck me funny that you would imply that about others selling TI gear for a profit when you do the same thing. As for the facts..... Well a lot of what you say is being hoarded has been available in decent quantities lately. Keep tabs on Ebay and maybe you can snag some of it. I don't mean to sound condesending just trying to be analytical and rational here.

Never said you are greedy Matt, nor without conscious.

You're right, you didn't. Shit, my back is against the wall now. I'll be more careful from now on, watch what I write so I don't imply things.

Just struck me funny that you would imply that about others selling TI gear for a profit when you do the same thing.

I sell TI gear? The TI Invaders cart for $2? Any TI gear that I have, if someone really wants it, all I ask is they pay shipping. If you are referring to the homebrew stuff, well, maybe you are rich and can spend thousands of dollars on parts and boards, build it all, then give it away, but I can't. Is there profit built in? Maybe, a little, unless you count the hours put in on such projects, then you are always in the hole. But if you ever catch me trying to sell a stock 99/4A console for $50 (just checked ebay, I see lots of them), then be sure to call me out!

As for the facts..... Well a lot of what you say is being hoarded has been available in decent quantities lately. Keep tabs on Ebay and maybe you can snag some of it. I don't mean to sound condesending just trying to be analytical and rational here.

Maybe. I don't watch ebay much, and I don't have an interest in the hard disks, big RAM boards, or whatever. But other people look for it, and they complain they always get out bid, it goes too high, or it is just hard to find. I have talked to people who admit to having 3 Geneve systems. Fine. Whatever. That is their prerogative if they want to have that many, but that's still hoarding and TIers do it a lot. If they do sell some of the hard to find gear, the asking prices I have seen are what I consider unreasonable.

Then again, I'm probably full of shit.

The original poster asked what is a fair price for a console and PEB. It is worth whatever someone will pay your for it. To me, that is not much more than $50 + shipping. If someone will pay more, great, I hope both buyer and seller are happy in the end. Does that mean the seller makes a profit? Hell if I know, good for them if they do, suck for the person who paid too much. But I don't know shit about this anyway, so I'll just shut TF up about it now.

Now if you have absolutely no intention of using your setup, then that's a different story...

I just don't have time right now. I'm trying to build up my job skills, and go back to school. School needs money. My original plan was to butcher the PEB for to use it as a standard TI case, probably to the much of anger from the TI community. But I just don't have as much time as I used to for hobbies.

If I misread the inferance then I apologize. Seemed pretty cut and dry to me but perhaps that was just my take.

Still though I find it curious why people who sell on Ebay are crazy and seemingly withouth conscience in your opinion. You sell products with a 300 percent markup (which I have no problem with) That's roughly equivalent to a 50 dollar console. What exactly is the difference between what they do and what you do.

Still though I find it curious why people who sell on Ebay are crazy and seemingly withouth conscience in your opinion.

And that guy who ripped off your game and sold it on ebay?

You sell products with a 300 percent markup (which I have no problem with)

What exactly is it I'm selling for a 300 percent markup?

Still though I find it curious why people who sell on Ebay are crazy and seemingly withouth conscience in your opinion.

And that guy who ripped off your game and sold it on ebay?

You sell products with a 300 percent markup (which I have no problem with)

What exactly is it I'm selling for a 300 percent markup?

Oh come on Matt. To judge everyone who sells on Ebay by one individual? You know as well as I do that people selling merch that they have no right to sell happens in many venues not just there. There are several here who sell on Ebay and I don't find them crazy or unreasonable (most times ;-).)

As for the other part. Well lets just leave that alone for now.

This has not been a personal attack Matt although it looks to me like perhaps you would like it to be one. Seems to me that you have a lot of effort tied up in being a victim on this thread.

My take.....

You called people who use Ebay crazy and you single handedly established prices that if they were exceeded would be a rip-off. That is your opinion and your entitled to it. When you post it on an open forum then you invite response (which is what I did.) I buy and sell on Ebay as well as do many others (a lot of them here I suspect.) I don't think most of them shady or unscrupulous or crazy. Most are honest forthright individuals and if they want to make a buck on the TI (just like you and I do) then more power to them (and you and I.) If you think it's too expensive then don't buy it (most excersise that ability without too much angst.)

Although I wasn't offended over your comments I do felt them uninformed and biased and broad. Your statement that all the good hardware is locked up is simply not true. The last 6 months have seen an abundance of the good stuff on Ebay. There are some items on the block right now. Ernie (epergrem on Ebay) has more useful items available for auction and James Postal (Y! TI99/4A and TI-994A groups.) has new IDE cards for sale (not eEbay related.) This was noted in a previous AA thread and earlier in the postings. If your not interested then your not interested. That's up to you. But you really can't say it's unavailable.

Since you admittedly don't follow Ebay I also find it suspect that you would know the going rate for some items. I tend to track certain items in auctions so perhaps this may help. Take it for what it's worth.

Consoles: $15 - $100 depending on condition of components, literature and box.

PEB fully loaded with TI cards like the OP has: $65-$100 depending on condition and shipping costs. I think a good rule of thumb with PEB's is that cost + shipping hovers around $110-$140.

Single TI cards: $15-$25.

Single common 3rd party cards: $15-$40.

DD FDC's: $80-$140

RAM Disks: $65-$180 depending on what type and size.

WHT SCSI cards: $120-160+.

IDE Cards: Currently $260 (not an Ebay item.)

Geneves: Wild cards. Depends on who's bidding.

This is of course a generalization based on watching Auctions on Ebay. You may very well feel that this is way too much money to spend for your interest level and that's fine but it doesn't mean it's a rip off or anyone is nuts for buying it. It is simply a free market at work.

Don't know why you brought up Kyle ? As stated earlier every marketplace has it's individuals who have no problem selling items they are either counterfeiting or have not obtained license to sell from the IP owners. It's like knock off gear with company logo's or trademarks. Fake merch is sold in many markets not just Ebay. It would be silly to judge everyone by the actions of one person.

Below is an Email from you. This is where I got the figure for the 300 percent markup from cost. Remember ....you asked for it.... twice.

matthew180

Stargunner

1,211 posts

Sent Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:42 AM

Well, that Kyle guy on ebay thought is was good enough to start selling it. ;) I would probably come up with a label and have them printed on UV proof vinyl like I'm doing for PITFALL! I could probably also come up with a manual too. People seem to like that complete package of an actual cartridge with a manual. PITFALL! is available for free too, but all of my orders so far have included a PITFALL! cart. Some people can't burn an EPROM or don't have (or want to mess with) a 64K board to use the EPROM Bob is selling.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you, I just thought it might be a nice addition since it is an original work and seems to be very popular.

Please don't share these expenses with others since people have a hard time understanding the need for hobbyists to make a small profit in order to continue. The particulars are that is costs me:

$8.17 board

$1.50 PROM (I'm using OTP EPROMS for the games I'm selling)

$1.00 Label

$0.50 Cart shell

-----

$11.17 to make a cart

From that PayPal will take a cut during the sale of about $1.57. So $12.74 total. I like to make at least the cost of the board in profit so I can make more when they run out, plus the process of making a cart takes a lot of time! So total cost plus my profit is $22.74, so let's just say $23 since some of those costs change. Shipping is always extra for the customer, so, anything over $23 would be your profit.

We could probably put the cart up for $35 and see how it goes. You would get $12 per cart sold. We can go anywhere between $25 and $40 depending on how much you want to make per cart.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'd like to be able to keep doing this and help get a little money in to the pockets of the people taking the time to write such great software! :)

Matthew

Code|Hack|Create

If my math is wrong then I appologize. Bear in mind that I understand that there is effort involved in providing a product and I think that those who rightfully do are entitled to renumeration. I don't fault you that one bit. But it is a 300 percent markup.

I'll reiterate..... You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. I did not personally attack you nor do you personally bother me. I think you went a bit off the deep end on this one Matt. I've Been there many a time so no harm done on this end. Maybe we can put this behind us and get along.

Wow Marc, that's quite some effort on your part. Nice to know you can't be trusted.

I advocate making some profit for homebrew stuff and I have said that before in the forum. I sell the 64K Carts for $20. So, $20 - $12.74 is, let's see $7.26 "profit", or "markup", or whatever you want to call it. Let me try to make 300 percent out of that somehow... I'm not getting it, why don't you enlighten me again.

Oh... you mean PITFALL! for $40. I'm so stupid. But, you better go ask Retroclouds how much he gets for every PITFALL! I sell and subtract that. I think you will find it comes out about the same.

As for ebay, let me check again... Yup, consoles going for $0.99, $9.99, $34.99, and there's one for $99.00. So, based on that, what is the fair price, or "going rate" for a console? Looks pretty crazy to me, and my opinion is still that using ebay to try to establish value is useless.

Maybe we can put this behind us and get along.

I don't believe you.