IGNORED

Need advice whether to mod Heavy Sixer!

bwestdpm

It wouldn't be wise to mod a Heavy Sixer considering how rare they are. If I got my hands on a working Heavy Sixer, I wouldn't mod it no matter what.

Ok. I understand.

10 years from now, will they still be making new TVs with analog RF? Probably not, because it's already being phased out. Good CRT TVs will probably be getting hard to come by, at least at affordable prices. And you will probably no longer have a TV with analog RF inputs. I'm personally not going to go out and buy a hulking VCR that I'd have to try to hide somewhere just to convert the RF to composite.

What if the RF on your H6 dies? Maybe you can buy another aging RF module, or you can kill another 2600 for its RF. But eventually those sources will dry up, and you'd be killing another console for the sake of keeping yours original.

When does it become feasible to change "no matter what" to become "I'll do it because I need to" just so that your beautiful H6 can get some play time? Or will it sit on a shelf collecting dust with all the other original, un-modded consoles in your closet?

It wouldn't be wise to mod a Heavy Sixer considering how rare they are. If I got my hands on a working Heavy Sixer, I wouldn't mod it no matter what.

Ok. I understand.

10 years from now, will they still be making new TVs with analog RF? Probably not, because it's already being phased out. Good CRT TVs will probably be getting hard to come by, at least at affordable prices. And you will probably no longer have a TV with analog RF inputs. I'm personally not going to go out and buy a hulking VCR that I'd have to try to hide somewhere just to convert the RF to composite.

What if the RF on your H6 dies? Maybe you can buy another aging RF module, or you can kill another 2600 for its RF. But eventually those sources will dry up, and you'd be killing another console for the sake of keeping yours original.

When does it become feasible to change "no matter what" to become "I'll do it because I need to" just so that your beautiful H6 can get some play time? Or will it sit on a shelf collecting dust with all the other original, un-modded consoles in your closet?

RF converters can be found at charity thrifts for $5 all the time. Stock up.

Look at it this way:

Do you want to enjoy your heavy sixer for what it was built for? (playing games)

Or do you care more about how much money it is worth to some nutballs on the Internet?

Play your games and enjoy them. Life is too short to put your toys on the shelf and brag about how much money they might be worth some day.

• Like 1

RF converters can be found at charity thrifts for $5 all the time. Stock up.

I hit my local GWs and garage sales every few weeks looking for good deals. This has been on my list for some time, but I've not seen any in over 2 years.

All I see on ebay are composite to RF converters, the opposite of what is needed here, and they cost a pretty penny.

A quick look into the replies here, but didn't see anyone addressing yet, the enhanced color output of a Heavy Sixer if modded. I wonder how well that would translate through composite or S-video? RF through all of my systems is really good, so I've never felt the need really to mod any of them and yeah, not really keen on modding an original H6'er. I'd use a VCR to convert RF to composite long before hacking up my machine. :)

I'll mod my big sexy when its the very last atari console on the planet AND every CRT and RF switch is turned to dust. Until then I won't friggen do it - which will be a VERY long time from now when the fishmen rule the planet and we're all wearing silver one-piece unitards to slave in their underwater fish mines.

I originally said that I wouldn't mod mine earlier in this thread. Well now I am ordering a Batari mod for it.

If I modded just some 4 switcher or another less rare atari, I would use the heavy sixer a lot less. I don't want it sitting around collecting dust like someone else said. The mod will bring it new life.

Also, they aren't any less rare. I could probably even get more money out of it if I ever sell it.

And, it will have a very nice video

Edited by flammingcowz
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...