IGNORED

Rick Dangerous

Heaven/TQA

While I can't understand any of it, I got from the comments on atarionline that they are trying to get it onto a cassette.

From what I understood, they want this game run on 64k machine. It will load from cartridge, disk or cassette. The sound visuals are done. Currently they are working on artificial intelligence of enemies. Later in the video, they compare it to the other 8 bit versions.

The release date is still unknown. They have many projects going simultaneously (demos etc) and game development can take a month or two months brakes.

• Like 3

Thanks! It was good seeing the guys doing the work but the Polish is pretty indecipherable to me.

For some reason (probably old age) I'm having real difficulty picking up Polish and Czech organically like I did with French and German, I can't speak or write it but I am able to get the gist if I read or hear it, no such luck with Polish and Czech, I hope it happens with time.

Thanks! It was good seeing the guys doing the work but the Polish is pretty indecipherable to me.

For some reason (probably old age) I'm having real difficulty picking up Polish and Czech organically like I did with French and German, I can't speak or write it but I am able to get the gist if I read or hear it, no such luck with Polish and Czech, I hope it happens with time.

That's sort of like me. I took a couple semesters of German and Spanish in high-school and college years ago, never really used it, but I get the gist of them both if I read them, can get the gist of Spanish if I hear it, after a lifetime on-and-off around Spanish speakers, but I can barely speak or write either. But also, Spanish and German are closer to English than Polish and Czech. Polish and Czech words can sometimes seem as alien to me as Oriental calligraphy.

It was already a time for 16bits... Rick came out in '89 and Rick 2 and impossamole in '90... Those were the last games made by Core design for 8bits...

Only other game worked on was C64 port of Chuck Rock and even that one was not published and only came out recently on Games that weren't website...

Technically there was no reason Rick wouldn't fit in Atari 8bit. Only thing I can think of is that it wasn't popular in UK and they didn't have a coder available at that time.

Also I don't see 64k as some hard limit... There are only a couple different sprites on screen at once and all possible shifted frames for soft sprites can be generated on the fly when screen transitions happen. Yes it's more complex than having everything unrolled in memory at once, but considering how much work is already done it should be possible.

Great work coders!!!

Looking at the video review of C64 Chuck Rock:

https://youtu.be/dRyNtHwCiQo

A lot of work went into the graphics and sound, but the fantastic efforts were no doubt wasted somewhat.

If it's as frustrating as it sounds to actually play, i wonder how many C64 owners actually stuck with it for long?

Yes, considering European languages only, I was told Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Icelandic, Basque and Finnish are the most difficult languages to learn if you come from an Anglo-Saxon, Romanic or Germanic language.

Never had issues with Hungarian language and Slavian languages but polish seems to be little different ;)

I was told that Assembler is hard to learn, too. :D

Karolj

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's sort of like me. I took a couple semesters of German and Spanish in high-school and college years ago, never really used it, but I get the gist of them both if I read them, can get the gist of Spanish if I hear it, after a lifetime on-and-off around Spanish speakers, but I can barely speak or write either. But also, Spanish and German are closer to English than Polish and Czech. Polish and Czech words can sometimes seem as alien to me as Oriental calligraphy.

Fortunatelly we Slovans are not aliens, our roots reach from the time when people begin to settle European land. Slovans (ex-Yugoslavian countries, Czech, Polish, Slovaks, Bolgarians, Romunians) are Indians of Europe. I am really proud I am Slovenian, our language was not perished, thanks God.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Me too...Still play it on C64 and Amiga..

This was just released for the Intellivision this month.  It's called Rick Dynamite and the graphics are simplified but it's bang on in level design and gameplay (Even saves high scores).  Can't wait to use my newly developed Rick skills on the 8-bit Atari version.  Still progressing through Egypt stage.

Disclaimer (not my video)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

This was just released for the Intellivision this month.  It's called Rick Dynamite and the graphics are simplified but it's bang on in level design and gameplay (Even saves high scores).  Can't wait to use my newly developed Rick skills on the 8-bit Atari version.  Still progressing through Egypt stage.

Disclaimer (not my video)

Very nice indeed, thank you..

Someone link this already but not cited whole trivia :]

TRIVIA

For those of you visiting this page in search of more info about Rick that very few people would know about (and more could care less about), here are some odd bits of trivia:

The squashed look of the characters was inspired by the Spectrum game ‘Joe Blade’ and the wondrous art of Argentinian cartoonist Guillermo Mordillo.

The screen was 32 characters (256 pixels) wide on all formats, including the Amiga and ST versions, since we were so tight on time we could not afford to have different width maps for the different formats.

Similarly, all sprites were 24 pixels wide by 21 pixels high on all formats – the restriction of the hardware sprites on the Commodore 64 – another time-saving technique.

Rick’s characteristic ‘Waaaah!’ sound effect was me – recorded on an old tape cassette machine – the result of myself and Terry spending a half-hour making ridiculous noises for the game and picking the funniest.

The cartoon strip that came boxed with the game was drawn by Ian Gibson – of 2000AD’s Robo Hunter fame. We knew nothing of this until we received boxed copies of the game and it was a great surprise to think that one of my comic artist heroes had illustrated a game that I’d worked on. (The ‘Fat Guy’ who appeared later in Rick Dangerous 2 was entirely a creation of Mr Gibson’s and was such a hit with us that we simply had to bring him in as Rick’s nemesis when it came around to doing the sequel.)

There were 74 different enemy and trap types in the game, all handled by the same very simple and very small control routine.

Rick was designed in July 1988 and took four months to create, although it was not released until June of the following year. (Back then it was often the case that you would finish making a game only for it to be held for a period and not three seconds after you had made your final build.)

The game ran to 85 screens in size on the 8-bit formats, with 50 additional screens on the 16-bit formats.

One feature that was designed but never implemented was a sequence in which the enemies on a level could capture Rick. The plan was to show an animated sequence in which Rick was carried off tied to a stretcher. He would then be placed in a cell with four exits that the player could choose between. 2 exits would lead to instant deaths, 1 exit would return Rick to the start of the level he was on with the final exit that returning our hero to the last position he was at when captured. Fortunately for us all, this frustrating little feature never saw the light of day.

Edited by zbyti
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...