IGNORED

Fitting the F18A and an amplifier into the 4A console II

Willsy

TI-Sissy, you are going to have it hooked up to your new TV, right? That should be more than adequate. No amplifier needed, Just Y off of the AV port. Even if you get a F18A, you can still use audio off the existing port.

This is what I do with my monitor, f18a to vga, and composite cable audio out to a RCA -> miniaudio jack and my monitor has built in speakers/amp

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Is this the amplifier you used, Vellman K8066?

http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=521723

Is 3W mono enough?

Now I need to find a good volume wheel. I'd rather have the wheel than a knob. How about this, 10K-Ohm wheel potentiometer?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3064080&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=2710001&cid=iP:PLA:RSO:Google&gclid=CPLtzLvOm8ACFWiG7AodP2UANA&gclsrc=ds

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler

OK, I just alligator clipped a set of earbugs to the mobo and it was loud as hell. In my opinion, it does NOT need an amplifier. It was easily as loud as any PC audio jack with the volume all the way up. I think I am going to put a volume wheel on it and wire it straight to an audio jack.

Darryl

OK, I just alligator clipped a set of earbugs to the mobo and it was loud as hell. In my opinion, it does NOT need an amplifier. It was easily as loud as any PC audio jack with the volume all the way up. I think I am going to put a volume wheel on it and wire it straight to an audio jack.

Does anyone have schematics for the 99/4 to confirm that this is how it was done on that model?

Darryl

You mean you're going to run a speaker straight off the audio output? Might work. Didn't try that. I just went for an amplifier.

You mean you're going to run a speaker straight off the audio output? Might work. Didn't try that. I just went for an amplifier.

Yes. Before this test, I was assuming I'd need an amplifier. But clearly, I don't. I will try one more test with a small speaker (and no amp) to see if it's loud enough for an internal speaker. Oh, and you will probably be interested to know that the "processing sounds" were in the audio... which is just as I remember it when I was younger. But I thought you'd like to know in case you might be thinking it was coming in through the amplifier circuit.

Darryl

Yes. Before this test, I was assuming I'd need an amplifier. But clearly, I don't. I will try one more test with a small speaker (and no amp) to see if it's loud enough for an internal speaker. Oh, and you will probably be interested to know that the "processing sounds" were in the audio... which is just as I remember it when I was younger. But I thought you'd like to know in case you might be thinking it was coming in through the amplifier circuit.

Darryl

I tried it with a small speaker with no amp, but it's way too silent. At least for me. I'll be going for a K1803.

The 99/4s with an installed speaker are pretty uncommon--but if no one turns up a schematic that shows the complete audio circuit, I can probably open one of my /4s up to look at what's actually in there and trace it out. I have both variants--one with the internal speaker and one with the jack. . .

My amplifier arrived Saturday. I heard the sounds of rattling loose parts in the package. When I opened it up I discovered it’s a kit! Lol I swear I saw nothing indicating it was a build-it-yourself kit in the ad. Looks like I will get some good practice soldering. I’m actually looking forward to it.

Anyone have a good source for a cheap speaker? I would imagine 2” round is about right. I saw one somewhere that was rectangular and maybe even smaller. And how should I attach it inside? I am not fond of gluing things inside the case. I’d prefer to screw it down.

Darryl

Anyone have a good source for a cheap speaker?

Here are some possibilities...

Speaker: 1-3/4

Speaker: 2-0/0

Speaker: 2-1/4

I'd open it up and take some measurement to see how deep of a speaker you can use. You cannot see it in this picture, but I seem to remember a perfectly round spot for a speaker under the cartridge area.

IMG_7201.jpg

• 1 year later...

I understand busy! I've been spending all of my free time building SAMS cards for folks--of course, I haven't had much free time lately either, with work, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, and my boys all competing for it. Sometimes, I even get a chance to sleep. . .

• Like 2