IGNORED

Space Rocks (2600)

SpiceWare

I definitely want Space Rocks. I've been playing the bin for so long it would be great to have a physical cartridge.

As I play the game, I wonder what it would be like if the rocks bounced or broke up when they hit each other. I know the arcade game does not do that but I think it would make the game harder if that happened. Maybe it does on higher levels or newer builds.

I seem to recall Darrell mentioning rock-to-rock collisions during development. As I recall, there just isn't enough time to do the necessary calculations.

When I was participating in the label contest sketching out ideas I actually had thoughts about billiards-like gameplay, where shooting a rock could make it hit another rock, changing its trajectory, which would possibly hit other rocks, and so on. It would make for some extremely chaotic and exciting game play. Toss in some competitive two-player and it could be fun. :)

As I play the game, I wonder what it would be like if the rocks bounced or broke up when they hit each other. I know the arcade game does not do that but I think it would make the game harder if that happened. Maybe it does on higher levels or newer builds.

I seem to recall Darrell mentioning rock-to-rock collisions during development. As I recall, there just isn't enough time to do the necessary calculations.

Nathan's correct, there's no time for it. I covered that in this reply back on page 3.

Too bad. It would have been cool but I'm definitely happy with the game as it is now. I've been playing the heck out of it and I can't wait for the cartridge.

Bounce/break up/combine are things that I've been playing with on my own version of asteroids for Windows Phone and Android.

Had this come out in the console's heyday, it would have been Pitfall, River Raid, Solaris, whatever! Rockstar status.

This is a meaningless statement, since the ARM coprocessor that Space Rocks requires to run didn't exist until around 2001. So it literally could not have come out in the console's heyday.

It is interesting that you found cause to take a compliment from me to a dev and characterize it as "meaningless". At heart it was just a compliment.. does that offend you? In the rap game we have a well-worn term for someone who abhors the accolades given another: "hater."

Are you a hater, or just an uber techno-geek? I can't see another option that would prompt you to jump at the chance to deflect my compliment. Who cares if it didn't match the technical facts. I was just saying "good job!"

This is a meaningless statement, since the ARM coprocessor that Space Rocks requires to run didn't exist until around 2001. So it literally could not have come out in the console's heyday.

Space Rocks doesn't require an ARM coprocessor. Where did you get that?

..and technically speaking, "had this come out" obviously would include the necessary accompanying technology. I'm voting "hater."

I will be anticipating your next 2600 release. Hope it's as good as Space Rocks! But of course with the new R-16 ARM Space Modulator unit, I'm sure an exceptional game is child's play to develop.

Space Rocks is simply unbelievable. Had this come out in the console's heyday, it would have been Pitfall, River Raid, Solaris, whatever! Rockstar status.

Thanks!

They could have used something other than an ARM - The Graduate added an extra CPU to the Atari via the cartridge port, so they knew how to do it back in the day. The Graduate also used bus-stuffing to drive the Atari, which is even more advanced than the DPC+ driver I used for Space Rocks.

Space Rocks doesn't require an ARM coprocessor. Where did you get that?

As written it does. The 6507 drives the display, the ARM found in the Harmony/Melody drives the game logic plus it acts as a co-processor while the 6507 is updating the display (that's what DPC+ is, a co-processor like the one found in the 2600 version of Pitfall 2). We added ARM emulation to Stella version 3.4 to aid in the development of games like Frantic and Space Rocks.

Edited by SpiceWare

It is interesting that you found cause to take a compliment from me to a dev and characterize it as "meaningless". At heart it was just a compliment.. does that offend you? In the rap game we have a well-worn term for someone who abhors the accolades given another: "hater."

Are you a hater, or just an uber techno-geek? I can't see another option that would prompt you to jump at the chance to deflect my compliment. Who cares if it didn't match the technical facts. I was just saying "good job!"

Just think of ZylonBane as Atari Age's Comic Book Guy and he comes off as a lot less insolent.

• Like 4

..and technically speaking, "had this come out" obviously would include the necessary accompanying technology.

I will agree that people certainly would have been impressed by a game cartridge that included technology from 20 years in the future. Cyberdyne Systems would have been all over that.

See, by claiming that something would be impressive to people who didn't have access to the base technology to create that thing, you're making what is known as a "backhanded compliment". For example, the Game.Com would have been insanely impressive if shown to some computer scientists in, say, the 70s. Space Rocks, on the other hand, is impressive now.

So if you're quite done insulting SpiceWare's work, I'll be moseying along.

I see, so your position is that I'm actually INSULTING SpiceWare's work. I can only assume you are trolling; nobody is that much of a tool. Wash your beard.

It's ok, You have been trolled.

You haven't gotten that vibe from ZB yet? ;)

To troll ZB back, find a way to bring up "Mode 7". Works like a charm.

note: i'm just picking on him. ZB is a cool dude.

Edited by Csonicgo

My new harmony cart says this game is AWESOME !!

Edit: Don't remember sucking this bad at Asteroids. Although those magna-mines hone in pretty good with the rocks. This has to hit the store soon. The only thing that would slow my purchase (slow, not stop) is if I get a paypal invoices for an AtariVox.

Edited by roryjr

Just stumbled into this game, just incredible. Partially just seeing the evolution after playing the original bin followed by the current, just fantastic work SW!!! I can't wait for this to come out on cart. Just makes me love the whole Atari scene, to see things like this and Frantic. Amazing.