IGNORED

Space Rocks (2600)

SpiceWare

wow, just wow...

It's not like programmers wake up every morning Hell bent on building games that won't run on the flashback 2... It's just that it really has some flaws that break its compatibility with code that runs on real hardware. That the poster thinks Space Rocks and Star Castle were built with BB really showcases his naivety of programming.

• Like 2

It's not like programmers wake up every morning Hell bent on building games that won't run on the flashback 2... It's just that it really has some flaws that break its compatibility with code that runs on real hardware. That the poster thinks Space Rocks and Star Castle were built with BB really showcases his naivety of programming.

I have no idea where he even got that idea--perhaps he just assumes that any homebrew games that don't run on the Flashback 2 are batari Basic games? And knocking all batari Basic games as amongst the "worst" 2600 homebrews isn't fair either, since there are many excellent batari Basic games.

..Al

• Like 1

I have no idea where he even got that idea--perhaps he just assumes that any homebrew games that don't run on the Flashback 2 are batari Basic games? And knocking all batari Basic games as amongst the "worst" 2600 homebrews isn't fair either, since there are many excellent batari Basic games.

True. But the original poster in that thread was spot-on. ;)

• Like 3

It's been explained it to him a number of times that it's a design problem with the FB2 which prevents DPC, DPC+, SARA and other advanced techniques from working. I know I pointed him to that at least twice.

I also had some discussion with him on this. And I got the feeling that no matter what anyone said, and how he responded, he still wasn't going to get the point (intentionally, IMO). And sure enough, he simply goes to another site and starts bad-mouthing there. I'd suggested that if a game doesn't run in Stella (because the emulation is wrong in some way), that is not a reason to change the game to make it work. By definition, if a game works on the real thing and not in simulation/emulation, then it is the fault of the simulation (which is what a Flashback is, no matter how he wants to spin it).

Geesh, some people just really don't get things sometimes ...

• Like 2

I just posted a message in that thread.

..Al

That guy's username should be brickwall. Holy cow. Way to damn homebrews that don't run on a clone. That's like saying Castlevania III is the worst game because it doesn't run on the Super Fun Happy Famijoy 3 Plus.

• Like 2

It's been explained it to him a number of times that it's a design problem with the FB2 which prevents DPC, DPC+, SARA and other advanced techniques from working. I know I pointed him to that at least twice.

I also had some discussion with him on this. And I got the feeling that no matter what anyone said, and how he responded, he still wasn't going to get the point (intentionally, IMO). And sure enough, he simply goes to another site and starts bad-mouthing there. I'd suggested that if a game doesn't run in Stella (because the emulation is wrong in some way), that is not a reason to change the game to make it work. By definition, if a game works on the real thing and not in simulation/emulation, then it is the fault of the simulation (which is what a Flashback is, no matter how he wants to spin it).

Geesh, some people just really don't get things sometimes ...

Hi there, yup it's me the bad-mouther. Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up on any of these discussions, I was out of town.

Anyway, I sincerely want to thank SpiceWare for the detailed explanation about the FB2 limitations (twice, I know) and you can all consider me "schooled" at this point. I think the reason I whine and complain about all of this is because modern gaming both on PC and consoles is a pile of compatibility nightmares sometimes and when I think of the 2600 I think of a simpler time when things just work so when I load up a homebrew on my modded FB2 and it doesn't work it gets my back up. I tend to rage and take out my frustrations online when really I should be happy that there are such awesome games being made for the 2600.

So this is me genuinely apologizing for all the cantankerous remarks I have made and thanking you all for patiently explaining to me the issues.

I'll be keeping my mouth shut on this issue from now on. Promise. :)

• Like 5

Hi there, yup it's me the bad-mouther. Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up on any of these discussions, I was out of town.

Anyway, I sincerely want to thank SpiceWare for the detailed explanation about the FB2 limitations (twice, I know) and you can all consider me "schooled" at this point. I think the reason I whine and complain about all of this is because modern gaming both on PC and consoles is a pile of compatibility nightmares sometimes and when I think of the 2600 I think of a simpler time when things just work so when I load up a homebrew on my modded FB2 and it doesn't work it gets my back up. I tend to rage and take out my frustrations online when really I should be happy that there are such awesome games being made for the 2600.

So this is me genuinely apologizing for all the cantankerous remarks I have made and thanking you all for patiently explaining to me the issues.

I'll be keeping my mouth shut on this issue from now on. Promise. :)

To what address should we send the real 2600 so you can play these games and speak of them with first hand knowledge? :)
  • Like 1

To what address should we send the real 2600 so you can play these games and speak of them with first hand knowledge? icon_smile.gif

Heh heh heh very kind offer BigO, much appreciated.

I just hope everyone continues to let me post here on AA. No doubt between this FB stuff and the awesome guys at No Quarter getting the venting of my ire, I'm surprised Albert and company haven't banned me by now.

And to that end, I'm totally going to count to ten before I post from now on.

I just hope everyone continues to let me post here on AA. No doubt between this FB stuff and the awesome guys at No Quarter getting the venting of my ire, I'm surprised Albert and company haven't banned me by now.

Takes a lot of guts to admit that kind of thing.... good for you, and I don't mean that facetiously.

You'd have to do quite a bit more than that to get banned. And no reason to keep your mouth shut. :)

..Al

Agreed.

I think the biggest problem was our previous explanations of the A12 problem did not explain it well enough. I'm hoping that my latest explanation made it understandable so that he's not apologizing "just because we caught him".

Nope no worries SpiceWare, your explanation totally nailed it. And I am genuinely apologizing, I am glad my venting was called out and cleared up for being baseless, it makes the whole situation a heck of a lot more liveable. I see my FB2 in a clearer light now and will absolutely understand its limitations. I promise not to take it out on the excellent work homebrewers are doing such as Space Rocks and the others.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Oh my god SpiceWare. Thanks for posting a link to this game on my blog. I don't know how it flew under my radar. I didn't think it would be possible for someone to invent a version of Asteroids that exceeded my love for the 2600 version.

Irks me about my 7800's issues in 2600 mode though. I might try running it on my Nexus 7 as I get a real sharp picture there. I suppose I should invest in a modded 2600 Jr lol