IGNORED

Sears Video Arcade II Power Supply help

Grig

Hi. I just purchased a boxed Sears Video Arcade II (for only $20!!!) but it is missing the power supply. I'd like an original if anyone has one for sale (and a system manual) but if not - is there an alternative? Thanks!

Jon

I don't think you are going to find the original specifically. It's a 3.5mm barrel 9v positive center. I can hook you up with something that works.

Is it anything like an NES or SNES PS?

I've used both an Atari 810 power supply and a Sega Genesis 1 power supply with mine and they work fine. There's an old thread on here somewhere about how you can use an AT&T answering machine power supply and also a Radio Shack generic power supply. I've also seen a Mattel power supply that worked, but I don't know what it came from, perhaps an Intellivision (it was a higher voltage however, so that would make me a little nervous for long term use).

Wow, thanks so much for the help. I'll try my 810 PS as it's in the house and ready to go. I hope the controllers work but I'm not holding out hope. It's OK if they don't, I'll pick up the NIB ones from Akator. I just love the fact that I got the box too (and I have a CIB Telegames Space Invaders to go with it!). Anyway, thanks a lot and I'll report back soon to let you know if it works. Hopefully I can find an original some day to go with my boxed set!

• 6 years later...

I've got a SVA II in a box around here somewhere, as I use my 7800 for 2600 games. As the.golden.ax said, it uses the same power supply as other 2600s as I recall. 9 volts DC, center pin(tip) positive, 500ma. 3.5mm(1/8") 'phono' plug.

Higher output traditional heavy transformer 'wall warts' listed as capable of supplying 1 amp or more are generally not recommended as they may cause the 2600's regulator to dissipate more heat depending on the type of regulation present in the particular power supply.

It's been too long since I looked at that thing, apparently. I could swear that I'd used my Coleco Gemini's PS with it, but from all of the pictures I can find, The SVA II does seem to have a barrel plug instead of a phono. I'd pull mine out and check, but I'm not sure which box it's in.

I know I fixed one just a few weeks back and was using a spare model 1 Genesis PSU with it. I also use a Genesis model 1 with my NES and have never had any issues with it since it will just bypass the rectifier being DC already.

The unit needs about 9.5 Volt AC! Not DC!

Believe it or not, I use the original NES power adapter!

Works great!

This is correct. The Atari 2800 and Sears Video Arcade II both use AC power not the far more common DC power.

I use a modern 10VAC power supply I had that was lying around from some other equipment and works perfectly.

So far I have tried Atari 5200, NES original, and Atari Jaguar power supplies without luck. While the lights on the SVAII light up, the picture on the television stays black, or black with horizontal lines along the left side. Unfortunately, I do not have a Genesis 1 power supply to see if that works. The other thing is I can't say whether it's a power supply issue, or perhaps something in the console, as it arrived without a power supply. It does require a barrel plug input.

So far I have tried Atari 5200, NES original, and Atari Jaguar power supplies without luck. While the lights on the SVAII light up, the picture on the television stays black, or black with horizontal lines along the left side. Unfortunately, I do not have a Genesis 1 power supply to see if that works. The other thing is I can't say whether it's a power supply issue, or perhaps something in the console, as it arrived without a power supply. It does require a barrel plug input.

Had nearly the same issue with the one I fixed about a month ago now? It ended up being an issue with the TIA. Or at least that was the last thing I replaced when it suddenly started to provide a picture. I still have an issue with the player 2 difficulty being stuck in the NOVICE setting but it isn't due to any of the three main chips as replacing all of them didn't fix that issue. Still it is playable otherwise and I was just using a Genesis model 1 supply because it was the closest thing I had on hand. A 5200 PSU should be good as well and I used those more than once to power my Intelly 2. Same situation where it has a rectifier to convert the AC from the wall wart to DC in the system.

Had nearly the same issue with the one I fixed about a month ago now? It ended up being an issue with the TIA. Or at least that was the last thing I replaced when it suddenly started to provide a picture. I still have an issue with the player 2 difficulty being stuck in the NOVICE setting but it isn't due to any of the three main chips as replacing all of them didn't fix that issue. Still it is playable otherwise and I was just using a Genesis model 1 supply because it was the closest thing I had on hand. A 5200 PSU should be good as well and I used those more than once to power my Intelly 2. Same situation where it has a rectifier to convert the AC from the wall wart to DC in the system.

Thanks, I will look into that. I will be opening up the console this weekend. Will start with another cleaning of the cartridge port and see what happens. I too got the 5200 power supply for an INTV2.

I opened the console up and gave it a clean without a new result. The inside looked quite good, with little dust and no signs of spilling or anything. I didn't take off the rf shielding, but did clean around the cartridge port and used a cut credit card to clean the contacts (although little dirt came back). I am not techie enough to get further into chips and such, so for now at least it'll be a box model.