IGNORED

Season 9 Round 4 - Super C

Welcome to round 4 of the 9th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

The first 9 games have been pre-selected and entered into a random list generator. So you guys know the games, but not the order.

Let's try 1-week rounds this season.

This round ends on Thursday, May 10th.

Title: Super C

Developer: Konami

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: April, 1990 (US)

http://youtu.be/91-LoDomOB8

Rules:

No Komani Code!! (Duh...)

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1. Austin 21

2. peculiarsatyr 18

3. asponge 13

4. atarilovesyou 5

5(t). roadrunner 3

5(t). jblenkle 3

7. theKLT 2

8(t). cparsley 1

8(t). mihcael 1

8(t). LarcenTyler 1

I'll give you guys something to shoot for:

This score is from a full run. I could have kept going, but I didn't feel like playing long. Basically, if you can beat the game then keep going, you can beat this score. :)

Note: You get a ton of extra lives in this game. At least seven to nine of them in the first loop, from what I can tell. I only died once in this run, by the way!

post-24675-0-96491200-1336104251_thumb.jpg

They are both good. I'd probably rate them both the same if I had to.

The pits, I think you are talking about towards the end of the jungle stage (stage 3) where the earth starts to rumble and pits are created as you run. Just take your time on this part. The pits should start dropping/forming right before you touch them, so inching your way along might work. Or you can watch a YouTube video and get the pattern down. ;)

First score:

It's been a while, but I'm already learning where the quick kills are...I forgot how tricky it can be trying to max score, rather than to just complete the thing! I like the fact that most of your weapons are actually useful...unlike that piece o' turd fireball from Contra, it's useful in this one! Laser is still a piece o' crap though...I was still surprised to find out that the R powerup modifies any special weapon. Back in the day I thought it was only useful with the original peashooter gun...but it's much more evident in Super C. Fun game!

post-27362-0-87983400-1336451616_thumb.png

I was doing great all the way into area 5. That bone spaceship dropping the skulls really put the screws to me.

What is the R powerup, exactly? just lets you have more shots on the screen?

It actually makes your shots fly faster and, as atarilovesyou mentioned, can be paired with other weapons. Getting the rapid fire spread gun feels almost like cheating. ;-)

New score:

I am the king of pooching it when the chips are down! I should have broken the 100k mark on this game but instead, I shat the bed!....still having fun with it, and I'm interested to see what the other levels look like but to max score, I'm all about making it as far as I can in one game from the beginning...not that I have any illusions of taking the top spot, because I'm just dying in the dumbest of spots!

AND SO:

My rants about this great game:

1. Why is it that when you're going up inclines (like in the first level), and shooting along the incline, the bullets that fly outta your gun don't line up with the barrel?....the bullets align with the angle (which is good or else you'd never hit anything!) but every time I see that misalignment, I cringe a little. Yes, I need help :)

2. Why can't you jump in the overhead view levels? Why, I say? Just a sluggish kinds guy, going around, killing stuff.

3. What's with the spread gun? Are we to believe this thing fires in three dimensions? Kinda like the ripple gun from Lifeforce?...and why is the range limited in the overhead view stages? Yes, I know why...but why, I still ask, why? WHY

4. The music sounds 'sampled' at times; kinda makes me feel like I'm in a Marky Mark video ...yep, I'm old. More lame than old, but it's funny how now, 20 years later, I can now recognize the things that made the 90s the 90s!...those sampled sounds are totally 90s. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, you hear em almost immediately upon starting the game...they're like percussive string-sounding 'epic' sounds in the music. Lol.

That's it for now, totally fun lil game. The one thing I really didn't like about Contra was those lame Base levels, so I'd rather do the overhead stuff in Super C. Good times.

This game is all about patience: maybe a little too much! I finally made it to Area 8, and I'm sure it's almost over...I managed to put up a new high score:

I used up all my continues, but the challenge in this game is tricky. Sometimes I think it's tough, but others I'm comparing it to the first one (which I haven't beaten legit yet). I just think the bosses are a lot less challenging in this one...the patterns are a lot easier to figure out.

Maybe I can bash up another high score but I don't think I'll be able to stomach it...I've died some pretty stupid deaths, and lots are due to stupid moves (jumping into bullets, really?) but others, the rubber pads are beginning to wear out on my sticks. Time to go online and replace the guts, but I find it's hit and miss to find good quality ones. Original NES pads have a certain feel, and when they're new, there's nothing better! But I find the feel of these newer, cheaper sticks isn't right at all.

I guess there's only one more day for Super C...good luck!

:lol:

I don't think you're supposed to continue.

PS, one thing to remember (I probably stated it above)--Spread Shot is king. Period.

Lol, my scores are all from first level-onward games (my latest high, I think I maybe made it to Area 5, i think?)...scores aren't cumulative through continues, and I'm not sure if there's any benefit to starting from a higher level...probably not, as you'd miss out on all the extra points from the earlier levels.

Nothing feels worse than dying mere seconds after picking up an R after an S!...I like Rapid with the Machine Gun too....and the F gun. The laser is as much a dud as ever, but I ended up using it to great effect in level 7!....surprised me!

Edited by atarilovesyou

I've worked the past 7 days...12 hour shifts. Tomorrow finally off to try to get a respectable score. In the interest of fairness if you want to get first you should post a higher score Austin.

Last night I got to the final boss then got stuck between his legs with the regular gun and couldn't hit the boss or jump out. I eventually managed to kill myself on my last man.

got to 217,510

I've worked the past 7 days...12 hour shifts. Tomorrow finally off to try to get a respectable score. In the interest of fairness if you want to get first you should post a higher score Austin.

Last night I got to the final boss then got stuck between his legs with the regular gun and couldn't hit the boss or jump out. I eventually managed to kill myself on my last man.

got to 217,510

Respectable score, lol, you're 50 points away from top spot! I'm going to give it one last shot today but Area 4 drives me crazy. That sounds cheap that you can't take out the final boss with your regular gun...or was it just bad luck where you got stuck?

I somehow got stuck between the legs and couldn't jump out. I couldn't angle my shots at the bosses face...apparantly if you have the spread gun and get stuck there you can take the boss out and its almost impossible to get killed.

I somehow got lucky and got hit by something. If I had to reset it I'm not sure if it would have told me my high score.