IGNORED

Mode 15 PAL Blending?

Just for fun, here is an animation of popmilo's graphics mode on Altirra:

Wow :D

Nice work man!

I know it's "just" a movie but .... Ughhh.... Looks great!

Stuff like this is what motivates people to work more :)

The Youtube video is somewhat distorted. Emulator executable here. Github repo here.

Nice thing you got going on there with perl-asm combo !

Thanks for sharing code!

Was wondering about how many cycles it would 'waste' a scrolling of this...

No need to redraw whole screen each frame...

With simple wrapping (or even better MWP scrolling) we only need to draw stuff at the edge of screen (1 column and-or 1 row of bytes).

P.s.- Popmilo how are you doing the PFs changing 'LDA/STA' each scanline?

In my demo it's just a simple loop with lda-sta and wsync...

Much better is version with interrupts.. I'll work on that this week...

Awesome stuff ... not sure how well it'd work in a game, but if you used PMG's and softsprites, you could do a nice R-Type or SideArms type game ... maybe something like Zybex would work in this mode.

Also, idea for a name for this graphics mode: XL-PAC ... because it uses the 16 color blending in XL PAINT (which scrolls PF registers every scanline), but in a method similar to APAC.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Awesome stuff ... not sure how well it'd work in a game, but if you used PMG's and softsprites, you could do a nice R-Type or SideArms type game ... maybe something like Zybex would work in this mode.

PMGs can help for main character, bullets, status info etc...

I'm thinking now more about something slower and simpler to code, which would benefit much more from lots of colors... Hold your fingers crossed and maybe it can be done before a year passes ;)

Also, idea for a name for this graphics mode: XL-PAC ... because it uses the 16 color blending in XL PAINT (which scrolls PF registers every scanline), but in a method similar to APAC.

Didn't think it is a 'mode' and that it needs a name ;)

I thought someone else must have tried it before....

I'll focus on speed of it, and try to make something more dynamic...

ps. This will finally force me to fix my 'real hardware' setup and make it permanent focus point for testing code as it should be ;)

Surely this mode is going to rely on a well-chosen palette which compromises to achieve the best-fit general purpose effect. I kind of liked the "old" green, since it seemed to serve well as a yellow when the luminosity was high enough.

Yes, previous one was not bad at all... Like you said - bright, saturated yellow color...

I just wanted to see how good the green can be on that Last Ninja grass :)

Yes, previous one was not bad at all... Like you said - bright, saturated yellow color...

I just wanted to see how good the green can be on that Last Ninja grass :)

This large LN pictures get me the idea of a beat'em'up like Bankok Knights with large guys but for a static image.

Taking some static pictures from LN like these ones a build a box/weapons game could also work.

Edited by José Pereira

This is what I assumed - however, I've seen no mention of this particular mode elsewhere.

I found this (Based on info that Synthpopalooza mentioned):

It has this kind of 4x4 mixed colors mode in first part of demo but later in demo they focused on mixing two frames of (offset by 1 pixel verticaly) these to get better vertical resolution...

Unfortunately, with lots of flicker ...

http://atari.fandal....p?files_id=6627

xl-paint_max_preview.png

Things get weird ;)

People always smile over the Gr. 7 solution, this mode uses the 160x96 resolution.

You should keep in mind that a stock A8 never can handle such game with "16" colours in the single scanline mode.... in this fluent animations speed.

It's very nice to see the "realtime" Video using this mode though.

Possibly a charset mode with defined pattern and charmovement could do useful speeds.

Quite the contrary in my case: I always thought a bit-planed 160x96 mode with 16 colours would have been damned useful. The solution described here is the nearest thing to it.

I think a couple or two of medium sized sprites and maybe multiple smaller sprites could be done in this mode in 25fps without much hasle...

I'll try to convert my PoP bitmap sprite routine to work in this mode over weekend and see how it looks...

Now just to find some nice background and sprite graphics for testing :)

I like 1:1 version...

"Squeezed" version looks ... well, squeezed.

Don't know if ninja game with such a large sprites is possible, but I would love to see those two guys fighting :)

I wasn't expecting this mode to work at all on my NTSC 800XL but this is what I see via my "scan converter", which is my normal method of using my Atari.

post-9154-0-62662800-1349390543_thumb.jpg

My camera isn't perfect. Hues actually are shifted more toward yellow than I see and saturation is a bit stronger here, as well.

Is this what one would expect to see?

Sorry, I'm pretty naive about the various fabricated graphics modes.

-SteveS

• Like 1

The scan convertors have the benefit of blending fields, so we get no flicker on the interlaced modes. It has the side effect of only a 30Hz display refresh. But I have found that the "PAL blending" modes also work well for me.

I think they work well on NTSC if you don't look too closely. Also, it is possible to jitter the display by changing one of the "skip 8 scan lines" instructions to "skip 7" and back every VBLANK, though that might eat up some processor time.

Anybody have the source .ASM code to displaying in this mode? I want to do some experimenting.

There was also another 160x192 interlace using Graphics 15, called Interpainter. The difference is, no color palette changes are done on the scanline. This method allowed for 9 colors onscreen at once.

a lot of polish demos used that mode in the 90s... best example is Overmind by Slight

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3633

I think they work well on NTSC if you don't look too closely. Also, it is possible to jitter the display by changing one of the "skip 8 scan lines" instructions to "skip 7" and back every VBLANK, though that might eat up some processor time.

It wouldn't be cpu intensive :)

Could be an option in main game menu "Flicker: On or Off" :)

Anybody have the source .ASM code to displaying in this mode? I want to do some experimenting.

Here... Should work... (with MADS assembler).

mixgraphicmodes.zip

This might be our best hope for playing colour videos from a hard disk? Decent resolution and a reasonable amount of colours.

phaeron made an awesome demo of playing a movie from an IDE device here. It uses 4x1 pixels without flicker but it could be adapted to do 2x1 pixels without flicker. As a bonus, it uses pulse-width-modulation to achieve ~7-bit digital sound at 15kHz. Unfortunately, I think you'd have to halve the screen size or frame rate or resolution to do a flicker mode.