IGNORED

GoSub (Odyssey^2 WIP)

Hi, I'm back at work on Odyssey2 programming. This time it's a port of my 2600 game GoSub. Right now there's a title screen and one maze if you press fire at the title screen. You can move and there's wall collision detection, but nothing happens if you get the treasure chest. I'd like a really good sprite artist to design a better 1-color 8x8 treasure chest for me, as this is just a cube. The binary attached is for O2EM, not for a 2600 emulator. Anyway, keep in mind that this is a very early version, but feedback is very much appreciated.

AGOSUB.BIN

NEW LEVEL!

Yes, if you complete level 1 (get the chest), level 2 will pop up. (Nothing will happen after you beat level 2, though, so don't expect a third level quite yet.) Also, I would like help for level designs. Anyone have any?

AGOSUB5.BIN

Edited by atari2600land

Well, it took a couple hours, but I finally did this. Level 6 is the level that introduces what I call "warping." When you get to the edge of the screen, you automatically appear on the other side. I think everything is OK, but it may take a while before I can introduce a new level (sit in this chair for hours on programming) since everything is so dependent on where everything else is since that stupid page crap is here.

AGOSUB10.BIN

post-9475-0-57567900-1337000945_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a lot of work, and added a lives system. This number in red tells you how many attempts you have made at clearing the maze. You have three tries for each maze, so if the red number gets past 2, the game ends and goes back to the title screen. The white number tells you what level you're on. There's also now 8 levels, and the game now uses both banks (banks in Odyssey2 are apparently 1k.)

AGOSUB17.BIN

There! The octopus has now been added after three days of trying to figure out what was wrong with my code. Like before, I'm not really all that good at drawing sprites, so if anyone else wants to take a stab at designing an 8x8 octopus, feel free.

AGOSUB23.BIN

post-9475-0-64880400-1338308349_thumb.png

Edited by atari2600land

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I think I'll stop the number of levels to 20 because I don't think I can do 30, and besides, I think the game is long enough, and I'm tired of thinking up new mazes. Anyone disagree? Oh, and I'm deciding not to release the final ROM, so if you want to playtest it, PM me and we'll see what we can work out. Hopefully you won't get super bummed if you see the ending before it's released.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...