IGNORED

1050 RESET mod

After many years I finally modded my main 1050 to let it run on an "AT" power supply. I mounted 2 PC-style 4-pin molex connectors in the back of the case so I can daisy-chain the power to other 1050's (not modded yet). When at it I also redid all the ugly wiring (Speedy switches, write protect, etc) and removed the external speed potmeter since I don't use it anymore these days.

Seems to work as it should on both AC and DC but when DC powered the on/off switch doesn't work anymore (which is as expected). The only time I need to power it off is when programming the Speedy to disable itself. After that, the only way to re-enable it (reset) is to power off/on.

Once I had a doc to add a RESET button to the Atari 1050 but can't find it anymore. The button was meant for stock 1050's and I don't know if it also works on Speedy upgraded 1050's.

Anyone have this doc? Or maybe other ways to do a RESET with a button?

So you made the switch tie the /RST line directly to ground?

Only when the button is pushed of course. Wanted to add a resistor but even going as low as 180 Ohm didn't activate it so now it's directly tied to ground.

Here is the one that I remembered. It was from a user group newsletter, not MAM.

I've done the drive select portion, but never tried the Reset. (.TXT and .DOC formats included.)

Thanx for the doc. I think this is the one I actually mentioned in the 1st post.

Now that I reread it I think using the 555 isn't necessary (or won't do) for a Speedy drive. A stock 1050 has a 6507 which is replaced by a 6502 when installing a Speedy upgrade. Both CPU's are software compatible but maybe there are slight differences in things like /RST. Don't know, just a guess.

Drive select... I put a switch on the front to replace one of the PCB switches to be able to switch between D1: and D2: , or (D3: D4:, depending on the position of the other switch). This will be replaced by a BCD-like rotary switch to be able to select all numbers. This may introduce some issues with the power-LED as I exchanged it for a bi-color one that lights up Green or Red when selecting D1: or D2: :-)

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the 5 year Necropost, but I just did the 555 reset mod to my Happy 1050 and it works great! Very nice for getting the drive out of a stooper after reading bad disks, or undoing custom uploaded code..,. or in this drive's particular case, switchable between Happy and Stock 1050 OS ROM's which i can now do without powering off by holding the reset down while switching.

Same mod shown on Steve Carden's site: http://www.realdos.net/Drive%20Reset.html

post-53052-0-28227000-1510732109_thumb.jpg

post-53052-0-98288100-1510732121_thumb.jpg

Button on side of drive, as I reused a hole that was already there from a prior mod that I tucked away inside...

• Like 4