IGNORED

Muncher - New 2600 Homebrew

Wickeycolumbus

Hey guys, I posted this in the homebrew section a while ago, but I thought I'd post here too to get some more feedback (you can view the original thread here). Muncher is a 2600 game that I've been working on on and off over the past year or so. Basically, you play as a square that has to collect all the "food" on screen while avoiding being caught by aliens. Getting food adds to your score, though if you stay away from the food for too long, you loose some points. You can hold the joystick button to move faster for a limited amount of time, and eating food will refill your power to move faster. The current game modes are:

Game 1 - one enemy bouncing off the walls

Game 2 - one "smart" enemy

Game 3 - two enemies bouncing off the walls

Game 4 - one "smart" enemy, one bouncing off the walls

Games 5-8 are the same as 1-4, though you only have one life rather than the 3 you have in the previous ones, with no bonus lives every 4 boards you clear.

The game is nearing completion, and I am looking for suggestions on how to improve it before I call it finished. If you have any suggestions at all, I'd love to hear them!

Here are some things that I am thinking about doing:

* Fix kernel issues (mid line graphics glitches, top and bottom row heights of the 'board')

* Different, possibly animated alien graphics

* Have aliens start slower, then increase in speed over time

* A main mode that combines the features of the other various modes

And of course, here is the current ROM for you all to try out :)

Muncher.bin

• Like 4

I think it would be good to add a way to get more lives at a certain score, if there is already a way, I didn't find it. And maybe some type of easter egg for people to find.

There actually is already, in games 1-4 you get an extra life every 4 boards you clear. Maybe I should make this happen sooner? I'll be thinking about an easter egg... this was originally going to be a 2K game, but since I've gone up to 4K, there is plenty of room to put one in :)

It's already hard enough to get 10k, that should be the an extra life. Or maybe 15k so that it isn't too easy. Level 4 is just insane

It's sort of hard to make the extra lives occur at point marks, since you can loose points. The 4th board is at around 5000 points, as long as you don't loose too many points along the way. Maybe I should make it every 3 boards? Or 2?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an updated ROM. There is now only one game mode that has several 'waves', each having different enemy/playfield configurations. After every 4 boards you clear, you get an additional life and move on to the next wave. The spoiler box below describes all the waves:

Wave 1: Same as old Game 1

Wave 2: Wide enemy

Wave 3: Smart enemy

Wave 4: two normal enemies

Wave 5: one normal enemy, board flashes.

Wave 6: same as wave 5 but with two normal enemies

Wave 7: board doesn't flash, two wide enemies

Wave 8: board flashes, two wide enemies

You can choose which wave you want to start on using the select switch before starting a game. This is mostly for play testing/debugging purposes and will most probably be removed from the final game. Any suggestions are very welcome :)

MuncherAlt.bin

Fun game and not easy. In any case, whenever I lose my last life, the game takes several seconds before it responds to the fire button to restart. I don't know if this is intentional or if it is an issue with emulation. I'm using the latest version of Stella. I like being able to speed up for a limited time with the fire button as well.

Fun game and not easy. In any case, whenever I lose my last life, the game takes several seconds before it responds to the fire button to restart. I don't know if this is intentional or if it is an issue with emulation. I'm using the latest version of Stella. I like being able to speed up for a limited time with the fire button as well.

Thanks :) Yes, the delay is intentional. It was put in place so you don't accidentally start a new game before you see your final score.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see it down to 2k again. I do have a suggestion, though: After you die, the face picks a certain location to start out of again. But if you die again before the face gets to the other side of the screen, it's the same location and diagonal direction. Perhaps this could be changed to make it more random?

Glad to see it down to 2k again. I do have a suggestion, though: After you die, the face picks a certain location to start out of again. But if you die again before the face gets to the other side of the screen, it's the same location and diagonal direction. Perhaps this could be changed to make it more random?

As it stands, the enemy(s) should have the same starting location and direction every time the game starts. More random in location or direction? Both? It would definitely make the game harder, though it seems that many people think it's hard enough. Implementing a "random" number generator would also take up a good deal of ROM (which I don't currently have if I stick with 2K).

Also another thing I noticed, if you die on wave 2, it begins a new game on wave 2. shouldn't it begin a new game at the beginning, wave 1?

Yeah, that definitely isn't intentional, thanks for catching that. The attached ROM is fixed.

MuncherAlt.bin

Why so important for it to be 2k? Just curious.

Because I like the fact that if given enough talent, even now, people can really make really good games if given just 2k to work with.

And at this point, I was only around 60 bytes over 2K, so I thought I may as well try to trim it down some rather than waste the rest of the space.