IGNORED

Atari XE system/games?

Lincoln

So I spotted one of these in a pawn shop today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_XEGS

and there were a bunch of loose games in a nearby bin. Can anyone point to me some resources concerning rarity/value of these games? Am I in the right place for this? I'm having a hard time nailing down what I should even be searching for.

I'm pretty sure I can pick them up for tradebait for not much if there is anything notable in there. I can only remember two off the top of my head, Food Fight and Diamond Mine. The carts look like this one: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2510555992711?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=251055599271&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I had much more difficulty finding Choplifter

seen karateka often spend more on ebay

just pay the price, but it is findable

Choplifter, it's not a question of price, let them find

it's just my opinion

I speak of course of that blue box version

I say buy it and hook that thing up. You can always decide to trade it later if you don't get into it.

digitpress.com also has a rarity guide that includes Atari XE. Although not as complete at atarimania, it can be nice to have a second opinion. This guide has many other classic systems as well (though some seem better researched than others).

thanks for the replies. I think i'll go back later this week and see what I can dig out of the pile.

what's a fair price for the console?

are there important variations of the games to watch for? (something about a blue box version?)

are there important variations of the games to watch for? (something about a blue box version?)

There are over 200 cartridge-based titles for this sytem, and that's just the games, and just the cartridges. It's pretty tricky to give you a concise list of what to look out for, but easy enough to say whether a particular title is a $5 game or a $100 game.

The "blue box" games that were mentioned are cartridge games that were released (or re-released) specifically for the XEGS. Many of them were already available for (and compatible with) previous generations of Atari 8-bit computers. "Choplifter" (discussed above) was released on cart by Broderbund, but the blue box re-release by Atari is significantly harder to find (and also has slightly improved graphics). Of the blue box games, the four that Rhod mentioned are the hardest to find (although not necessarily in the order that he gave ;-)).

I had 3 blue box carts brand new and sealed, no interest was shown

That's probably because they were common titles readily available from other sellers on ebay, etc.

Now if you had Karateka, Summer Games, Choplifter!, etc etc sealed, that would have generated interest.