I recently got an atari 2600 Jr console from eBay the Console is in great conditions and the switches and all of the other parts of the console work flawlessly but when i put in the game spider fighter when the game boot sup and comes on the screen where you would see the copyright date and the publisher/developer (in this case Activision) the letters in Copyright are not being displayed correctly. as you can see from the pictures below.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the same problem and if It is the console or one of the switches or a RIOT chip problem. But like I said all of the other games work just fine like they do on all of the other 2600 consoles that I own except spider fighter. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

post-28499-0-09316900-1336510690_thumb.jpg

post-28499-0-34257500-1336510694_thumb.jpg

post-28499-0-34986700-1336510698_thumb.jpg

There have been disscusions about later made ataris not handeling timing correctly, particularly late model jrs with the three chips packed into a single chip. Not much that can be done if thats the case.

Incidently if it is one of those "atari in a chip" models, then its a great collecters find. Look through the posts about jr incompatabilities to tell what you got without opening it.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161431-a-unique-2600jr/

• 10 years later...
On 5/9/2012 at 7:03 AM, gohmc said:

I recently got an atari 2600 Jr console from eBay the Console is in great conditions and the switches and all of the other parts of the console work flawlessly but when i put in the game spider fighter when the game boot sup and comes on the screen where you would see the copyright date and the publisher/developer (in this case Activision) the letters in Copyright are not being displayed correctly. as you can see from the pictures below.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the same problem and if It is the console or one of the switches or a RIOT chip problem. But like I said all of the other games work just fine like they do on all of the other 2600 consoles that I own except spider fighter. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

post-28499-0-09316900-1336510690_thumb.jpg

post-28499-0-34257500-1336510694_thumb.jpg

post-28499-0-34986700-1336510698_thumb.jpg

Firstly, Sorry to dig out a old thread since I'm also experiencing this issue too. It seems more likely to be a faulty TIA chip. I got this same issue with my PAL 2600 Junior that I RGB Modded. As you said with Spider Fighter I'm experiencing those same glitches on mine. I've also pasted the screenshots as well on my end.
I already swapped the RIOT chip and the cartridge slot on my PAL 2600 Junior motherboard. Turns out none of that was the fault. I can phase those two out. I'll have to order a spare TIA and to be on the safe a replacement CPU as well in case the CPU could also be the culprit for it.

Seeing yours is also a PAL version. When looking for another spare TIA chip online, look for the part that says either C011903 or UM6526P1 on the IC chip. When you do get it. you MUST make sure you do have good soldering skills as this is FULLY required to do the task. If you do not have good or any soldering skills. Best to get someone else to do it for you that does have the solder skills  to do the task if you don't know how to perform the soldering and de-soldering task yourself.

When I order a replacement TIA, I'll update the results.
Cheers,
Josh

20220609_155055.jpg

20220609_155149.jpg

Bugga I can't edit my last reply. After searching more on the issue.. Turns out it's a console glitch even on a unmodded 2600 PAL Jr too based on the thread link below.
Hope this now helps clearly.

Cheers,
Josh

Edited by SavyIsJoshoArts