IGNORED

Tour of the AVGN Gameroom

Impressive, and to think that a pile of that was given to him by fans. I want to get paid to play games people gave me and bitch about them.

I used to like his videos well enough, but I saw him just speaking on the AVGN character and it just seemed like he was doing the game thing because it took off, not really bacause he is a classic gamer. Who can say for sure, but I hope he has the massive room of awesome insured.

Every time he uses his Commodore 64 I want to scream

TYPE RUN...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST TYPE RUN

It saddens me that he shits on that wonderful machine whenever he mentions it

I can't watch him. Half his schtick is playing/being dumb and it's just annoying.

It seems pretty big to me, but in comparison to what I got pretty much any collection is big.

Personally I don't really like his act that much, which is a shame because I've seen a few of his videos where his character is toned down and he is really knowledgeable and passionate about the hobby.

Swlovist and Trade-N-Games have fine collections. Even trying to get rid of all the "s*itty games that s*ck *ss" to quote the nerds theme song, I'd say I've got around 4 - 6 times as many as he does, maybe more.

Haha, I think your massive 4-to-6-times-as-many-as-the-AVGN-sized library may have elevated your standards compared to the norm. I, for one, have no reservations calling that room-filling collection "big". While he has slim numbers of games for many of his consoles (apart from his heaps of NES and SNES carts), it's still an interesting spread of stuff that touches on a lot.

Swlovist and Trade-N-Games have fine collections. Even trying to get rid of all the "s*itty games that s*ck *ss" to quote the nerds theme song, I'd say I've got around 4 - 6 times as many as he does, maybe more.

Haha, I think your massive 4-to-6-times-as-many-as-the-AVGN-sized library may have elevated your standards compared to the norm. I, for one, have no reservations calling that room-filling collection "big". While he has slim numbers of games for many of his consoles (apart from his heaps of NES and SNES carts), it's still an interesting spread of stuff that touches on a lot.

I think it was two rooms, wasn't it? Also, I wonder why kind of security he must have on his place. He must be known around the neighbourhood, so it must be an easy target for thieves. I also wonder what his insurance policy is like.

I really like AVGN and have been a fan since his first videos on youtube. He's definitely not what I would consider a retrogamer, he's just a kid who grew up with an NES and turned that love of the system into source material for his film ventures. I can understand why some wouldn't like his stuff, and to be honest I prefer the older ones. No surprise there!...I'm even retro with retro stuff. He's currently making a film, and I've only recently found out there's a bit of controversy with some about how he went about financing it. For me though, he's just an entertaining guy who, IMO, started the entire 'mockumentary video game review', for better or worse.

I think that Pat the NES Punk would be considered a lot more of a classic gamer than AVGN...but then his audience is a little more niche anyway. And don't me started about the Irate Gamer...that hack just angers me.

Oh yeah, and Motherf#cker Mike is pretty annoying. I thought some of the early stuff in Board James was good but he just annoys now. He's riding coattails at this point, because he comes across as not much more than a movie snob who swears a lot. James comes across as genuinely likeable when out of character but Mike Matei just seems like a dink...lol. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong? It's not like I know em personally, and maybe in real life it's the other way around? I do thank them for all the free entertainment...perhaps I'll buy a plush Shit Pickle to support em, lol.

Edited by atarilovesyou

I wouldn’t be surprised if, over the last 5 years or so, playing games has become just as much of a “job” for James as it is something he considers a fun hobby, but it’s easy to see how that would happen to somebody who spends so much time producing his type of product. That shit is time consuming, and I have to imagine it would burn you out on the subject matter eventually.

Still, I don’t know how anybody could say that a full grown man with a basement packed wall to wall with video games that are 10-40 years old is not a “retro gamer”—regardless of how much of that stuff was donated to him by fans or whatever.

He’s clearly not the most knowledgeable on gaming history and technical matters, but some people just like to play games and could not care less about garnering encyclopedic knowledge on such things. I enjoy his videos not because they are paragons of air-tight, fact-checked journalism; but because they provide casual glimpses of old games just for the sake of casual glimpses of old games.

As for the Irate Gamer, I actually stumbled upon his work before AVGN, and I liked him enough at first. I mean, even if his jokes and gags are monumentally unfunny, at least he has some production value. But over time he lost me with his English hackery—he really needs a script editor to help curb his apparent fondness for malapropism and catachresis. I remember one video where he used the word “predecessor” when he obviously meant “successor”. In another one, he was flashing some text on the screen, and one of the words was supposed to be “principle” (as in “concept”), but he spelled it “princible”. Terrible! For me, that kind of hackery completely pulls me out of the experience and neuters the impact of the work.

He has more than I do, but more than that he has more space to display than I do. I've been an active collector for less then two years now though, and I don't get paid to have all those things in the way he does.

If you think the AVGN stuff is bad I dare you to watch some of his other stuff. It's bad.