IGNORED

Kickstarter for Carmageddon Reincarnation

• 2 weeks later...

They've actually got a fairly decent collectors package going for people that back them with $150. One gets a limited edition poster, the "Cardmageddon" card game, a couple of collectible car models and the game on DVD along with the 4 copies distributed via steam. Well the game on DVD comes if you select it. Otherwise one could get a limited edition t-shirt or some bumper stickers. Think I'd rather have a hard copy of the game than a t-shirt or bumper stickers. Not sure exactly what the card game is other than it looks like this:

Cards-Cut-Out-2-Small.jpg

I loved playing the first two installments of Carmageddon; it was especially nice with the 3dFX Glide drivers. :) I still have the CDs sitting around too. However, Carmageddon 3 TDR was bad, bad, bad. Perhaps my first true launch day gutterball with the PC.

I'm a little leery of the kickstarter thing though. In our IP - loopy world I wouldn't want this to magically turn into Gorf for the Jaguar...

Hex.

[ Has an awful headache... Anyone else want one too? ]

In this particular case the IP part of it wouldn't worry me since these guys bought back the rights to it and were the original creators of the first two games in the series. They didn't put out the third one. Kickstarter kind of bothers me in general because you're essentially investing in something without getting a return on your investment unless you only give them enough for one product that you may or may not see. I trust Stainless to deliver this game since they've got a track record.

The one good thing is Kickstarter won't take your pledge money unless the project hit's it's pledge goal.

Oh and after looking at Stainless' website it looks like they actually did several of the Atari games on XBLA on contract. Not sure if that's good or bad. :lol:

http://www.stainlessgames.com/games/go/

Carmageddon 3(TDR) was bad since it had mandatory missions. Even the game designers knew the races often went awry, and the game kind of suffered. As long as you hit peds, you wouldn't time out. Often you would just wander around and kill peds. Your opponents would get so damaged they wouldn't drive around, after about 1 minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of days left for this. They've already hit their first goal, and are nearing the stretch goal to be sure that Mac and Unix ports are made (I'm hoping they make it, since I'm on a Mac).

They just posted some early WIP footage of the new game. This is very preliminary stuff, so don't be put off by the unfinished appearance of it. Also, it alternates with footage from the original Carmageddon, so don't be put off by that, either. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwfGqwJlGo

Edited by Nathan Strum