IGNORED

Season 9 Round 5 - Balloon Fight

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 5 of the 9th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

The first 9 games have been pre-selected and entered into a random list generator. So you guys know the games, but not the order.

Let's try 1-week rounds this season.

This round ends on Friday, May 18th.

Title: Balloon Fight

Developer: Nintendo

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: June, 1986 (US)

http://youtu.be/4JMY2dMnK_E

Rules:

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1(t). Austin 27

1(t). peculiarsatyr 27

3. asponge 14

4. atarilovesyou 8

5(t). roadrunner 4

5(t). jblenkle 4

7. theKLT 2

8(t). Jibbajaba 1

8(t). cparsley 1

8(t). mihcael 1

8(t). LarcenTyler 1

I'm imaginin I can do well at this game. Even if the first time I played it was a week or two ago when I picked it up at the local exhange for 1 dollar then brought it home and destroyed my wife at it.

Was that a run on sentance?

This ain't the grammer thread, lol!...your wife is hilarious, letting you play Super C to the tune of 2 million and STILL letting you kick ass at Balloon Fight. I'm warning you all on this one, though...I'm in dire need of a first to get me back in the running! I'll need luck though...any rolling power outages in your local areas, guys?...guys?

:grin:

Austin, my friend: PowerPak!!! :) ....pricey, yes, but man is it awesome.

Yeah, I'd like to eventually invest in one of those, especially if I ever decide to part with my current NES collection (or downsize, I should say). I do have a Super EverDrive, as well as a Genesis EverDrive, so I know how awesome flash carts can be! Right now I am trying to get as large of a NES collection as I can (up to about 250 carts right now), so this was like "marking one off the list", as well as getting it for the HSC. :)

Austin, my friend: PowerPak!!! :) ....pricey, yes, but man is it awesome.

Yeah, I'd like to eventually invest in one of those, especially if I ever decide to part with my current NES collection (or downsize, I should say). I do have a Super EverDrive, as well as a Genesis EverDrive, so I know how awesome flash carts can be! Right now I am trying to get as large of a NES collection as I can (up to about 250 carts right now), so this was like "marking one off the list", as well as getting it for the HSC. :)

The only thing I've found after buying my multicarts for my systems, I haven't really bought any new carts! And I tend to use the multicarts instead of the real carts, due to laziness! What it'll force me to do with my NES collection is to downsize to only those games which I really like, or have some kinda history with. The rest, I can handle playing ROMs. It took such a long time to get em', though...I'm kinda glad I didn't go crazy on 2600 or Coleco games! But with those systems, there's games that I just gotta have on cart, just because...lol. Good ol' nostalgia.

Playing on the hardware is where it's at for me...I can't ever see me doing the full emulator thing. I'm the kinda guy who eschews those new 72 pin connectors cause they don't require you to push down on the carts to make em work (toaster NES)...that pushing down is half the fun! LOL, yes I'm crazy.

I highly recommend the Powerpak. It's a bit pricey, unfortunately...but I found it totally worth it. Helps me with cart purchases as well, which is a bonus. Now I can try em' all before buying.

Ok, back to Balloon Fight: man, I can already see myself getting tired of this one quickly, if only because they just don't award free men (as far as I can tell!). So here's my top score:

001-2.jpg

I can't remember what level (or 'phase', as this hip 1984 era game calls em) I got to, but if you're retro-arcade-gaming-mutants I'm sure you'll find a way to destroy this score!...lol.

Out of a bit of frustration with the vanilla game, I tried the fun (but punishing!) "Balloon Trip" mode C game.

Call it a side bet, with the only wager being...the KING of BALOONS 2012? :thumbsup:

Beat this and EARN MY RESPECT (you know you want it) :-D :

002-1.jpg

Call it a side bet, with the only wager being...the KING of BALOONS 2012? :thumbsup:

Beat this and EARN MY RESPECT (you know you want it) :-D :

IT'S ON!!!

:D

In order to not make grown men cry, I won't post the youtube video of the "shizz team" completely destroying the record on Balloon Trip, lol!...I wish I never watched; it's like watching a near-miss trainwreck every 30 seconds for 25 minutes :D ...it's a fun little game! I gotta work on my main game score, however...it's kinda like Duck Hunt: completely doable until you get to a certain point, and then it all goes horribly wrong in seconds!

I managed to get perfect bonus rounds for the first two; after that, I think ya gotta remember the patterns. The bonuses are totally worth it, though...just like in Galaga, you get a stupid amount of points for that 'perfect!'. My only tip is to take advantage of the screen wrap (left to right) as much as possible when planning how to take out the balloons. I've never gotten less than 18 that way.

My only tip is to take advantage of the screen wrap (left to right) as much as possible when planning how to take out the balloons. I've never gotten less than 18 that way.

I feel silly now that I didn't think of the screen wrap myself. I was trying to go back and forth across the screen. Duh. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time I play and see if I can improve my bonus.

Just watched the video, and, man.. this game looks like fun! I never thought much of it before, as I think I confused it with Sky Kid (meh). Already looking forward to getting my cart, haha! :)

This is the first time I've played this game as well. It's more or less Joust but slightly more forgiving because you can get hit twice before you go down. Even the physics feel similar. I wasn't too sure at first, but I like it.

My only tip is to take advantage of the screen wrap (left to right) as much as possible when planning how to take out the balloons. I've never gotten less than 18 that way.

I feel silly now that I didn't think of the screen wrap myself. I was trying to go back and forth across the screen. Duh. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time I play and see if I can improve my bonus.

I KNEW I'D FRIGGIN REGRET GIVING TIPS :grin: :grin: :grin: !!!!

...lol, maybe Austin's cart will get lost in the mail, too!...yeah, that's right, yeah!... :grin:

I joke, of course :) ...anybody try the Balloon Trip for laughs yet? I just might go try again right now....or maybe some :sleep: ....decisions, decisions.

...lol, maybe Austin's cart will get lost in the mail, too!...yeah, that's right, yeah!... :grin:

LOL! If it's not here on the night before the deadline, I will fire it up in an emulator. After watching the video, I don't think it will be difficult at all to pick up and get used to. I haven't seen any of the later stages though, and that player's score in the video is measly compared to what's been submitted here already!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_Q3wnF9g

Watch this one, after playing Balloon Trip...it'll either make you laugh or cry, depends!

Part of me wants to call shenanigans on this...if only because of SO many near-misses, yet the way he finally bites it is so simple compared to the other obstacles. Maybe he got bored? Maybe it wasn't a 'he'? :D

I realize that with emulation there's a lot of ways to cheat, but this is entertaining if nothing less!

Edited by atarilovesyou