IGNORED

Controller Port does not work after re solder

Norannyo

Hi everyone. I tried asking this question in the other thread, however my issue has some different symptoms.

I bought a Atari 7800 from the flea market, got an original power supply with it.. happy as a clam.

I have a 7800 controller as well, the odd one.

Issue: I plug in the controller to controller port 1, and nothing happens, I plug into controller port 2 and I have full control over player 2, but still nothing on port 1.

I plugged in a sega genesis controller as I read it works with the 7800. It does the same thing, does not work on port 1, does on port 2.

So I decided to try and open it up and look at the soldering points. I noticed the controller port itself moved ever so slightly when i pressed on it. Not much, but that was enough for me to think I should take a go at re soldering the pins. So i did, I suck at it, but i feel that the redo's were done with proper contact,, they are a little goopy, but they look like they should work.

so I plugged everything back up, and still the same issue persists..

I'm happy that this place exists, and I am hoping that if many of you are good enough to successfully mod your 7800 to have composite video/S-video as i've been reading, that perhaps you can work with me on this to see if I can resolve it, thanks.

side note, maybe I can take some pictures of my poor soldering job... but you guys know what the board already looks like I suppose.

oh 2 other things I will mention.. the game is question was Baseball, I assume it was simply Baseball for the 2600.. shows up fine.

Also, I was wondering if perhaps the pins on the controller port that the controller itself attaches to could be dirty? or grimy? perhaps that could be an issue?

I don't know, i'm just trying to think outside the box.

hmm, sadly I had to google what a multimeter was. I do not have one. I will see about getting one asap. Anything specific I need to look for in one? Come to think of it I have a retired Uncle who used to do repairs to Tv's and vcrs and such in the 80s and 90s when it was still normal to repair things, perhaps he has one still.

The original 2600 baseball game uses the right joystick port not the left one for one player games. The left joystick port is for the second player on that game.

Yeah I know it's weird. Pretty much any other game it's the other way around.

Mitch

interesting and kind of crazy all at the same time. What are the odds that baseball was the game I picked up for a buck at the flea market.

I still think there is a problem as I have Super Challenge football as well and it seems to be doing the same thing. Good to know about baseball though. Unless the football game is like the baseball game as well? hehe wow I hope so. That would potentially mean the port actually does work.

I wanted to make sure everything wokrs before i drop 10-15 bucks on a handful of classics.

quick update : i talked to my uncle, he said I should stop by with it, but to see if I can get a schematic or diagram so he can get a better understanding of how it works, as he would have a much better idea of what he's looking at then myself. Does anyone have any other ideas about what to try next? or what it could be?

Edited by Norannyo

Pay round trip shipping and I will remove the old solder and resolder the jack 100%

Send me a PM if you want to send it my way.

:thumbsup: Very cool, man.

Norannyo,

Yurkie is 100% reliable and dependable. He's a master with hardware. I purchased one of his fully refurbished and modded ColecoVisions - better than brand new - as have numerous people.

His reputation and resourcefulness is stellar.

Well I have good news, I just went down to a few thrift shops and managed to get Mouse Trap, Infiltrate, Pitfall, and Dig Dug.. and it all works now.. I'm more than confused to be honest. Do you think it was my resolding that did it? or was it always working because of the Baseball game thinking 2nd controller port is actually 1. it's odd, but I'm happy.

Although Can I ask about that Modded ColecoVision? was it like a composite video mod? I've been in the search for a ColecoVision for a while, and In the next little while if Yurkie is reliable as you mention, if the price is right I will probably just get one from you Yurkie..

Loving this forum guys.

Although Can I ask about that Modded ColecoVision? was it like a composite video mod? I've been in the search for a ColecoVision for a while, and In the next little while if Yurkie is reliable as you mention, if the price is right I will probably just get one from you Yurkie..

http://www.atariage....unday-may-13th/

EDIT - more details here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/user/23318-yurkie/

Edited by Trebor