IGNORED

Roller Controller = Arcade Stick!

boxpressed

I just got my first Roller Controller (from Yurkie) and had a chocolate + peanut butter experience: combine the Roller Controller with Yurkie's balltop-modded controllers.

The result is a decent arcade stick, kind of like a mini X-Arcade. Yurkie's balltop controller is awesome for games with infrequent use of the fire buttons. But they don't alleviate the hand cramping that comes from playing shooter-type games. This setup is perfect for those games that require you to pound away at the fire button(s): Cosmic Avenger, Omega Race (good with the trackball too), Frenzy, Galaxian.

I'm right handed, and I control the left controller with my thumb. Your left hand cups the upper-left corner of the Roller Controller case. Right hand for fire buttons. You have to take my word for it how well this works.

Yurkie should offer a Roller Controller + balltop controller combo special.

post-30018-0-34570600-1337101228_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That's pretty cool. I was just thinking, I know there seems to be non working roller controllers from time to time. Why not just replace the roller ball with an arcade joystick? Put the standard ColecoVision controllers into it like normal and you'll have your keypads. You would now have a great looking ColecoVision Arcade stick controller. Just a thought. ;)

Edited by pboland

Yurkie does an excellent job refurbishing any Colecovision product he touches.

I bought a refurb Roller Controller from Yurkie and recently purchased a CIB Roller Controller (doesn't appear to hardly have been used), I can say Yurkie's ball rolls smoother.

• 8 months later...

Bumping my own thread to say that this setup works great for Elevator Action, too, which I find hard to play with the standard controller. The layout of the buttons is great, as you can use either the two buttons on the slant (for button 1 and 2), or the two buttons on the bottom.

One question, though. I was really looking forward to playing Defender with this setup, but something odd happens -- both action buttons will trigger the smart bombs until they run out, then will fire normally. The game works as it should with the original controller.

• 7 years later...
18 hours ago, rietveld said:

I like the way the Wilco sticks look with the roller controller

IMG_20201211_2302204.jpg

I tried this, but I need to find a good way to keep the controllers from rocking around that doesn’t involve a screwing in and unscrewing screws into a holder strap. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:48 PM, doubledown said:

Seriously...how was this 8 year old thread found and replied to...internet search, or was the new reply'er really looking at ColecoVision posts 52 pages old?

When I joined AtatiAge back in 2010, I actually did read through ALL the old threads in the CV & ADAM Forum.

Another thing that needs to end around here is quoting long posts and just answering/replying to one particular sentence. Hit the QUOTE button, edit the quoted text by deleting stuff that doesn't need to be included and then enter your reply.

9 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Hit the QUOTE button, edit the quoted text by deleting stuff that doesn't need to be included and then enter your reply.

...like this...agreed! 

Also it would be nice that when quoting someone, if it wouldn't quote their pictures, but simply the text (other forum sites do this).  Especially when somebody posts 20+ pictures of something, then someone quotes them to ask a question (usually a stupid one), like "is this 10 year old thread item still for sale" (at the aforementioned 10 year old price), and we get to look at the all 20+ pictures again.  

• Thanks 1