IGNORED

SIO2SD Micro Order thread

santosp

• 2 weeks later...

It works fantastically. I rubbed it in a friend of mine's face. I also managed to connect my 130XE up to my 42" HDTV, and was amazed that Jumpman and a few of the other games I tried out didn't look half bad. My brother and I played Jumpman for a couple of hours, then went on to play a few other games!

The whole time I was thinking, this is way more awesome than 95% of the rubbish that comes out lately.

Thanks again, santosp!

By the way, for those that don't know about it, get the SIO2SD utilities installed on the card, makes using it a whole lot nicer, along with the NVC stuff. http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/English

I've now got my SIO2SD Micro device doing just about everything I want it to! Unfortunately, I never owned an A8 before May this year, so I didn't understand any version of Atari DOS. After some time only running the Homesoft games compilations, I've finally got various versions of DOS up and running! To do this, you get dropped at the BASIC Ready prompt, then type DOS. Unfortunately, it seems these are all third party DOS systems, though. On Sunday, December 23, I finally wrote some DOS files to a blank disk ATR file, then managed to write a short BASIC print loop to write my name all over the screen, then I managed to save it to disk with SAVE "D1:filename.BAS". I don't know if or how I can transfer any BASIC programs I saved to cassette onto this device, though. If I loaded a program, then unplugged the tape drive and plugged in the SIO2SD, then I think this would either damage the device or just not be recognised. Pressing RESET usually doesn't delete a BASIC program from RAM, but I think that the SIO2SD TURBO bootloader would delete the program. I don*t know how to install the SIO2SD internally. Unfortunately, the files come up in the order I saved them to the SD card, not in alphabetical order. I also still wonder what the ESC and SHIFT keys are for.

I don't know if or how I can transfer any BASIC programs I saved to cassette onto this device, though.

Until now I deal not with something like that. :( Maybe someone else who knows can help you....

If I loaded a program, then unplugged the tape drive and plugged in the SIO2SD, then I think this would either damage the device or just not be recognised.

You need a program recorder like 1010 with two SIO connectors as to connect the two devices between them. Probably you have the grey XE one who have only a cable for connection.

Very bad idea to plug or unplug the sio2sd device with your Atari power-on. :-o

......... but I think that the SIO2SD TURBO bootloader would delete the program. I also still wonder what the ESC and SHIFT keys are for.

If you not want the turbo loader to appear you must disable it from configuration menu. With Atari power on at any menu press 2 times the SHIFT key on sio2sd device. You see "cfg tool mode" message on screen. With the DRIVE key go to "topdrive mode" and press FILE key once to make it off. After press again the SHIFT key twice to exit from this menu. Now turbo loader is off, and every time you want to go on loader menu you must press and keep the SHIFT key during the power on of you computer. Of course with the fast loader off you will not see the initial screen with "SIO2SD TURBO [OPTION+] START or SELECT" message to appear. Also the programs will load much slower.

Now about what is the function of keys:

Drive: Next Atari drive. With Shift previous one.

File: Next Atari file. With Shift previous one.

Esc: Parent directory. With Shift moves virtual drives to main drive D1.

Enter: Place the folder or map file to current Atari drive. With Shift empty the drive (eject disk), and if you press twice turn off current drive and leave the Atari free to boot without the known BOOT ERROR message.

Edited by santosp

Thanks, this certainly explains me a lot! As you've guessed, I've got the XC12 data recorder. It looks like I'm going to be doing quite a bit of writing and typing to copy my programs from cassette to SD card! Obviously, Atari knew what they were doing when they put 2 SIO connectors on the 1010 data recorder. Jack Tramiel has got more to answer for than I thought! I wonder how much money per XC12 this saved him? I can only imagine how many Atari XE buyers this has frustrated in the past. I've got lots of short BASIC programs I typed in and saved, some from listings and others I made up myself. I was working on a game which is a few K long, so that's the one which will give me the most trouble. I could cut out some of the work by getting an Atari compatible printer. Perhaps I could use an SIO2PC cable to transfer these BASIC programs to a PC, but that would also involve disconnecting the XC12 and connecting an SIO2PC cable with the 65XE powered on, which may cause damage. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Edited by SIO99

Thanks, this certainly explains me a lot! As you've guessed, I've got the XC12 data recorder. It looks like I'm going to be doing quite a bit of writing and typing to copy my programs from cassette to SD card! Obviously, Atari knew what they were doing when they put 2 SIO connectors on the 1010 data recorder. Jack Tramiel has got more to answer for than I thought! I wonder how much money per XC12 this saved him? I can only imagine how many Atari XE buyers this has frustrated in the past. I've got lots of short BASIC programs I typed in and saved, some from listings and others I made up myself. I was working on a game which is a few K long, so that's the one which will give me the most trouble. I could cut out some of the work by getting an Atari compatible printer. Perhaps I could use an SIO2PC cable to transfer these BASIC programs to a PC, but that would also involve disconnecting the XC12 and connecting an SIO2PC cable with the 65XE powered on, which may cause damage. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

An alternative would be to make a custom cable with 3 or 4 SIO plugs which would allow connecting multiple single SIO port devices, this could be done by cutting 2 SIO cables in half and splicing the 4 ends together.