IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Controller Overlays

The foil backed is a cool idea, I like the way that looks. :) as for the Sears, they came in different boxes and were all red, there were 29 of them and they came with the standard Intellivision overlays. I'd really like to see them with overlays that matched the boxes. See the link for more info. I think this would make a really cool subset that hasn't been done before.

http://intvfunhouse.com/sears/

Got it. Thanks for the detail. I couldn't really tell from the pic, but now I kinda see it. Not sure which I like better, though. You should post a side by side ;-)

Keep in mind it is difficult to picture metallic/chrome/foil surfaces. Depending on the lighting the surface can look too dark or too light. For that reason I took multiple pictures. Here' you go (BTW, I think it looks better in person than it does in pictures). The overlay on the left is the standard white backed overlay, and the one on the right is the foil backed overlay:

post-9874-0-07279200-1351171368_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-21346300-1351171374_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-04377200-1351171380_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-05127700-1351171387_thumb.jpg

I hope that helps.

I thought we had this discussion:

:)

Seriously though, whats the cost difference in doing a set of White backed to a set of Foil backed?

Please keep in mind that the overlays I make are still a very hands on process. For that reason, I can not have these ready to go in an instant. I also have some logistics to figure out on the foil backed overlays. Again, remember that foil hockey overlay is just an experiment. So I still need to iron out a few things with the process of making them.

With that stated, the white backed overlays are $1.75 each. The foil back are looking to be about $3.00 each. That may change as I know material costs are changing all the time. I may be able to get that cost down a little depending on certain things.

Please keep in mind that the overlays I make are still a very hands on process. For that reason, I can not have these ready to go in an instant. I also have some logistics to figure out on the foil backed overlays. Again, remember that foil hockey overlay is just an experiment. So I still need to iron out a few things with the process of making them.

With that stated, the white backed overlays are $1.75 each. The foil back are looking to be about $3.00 each. That may change as I know material costs are changing all the time. I may be able to get that cost down a little depending on certain things.

Undoubtedly. I am glad to hear that you actively work on them, instead of projects being stated as 'In Progress', but no updates or anything in the interim (not to disparage to good products that come out after a long period of silence!) And really, that price isn't all that surprising. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't forgot about this project. I've been very busy making overlays for the ColecoVision homebrew area (Basically custom overlays for new games)

I've given a lot more thought about Intellivision overlays. A couple things:

1) I really do not want to step on the toes of Intellivision Productions Inc. They are very much active as a company and I highly doubt they would be okay with my reproductions.

2) Many Intellivision overlays are already very common and easily found. So reproductions seem like overkill.

For these two main reasons, I decided to focus more on the homebrew market and special collections.

So if you make homebrew games for the Intellivision, please PM me if you are interesting in having overlays for your homebrew. I do have quantity discounts.

After the new year I will be looking more into the Sears overlay collection (I like that possibility there), possibly a foil back Imagic collection, and maybe an orphan overlay collection. Just a point of clarification, any orphan overlay collection that I might do will be of my own designs. If you guys have any ideas on other special collections that you would like to see, please comment.

Thanks again for all the interest guys.

• Like 1

I haven't forgot about this project. I've been very busy making overlays for the ColecoVision homebrew area (Basically custom overlays for new games)

I've given a lot more thought about Intellivision overlays. A couple things:

1) I really do not want to step on the toes of Intellivision Productions Inc. They are very much active as a company and I highly doubt they would be okay with my reproductions.

2) Many Intellivision overlays are already very common and easily found. So reproductions seem like overkill.

For these two main reasons, I decided to focus more on the homebrew market and special collections.

So if you make homebrew games for the Intellivision, please PM me if you are interesting in having overlays for your homebrew. I do have quantity discounts.

After the new year I will be looking more into the Sears overlay collection (I like that possibility there), possibly a foil back Imagic collection, and maybe an orphan overlay collection. Just a point of clarification, any orphan overlay collection that I might do will be of my own designs. If you guys have any ideas on other special collections that you would like to see, please comment.

Thanks again for all the interest guys.

I absolutely understand your concerns regarding Intellivision Productions, and I agree. However, is there any chance of acquiring permission or a license from them? Who knows, maybe they would even like to collaborate--they are currently working on new releases.

dZ.

Your post is completely respectible. :) Will you do commission pieces?

pboland: Any thought to doing a set of cards like the awesome ones you did for the Colecovision?

Same deal with an Intellivision card set as the Intellivision overlays. Intellivision Productions is still very active and they would most likely feel the same way about trading cards as they would overlays.

It's just too bad that we have all of these talented people with lots of resources in the community and no means to really run with many of these ideas. Whether it be buttons, patches, collector cards, overlays, playing cards, tee-shirts, etc. There is realistically little to no money to be made with any of these, but the collector community would love to have many of these.

I still haven't even bought a intellivision but I have 6 games without overlays, and will likely have more. Why would intellivision the modern company care if you made overlays for old games?

BTW for me even $6 for a pair would be a awesome deal

Edited by bombidragon

It's just too bad that we have all of these talented people with lots of resources in the community and no means to really run with many of these ideas. Whether it be buttons, patches, collector cards, overlays, playing cards, tee-shirts, etc. There is realistically little to no money to be made with any of these, but the collector community would love to have many of these.

It's unfortunate, true, but you have to respect ownership and authorship, otherwise why would anybody go through the trouble in the first place.

dZ.

What's really frustrating is that there is all this rekindled interest, and yet the rights holder is content to just sell tshirts twice a year.

Interestingly Keith doesn't seem to own the rights either, he leases the rights from the actual owner.

But why would the latest Intellivision care if you made overlays, they don't make overlays,

It's not that they care or not about the overlays. It's that the brands and graphics are owned, registered, or trademarked by someone; and that someone has the exclusive right to use them.

-dZ.

I totally understand copyright and would never want a rights holder to be taken advantage of. That being said, I'm for harvesting the power of the little guy or the niche community. I used to buy a lot of CDs, but it got to the point where if you didn't sign with a major label, you didn't get discovered. Once you were signed, your CDs were sold for higher and higher prices. When they peaked around $18 for an average new release I pretty much quit buying. Then, the digital revolution took hold. MP3s got popular, the Internet became a huge player, music was easier and cheaper to duplicate and distribute, both legally and illegally. CD prices crashed. You can now get most new releases for around $10 and probably get some bonus content. And I'm pretty sure that the major record labels and Metallica are doing just fine. Not that the big labels and bands don't deserve their due, but the same force that took money and power away from the big dogs opened up the door for the indies, the amateurs, the little guy, the work-from-home content creators, the Intellivisiondudes on Youtube. Again, I totally understand why copyright and patents exist, but when the walls come crashing down, not only does this flood a deluge of content to the fans, but it opens doors for parody, reinvention, expansion, evolution, opportunity, re-imagination etc. Look at the explosion of music in the last 10 years. Look at the explosion of parody and remixed content on Youtube. I'm not saying we should do away with copyright, but when a holder sits on their hands and does nothing, the fans miss out. I suppose I'm a hippy in a sense, but I say we should have a copyright hiatus day where you can do whatever you want for that day without getting in trouble :grin: That being said, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I held any copyrights and was missing out on profits while someone else was profiting immensely from my hard work, then again....I could just sue the crap out of them ;)

I totally understand copyright and would never want a rights holder to be taken advantage of. That being said, I'm for harvesting the power of the little guy or the niche community. I used to buy a lot of CDs, but it got to the point where if you didn't sign with a major label, you didn't get discovered. Once you were signed, your CDs were sold for higher and higher prices. When they peaked around $18 for an average new release I pretty much quit buying. Then, the digital revolution took hold. MP3s got popular, the Internet became a huge player, music was easier and cheaper to duplicate and distribute, both legally and illegally. CD prices crashed. You can now get most new releases for around $10 and probably get some bonus content. And I'm pretty sure that the major record labels and Metallica are doing just fine. Not that the big labels and bands don't deserve their due, but the same force that took money and power away from the big dogs opened up the door for the indies, the amateurs, the little guy, the work-from-home content creators, the Intellivisiondudes on Youtube. Again, I totally understand why copyright and patents exist, but when the walls come crashing down, not only does this flood a deluge of content to the fans, but it opens doors for parody, reinvention, expansion, evolution, opportunity, re-imagination etc. Look at the explosion of music in the last 10 years. Look at the explosion of parody and remixed content on Youtube. I'm not saying we should do away with copyright, but when a holder sits on their hands and does nothing, the fans miss out. I suppose I'm a hippy in a sense, but I say we should have a copyright hiatus day where you can do whatever you want for that day without getting in trouble :grin: That being said, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I held any copyrights and was missing out on profits while someone else was profiting immensely from my hard work, then again....I could just sue the crap out of them ;)

It's not a matter of whether they make money or are doing fine or not; it's a matter of respect for the law and other people's property. I guess it's easy to flip the moral high ground when it's someone else's property. We can all justify it in many ways (they have enough money, I tried asking and they didn't respond, I'm not making any money out of it, etc., etc.), but it's not necessarily right.

As for all that remixed content in YouTube well, it is debatable whether a society based purely on derivative content is any richer than one that strives to generate original creative works. Quantity is not necessarily quality, no matter how entertaining or funny it seems.

Remember this, every time you see a video portraying, say, Harry Potter characters, you automatically fill in a entire world of context, moods, and character personalities, based on recognition of the topic--all off it that comes for free to the derivative author, who did not have to think one bit on character development or atmosphere descriptions, etc.. This is fully intentional, and it's lazy.

But to each his own.

Well, I'll stop my rant now. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Cheers,

dZ.